“Well below standard and unreliable shuttle”

Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South
Ranked #37 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Well below standard and unreliable shuttle”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed here after booking on hotwire. Reception was incredibly busy and it took over 30 minutes to be able to leave our luggage in storage. Did not feel comfortable in the room, the place was really run down and in need of serious renovation. The bathroom was dirty with hairs and grime on the floors, carpets in the room were sticky. I did not want to sleep there. Location was about 15 minutes from the airport. The shuttle arrived 40 minutes late and as a result some people missed their flights. I understand the need to find something when traveling on a budget but my advice would be to stay elsewhere and spend a little more.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank freqworld_traveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Cumberland, Wisconsin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

We arrived late Sunday afternoon, joining a group of friends who were already there. We were all staying there the night before our cruise left. Loved the free shuttle from the airport, driver was nice and helped with our bags. Hotel was sold out because of the large group cruising. So checkin was a bit of a wait time. At check-in, Eddie told me my total balance due was $148.xx. (note the group rate for saturday night was $135+tax=$148.xx and the group rate for Sunday was $89+tax=$99.xx). I told hime, "no, the rate is $89 +tax for sunday" and he insisted that it was not, that it was the $135. I never travel without my print outs of my confirmations. Low and behold the confirmation stated $89! Only then did he make the adjustment, and wasn't happy about it. Whatever. He gave us the keys to our room, we trekked all the way there with all of our luggage, dropped off our luggage changed into some warm weather clothes (traveling from Wisconsin) and headed down to the pool, where the rest of our party was.
We hung out there all afternoon/evening. My husband and daughter were beat from traveling so they headed up to bed. A few hours later, around 11pm I headed back to the room. Searched around for the light switch, finally found it but didn't work. No lights. I had left over food Iwanted to put in the fridge, opened the fridge it was warm. Tried turning on the TV, no luck. No power to the alarm clock either. Phone worked though, I called the front desk, got Eddie. Told him that the only electricity that worked in our room was the phone and the bathroom light. He offered to send up maintenance, but with 2 of the 3 of us already sound asleep, I told him no.
In the morning, when checking out, I spoke with a Manager to let them know we were without power in our room, and they may want to fix it before the next person checks in. I never ask for anything, but I thought it wouldve been nice for them to offer me a refund or discount on my room or a credit towards my next stay, anything at all. Nothing was offered. Not even a "Thank You for letting us know. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Nothing.
Tried emailing the Manager and detailing our concerns, with run around. Automated response emails stating, please contact our corporate offices, etc. Just gave up.
We would not stay here again.

Room Tip: get something close to the pool or you'll be carting all your luggage a very long way.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank kallenbachn
Waterloo, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

We paid nearly $200 for one night prior to a cruise. It wasn't bad, but sure not worth $200. The taps weren't working correctly, the lobby is very crowded on transports to the ships.

One other thing. The company in the lobby offering transfers from the cruise port to the airport was charging $10 per passenger (and likely a tip on that). Our cab fare was only $11.30 total. I'm glad I checked before booking tickets.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark_Waterloo_ON
bloomfield hills, mi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

I was conflicted about staying here based on the reviews. This I can tell you. For the price it is a fine place to stay pre or post cruise (or anything). It is not a beach front hotel. It is not a luxury hotel. It is a safe location to spend the night. My room was spotless (although the bathtub did not drain well). My bed was comfortable, I had free wifi and a decent breakfast. There is even a small bar so I was able to enjoy a beer by the pool before turning in.
The front desk is very busy pre cruise. I did sign up for transportation the night before. That is another bonus free shuttle from airport and then to cruise terminal. I also paid $10.00 for post cruise transportation to airport. (There is a stand in the lobby to sign up). That was a little more disorganized, but I made it to the airport.
I was traveling alone and felt safe. I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Princeton, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We used this hotel for a crusie. We stayed the night before the cruise and parked our car there during. The hotel is an avg hotel and could use some updated/refreshing. Overall the staff was nice. The hotel is def busy before and after a cruise with people returning and or checking in. The parking lot is well lite at night and they said they have camera that watch the lots. It is close to fast food joints and a K-mart for last min items needed. The company that does the shuttle to and from ports/airports are well organized and on time.

I will use them again if sailing out of Fort Lauderdale.

Room Tip: I would say rooms in the second building further from pool and bar are quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank MotorcycleCCTraveler
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

It was a place to stay one night when our flight was cancelled. Near the airport and cruise terminal. Very nice pool area, full breakfast, and accommodating staff at a very reasonable price. Room was a bit dark and drab with an old noisy air conditioning unit, but it was clean and fine for a short stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank judgebuff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/South Cruise Port
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Quality Inn & Suites Hollywood Boulevard
BEST WESTERN PLUS Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South? Share your experiences!