“Grotty and over priced”

Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South
Ranked #36 of 71 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

The room and it's contents were shabby and musty. Breakfast was edible if you are happy to eat very processed sugary food off disposable crockery - not a problem in itself but for the price I would have expected better. Perfectly adequate for a one night stay but dissappointingly expensive.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Businesstravller
There are newer reviews for Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South

Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel was just such an unexpected pleasure... Finding a safe and inexpensive hotel in Fort Lauderdale is a huge challenge. I never thought it was possible to have both; safety and value... This is it. My search is over.

I had another unexpected layover in Fort Lauderdale and had to spend the night... This was the third cheapest room I could find on the internet, but the first two cheapest were hotels were properties I've already decided I could never stay at again (see other reviews).

The shuttle from the airport was the fastest I've ever been picked up - ever - at Fort Lauderdale airport. I think I waited less than 15 minutes from the time I called. I was so shocked. This NEVER happens in Fort Lauderdale...

Check in was fast, but the walk to the room was a little far. The hotel is set up with with two buildings beyond the pool and front desk... The room I was given was on the 3rd floor, in the second building. It took a couple minutes, but it was made easy by the map the desk girl gave me.

The room itself was fine, for the price paid. It was clean, but a little worn down. I have no complaints though. Again, for the price, I was expecting much worse.

The internet is "okay." Netflix had a few hiccups trying to stream video. Even though the website touts "Free High Speed Internet," "High Speed" must be the brand name. My fasted connection speed registered under 2 Mbps.

Plug outlets were also a little hard to find. There was one on the desk and one in the bathroom... I had to move some furniture and unplug a lamp to plug in my cell phone.

Some other crappy little notes though: The vending machine stole $2 from me. And I also never received my requested wake up call. So be sure to set an alarm.

The breakfast is also pretty sad. There were some mystery meat sausages, fake eggs, and some pastries that seemed a little dated (they all stuck together into one giant pastry). Not great, but better than nothing. The coffee sucked, but the juice was good.

The shuttle departed for the airport on time the next morning, The morning shuttle was a little rickety, but again, an on time hotel/airport shuttle in Fort Lauderdale is like the Loch Ness Monster... Some people claim it exists, but no one really has any proof... Well, I'm a believer now... The shuttle was amazing.

Aside from the minor little annoyances listed above, I have to admit that I enjoyed my stay. I often have to stay the night in Fort Lauderdale on business and wish I would have found this hotel sooner. It is perfect for anyone trying to stay on a budget but not willing to compromise their safety. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Jason K
Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stayed there one night, the door wouldn't lock, had to ask for another room. Great sleep though on the pillow top bed. Clean but not perfect. Location was close to the I-95 but easy to get to and didnt here the traffic. The breakfast area was jamed that next morning and we couldnt get breakfast.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I stayed here the night before my flight out of the Fort Lauderdale airport because it was close and had a free airport shuttle. The room was pretty gross. It was VERY musty and the air conditioner must be loaded with mold, because every time it was on it stunk and I'd have an allergy attack. The ceiling had water stains and was peeling. The bathtub and surrounding tile had mold. The furniture was all beat up. The bathroom light needed to be replaced. It flickered horribly. The blowdryer was half broken and shut off after 10 seconds of being on. The walls had obvious repair spots like there had been a huge party or fight (there were huge scratches and dents on the door too). The elevator was wet, dirty and barely working (the buttons wouldn't light up and the floor number wasn't changing).
To say the least, I would never stay here again or recommend it to anyone else.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Rooms was clean ate breakfast pre cruise, it was normal hotel breakfast. Lots of people in a small room. Hotel was older hotel. Had to wait a long time at airport for shuttle, both times. On second night had to wait for almost 2 hours to get a room. We had reservations made in November this was March, hotel was busy had 17 couples ahead of us to get checked in. Let us go ahead and pay but could not have a key for two hours. Finally said we would check out and go somewhere else and they gave us our keys. Had one person working front desk with all those people trying to get keys for the night. McDonalds only close place to eat. So ate both times here for dinner. Shopping close but had to walk quite aways and didn't look safe to me. Doubt I will stay again. The first night the pool looked dirty also. We was not in it though.

Room Tip: Four floors to the hotel only one elevator.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 19, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights prior to our cruise departure. I must agree with all of the comments in other reviews that have been made in this "terrible" category.....never have I stayed in a more filthy disgusting hotel as this one!

As with many of the other reviews, we had the long wait for the shuttle at the airport; the first thing my wife did on arriving in the room was to check for bed-bugs; the door didn't close unless you slammed it hard enough that the windows rattled; the indoor breakfast area and the breakfast itself is a joke; the outside walkways are disgusting with litter all over, and enough spilled coke so that your shoes stuck to the floor; house-keeping was a joke as well; the shuttle process waiting in the hotel lobby to go to the ships is crowded and flat-out unorganized.

I strongly suggest that people who are considering staying here read some more of these reviews, they are all very accurate descriptions of the hotel and its services, or rather the lack thereof.

The most disturbing incident was when I was out on our 3rd floor outdoor walkway having a smoke (there are no indoor hallways)....a "well-aged" hippie walked by me going to his room....we exchanged greetings, and then 5 minutes later he returns and goes by me the other way with a rifle wrapped in a cloth !!!!! And there is absolutely no question that it was a rifle!

This is a very scary place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jimbob404
Reviewed April 18, 2013

This is an older property, that as mentioned caters mostly to the pre/post-cruise business. That results in that at times there may be a large rush of people checking in or out specially near cruise dates, which can lend a chaotic vibe to the front desk area. Locationwise it's a hit as it is very close to the airport and to I-95 and has a large (but not upscale) shopping area immediately next door.

You will not be in any risk of confusing it with a destination resort, but the rooms are of a good size and comfortable enough, though there is visible wear and tear and the design itself shows its age. The building layout is external-hallway so make sure the blackout shades are drawn and all the locking and bolting measures are taken, but I did not find it noisy at all and never felt unsafe. You get a parking tag to identify your car as belonging in the lot: the back exit of the parking area connects to the Hampton's next door and that facilitates exiting to the street since going back to the Comfort's own front entrance may get complicated by shuttles boarding.

Agreeable enough pool/bar/breakfast area; there are alternatives for food within walking distance (except some of the street layout is not very pedestrian-friendly) and many more within a short drive. This is a decent choice for when what is needed is a good bed and clean room in a very strategic location.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank JRDelirious
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
La Quinta Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport
Hampton Inn & Suites Ft. Lauderdale Airport/South Cruise Port
Days Inn Fort Lauderdale Hollywood/Airport South
Cambria Hotel & Suites Fort Lauderdale, Airport South & Cruise Port
Best Western Plus Fort Lauderdale Airport South Inn & Suites
Comfort Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport South & Cruise Port

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Airport / Cruise Port South? Share your experiences!