New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Good Food, Great Service....but Pricey” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Council Oak Steak and Seafood

Council Oak Steak and Seafood
Ranked #30 of 574 Restaurants in Hollywood
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: US 441/State Road 7
Coral Springs, Florida
“Good Food, Great Service....but Pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

My husband and I dined at Council Oak just before attending a concert at Hard Rock Live.

I'm a steakhouse aficionado, so I know what to expect from a top-notch steakhouse.

First, the service was amazing. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and very attentive. Our water glasses were filled up on a regular basis by the busboy as well.

The quality of the food was also very good. My husband ordered the 1/2 free-range chicken, and it was beautifully presented as well as delicious. I ordered the braised short-ribs, which was also beautiful in its presentation as well as great-tasting.

We each ordered desserts as well. We shared the fruit tart, which was blueberries and strawberries over mascarpone cheese in a pastry cup and also carrot cake. Both were excellent.

The only complaint i have is about the prices. Now, as I mentioned, I go to steakhouses whenever I can and have been to some in New York, Boston, and Las Vegas, as well as in south Florida and other major US cities. So I am familiar with top-notch steakhouse prices. But I was taken aback by the prices at Council Oak. I found them to be extremely high.

We didn't order appetizers or sides because the prices of everything was off-putting. I normally order ribeyes at steakhouses, but did not at Council Oak, because their Cowboy Ribeye was priced at $64. The two entrees we ordered were the cheapest entrees on the menu. Yes, they were good, but they weren't our first choice. Even though I am usually willing to pay whatever a place wants to charge, I do draw the line at $64 for a ribeye steak.

Another thing I didn't care for was the loudness of the music. In the restaurant bar, there was a live band, and the loudness of the band definitely carried over into the restaurant and was competing with the calming, sedate steakhouse music.

Was the food delicous? Yes.
Was the service excellent? Yes.
Will we dine here again? Probably not.

$118 for two entrees, two desserts and one glass of wine is just too much. Capital Grille is far more reasonable and every bit as delicious.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank fl_mermaid

Florida
“Tasty but pricey”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

The service was top notch. Very attentive staff that knew when to approach, but did so unobtrusively. Sounds silly, but I wonder if the long-necked bottles used to fill the water glasses were selected for just that reason...my glass was always filled but I don't recall seeing the staff doing it. I like that a lot.

The onion soup was excellent, with the cheese toasted rather perfectly. I've had my share of $40 steaks and this 8oz was ok, although it was a bit dried out on the edges. I wasn't impressed, wasn't not impressed, it was just ok. The side portions were ample, and while the garlic mashed potatoes were very creamy, the lobster mac and cheese seemed devoid of the lobster.

The Au Poivre sauce was just so-so for my tastes...I ended up adding pepper to it.

Something that irked me was the $13 for the small head of lettuce with two thin tomato slices, two half-moon slivers of red onion with a teaspoon of crumbled blue cheese and two tourines of dressing. Oh, and the vodka shot with a cheese-stuffed olive that came with it. I get that salads of this sort are nice profit points, but this seemed a bit egregious and the vodka was rough.

We also had a giant stone crab claw that was worth the $36. The mustard sauce that accompanied it was creamy and it did not overwhelm the taste of the crab meat.

Excluding my shot of whiskey, taxes and tip, the bill was about $170, which is commensurate with other steak places I've enjoyed. Sadly, the dried steak and head of lettuce drag down my review. There won't be a return visit.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lord H
Montreal, Canada
“Steakhouse in Heaven!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

located insiste the hard rock casino , is the best steakhouse i ever been too. The food is awesome and great!!!! little bite pricy but what can i say, i just liked it. It,s really a coosy restaurant so you don't feel thighen since i like to seat so i can relaxe and enjoy the food , which i did. I took the veal chop and it was well cook and seasonned. did enjoyed my time there expect for the casino area with smoke all over the place but that have nothing to do with the food at the council oak. the service was extra great with the bread they gave you at the beginning. the bread come with a mixture of olive and tomato i believe, i love it !!!! have to go back some time for sure!!!!

Ft. Lauderdale
“Just Good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

This restaurant is located inside the HardRock Casino in Hollywood FL. I found the dinning room a bit on the loud side. The atmosphere is comfortable with high ceilings and oversized chairs. As far as steakhouses go, the styling is what would be expected. The salads are large and could be easily split for two people as our server suggested. I had their lamb which was a bit overcooked, but it was still tasty.
Service was friendly and prompt. Prices are on the expensive side. As mentioned the restaurant is in the casino so you do have to walk through the smoke filled area to get to the restaurant, which I did not like.
Overall it was good but if I am just going out for dinner, there are better steakhouses around.

Santiago, Chile
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worthy experience for a satisfying evening that didn't disappoint.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous aged bone in ribeye not to be missed, succulent oysters, and fabulous salads; beautiful personification of what a steakhouse should be. Unfortunate casino environment but works for those that don't mind the hustle and bustle. Will be returning and suggest the adjacent jazz/live music cigar bar next door.