“Location, Location, Location plus friendly charm”
Review of Coral House Hotel

Coral House Hotel
Ranked #29 of 71 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed March 2, 2014

The HB Coral House is located about 100 feet off the main boardwalk of Hollywood Beach, and only a half block from the intercoastal waterway, which features a assortment of good restaurants like Giorgio's, and which is served by the water taxi. You cannot beat this location.

Rich and his uncle, Mike, are also helpful and friendly hosts who will make your stay comfortable and relaxing.

The property itself is not luxurious, but this is Hollywood Beach, a sort of informal "home grown" atmosphere! If you are looking for upscale accommodations, then you should head toward a different destination entirely.

Our room had everything we needed for a 4-night, low-budget getaway. On the plus side, the room had a refrigerator, microwave, and oven. However, if you are staying more than a week and are seriously planning on cooking, I would recommend reserving a larger room. The bathroom and bed were more than adequate, and the room was well-lit and clean. We would stay again if we were to return to the area.

Room Tip: Reserve a larger room if you stay more than a week or plan to prepare food in the room. The smaller...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HugADog

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The first night we arrived late due to our flight. The man at the office greated us with a warm "can I have your credit card", before we could get our luggage down. He gave us a very small unit for the price of a bigger one. We just noticed this after a week there. They didnt want to give us the difference in the price later on of course.

As soon in the room, we open the kids crib cz of the late hour. I had a shower of mice excrement. The crib was full of it. With a crying baby and an office closed. We couldnt do anything about it.
After spending two weeks in that hotel, I can tell you that the mice were not only in the crib but all over the place. In each one of the kitchen unit weve got as well as the office of the motel cz the crib was stored in there... As the manager said.

Another down part was that we had to run or beg for every single thing we needed, toilet paper, garbage bag, clean sheets and towels,covers, dish soap, etc. The office was closed all weekend long and the maid were none existent, so go figured who to asked for your basic needs.

The windows have no screens and the ac are so loud and all near the head of the beds, it makes it impossible to sleep with the ac on. And if you open the window, well hello bugs.

The only good part is the location.

If you wonder why this place has only good postings, its because the hotel manager makes the web site removes all the bad ones. Let see how long this one stays on! This comment IS BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor are way better than the first floor. The motel charges the same full...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Missgig
RichAube, Manager at Coral House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously and we are sorry you were unhappy with your stay.
But we would like to clarify several of the issues that you and your spouse (in the “Next to Major Construction Site” and “Need Improvement” reviews) outlined in your two reviews.
We are a small family owned motel. You arrived at the Coral House at 2 am….you were clearly agitated from your long flight and obviously wanted to check in...and made that very clear. So your comment regarding your check in experience is really not a fair representation of our level of service to our guests.
At the time of your reservation, we were very clear with you about your beginning your stay in one room and moving to another. We were fully booked for February and it was the last room we had available. We made it very clear that it was a smaller room (especially for 2 adults and 2 children) but you indicated you didn’t mind and would “make due” if that was all we had for room availability.
In terms of attending to our guests needs…I am not sure where to start. Our rooms are thoroughly cleaned and stocked with supplies (toilet paper, towels, soap etc) before each guest arrives. Our office is/was open every weekday from 9 am to 5 pm to attend to our guests needs (and on many weekend days as well as I operate my real estate office from that location as well). Because of the our size, we do not provide large size hotel service (daily maid service) but provide weekly cleaning/refreshing to our occupied guest rooms. In the interim additional towels, soap etc are always available from me in the office.
I apologize for the injury to your daughter. The safety and security of our guests is very important. We were not made aware that she had injured herself and if we were informed we would have made arrangements to get her medical attention if she required it. The courtyard gate in question here is a pretty standard gate and is spring loaded to automatically shut. We have never had an issue with it in the past and our maintenance person has recently inspected its operation to ensure that it is working properly.
You were accurate in your description of the port a crib we provided to you. What happen there is that the crib was stored outside in our storage shed and had not been used much. We apologized then and do now and dismissed it This should not have happened. As part of our ongoing property maintenance service, we have exterminator service performed at least twice a month to treat all rooms and common areas.
We strive to make the Coral House a clean, safe and affordable place for our guests to relax. Recently we have upgraded the furniture in many of the units, one of which was the unit you first stayed in. The Coral House is located pretty much in the heart of the Hollywood beach broadwalk, so we are very close to many of the beach attractions. It is a very safe and quiet area. We are also close to much of the infrastructure improvements that are taking place at the beach area. We have worked closely with the local contractors/city officials to ensure that their work minimizes any disruption to our guests.
It is clear that your stay from the start is not what you expected. However I feel your outline of issues that both of your reviews describe does not provide a clear representation of our hotel experience.

Reviewed February 19, 2014

I read the reviews and saw the pictures---so I knew it was small and not fancy--but the location sounded great and the previous reviews were very positive. In short I was told I would have an ocean view room which later changed to "that was booked but I will give you a larger room"---too late to change plans. Our room was very small,shabby and less than clean.The room felt like something kids would go to for spring break with extremely worn furniture to say the least--we slept in our clothes for the 1 night we stayed. We tried to make the best of it ---but the thought of staying there for 10 nights was just not something we could stand. I felt dirty and a bit scared in the neighborhood. We left the next day and spent our first full day of vacation scrambling to find other accommodations (which turned out great--although in another city).
I would not recommend for couples but probably great for a single guy or guys who wants to be close to the beach.
Rich and I worked out an amicable arrangement after our departure.He also thanked me for my "third person point of view" and has since gotten a new bed and furniture in the room.There is major construction going on next door to hotel also.
I do believe he is trying and feel that the place will eventually come together as all of Hollywood seemed to be in a state of some deterioration and is trying to make a comeback. It would have just been nice to have a "realistic" idea of what to expect.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sweetbb
RichAube, Manager at Coral House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2014

We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously and we agreed with reviewers estimate of the furniture in this unit. As part of our plan to continually improve the quality of stay for all our our guests, we have replaced the bed and furniture in this unit and several others. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and we are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations

We might take issue with the "Hollywood beach is in a state of deterioration/that neighborhood is scary"….the city has spent several million dollars improving the broad walk area and the beach area is very safe day or nite.
In terms of the motel room size, the unit the reviewer stayed in is a standard size motel room….approximately 335 square feet. The older, oversized furniture we had in the unit at the time probably did contribute to it being perceived as small and drab…..but the room has gone through a complete facelift now and looks very nice.

Please consider us next time you are visiting the Hollywood Beach area

Reviewed February 14, 2014

I had to go to Hollywood Florida for a family matter and was looking for a reasonable place to stay. Fortunately, I found the website for this hotel, read reviews, and decided it was worth trying. When I arrived, I received a warm greeting from Rich, the owner, and immediately felt welcomed. I found my room, which was an efficiency, to be very adequate. Everything was neat and clean. Rich, certainly made sure I had everything I needed. When I wasn't involved in family matters, I was able to walk only a few steps down to the beach. I would enjoy walking along the boardwalk, both for exercise, and of course the neat shops and the ocean view. Rich is the kind of person who seems committed to you enjoying your stay, and I would recommend the Coral House for sure.

Room Tip: Rich, will help you find a room that suits you
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 9, 2014

Thank You for taking time to write us a review. Bill, you make being an innkeeper easy. I remember your friendly ways and smile. I enjoy my job and it shows. Hollywood Beach and the surroundings due the rest. We appreciate your review and are very glad that The Coral House and Hollywood Beach were all that you expected and more. We hope to see you back in 2015.
Rich

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Rich took care of me for several winters at the coral house and last year as my realtor got me a great deal on a house in Hollywood great location great rooms great prices . very close to amphitheater, best restaurants and bars. Maybe 22 steps to the beach. better go.. have fun...wally brown

Room Tip: NE room has excellent view of sunrise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2014

Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. We were fortunate to have you as a returning guest, but I was as fortunate to be "Your Personal Real Estate Consultant & Friend, For Life!" That is my slogan. Wally & I have done just that. Our relationship started thanks to The Coral House and his multiple trips back. We became friends after he visited us more than a handful of times throughout a 7 year period. Finally he used my services along with my company's = For Life Realty. We found him his new home and only a few miles from the beach. We can also assist any other guests that may need a yearly/long term rental or to make a purchase. Thank You again Wally Gator ;o)
Rich

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed for a full month and the location is absolutely perfect. A few steps to the Hollywood beach broadwalk. Hotel is clean but vintage. Rich is great to deal with. It's good that the city just added a new parking lot across the street as the parking in Hollywood beach can be a challenge at certain times of the day on certain days.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Thank You for taking the time to write us a review...

Great Value + Great Location = Satisfied Guest ! ! ! What we strive for . . .

Location is ideal and our rates are affordable plus seem to be right on for almost all of our guests. Being in the real estate biz for 20+ years, I know what the correct market value is for our apartments. We do our very best to keep the rooms updated & clean. The Coral House is "The Oldest" standing Building on Hollywood Beach, so vintage, we are. As for Rich, he is a good and fair guy to deal with, if I must say so myself. ;o)

Much appreciated ~ Rich

Reviewed September 5, 2013

8/24/2013

Hey guys, my name is Sergio B. and this review is for The Coral House Motel in Hollywood Florida.

Initially I had Googled places to stay in Hollywood FL and found a few places... Lots of hotel chains (really pricey) and just flat out dingy spots (with really crappy reviews from trip advisor and Google).

So time passes and I find this spot. So far it had good reviews and enough pics to satisfy my curiosity. I then go on the website, dig a little deeper, and decide to give Rich (Landlord) a call... Not to blow smoke up anyones @$$, but Rich seemed to be a very friendly, easy-going, knowledgeable guy. He answered ALL my questions, and I didn't really notice any hesitation or frustration coming from him.

I decided to go for it: make the reservation, buy the plane tickets and start prepping. Initially, I had rented an efficiency for the week (Sat-Sat) for a VERY reasonable price. Like everyone says, this place had it all:

1. Half a block from the beach/broad walk.
2. Clean.
3. Friendly staff (Rich and his uncle).

When my wife and I got there, Rich UPGRADED us to a one bedroom! Ocean view, access to a balcony/patio. There was a washer/dryer on site also. I also let him know when we got their, my plan was to smoke a cigar; so later on in the week he calls me and says "I got a surprise for ya man." He got me a cigar.

Our spot was good for what we needed... Everything worked just fine, and we weren't right ON the broad walk (too much of that late night noise), so all went well.

Rich is a friendly guy for sure. He was very accommodating and kept up on communication, which is a big plus for me. If anyone is thinking about staying here for a few days or a week, DOOOO it. You won't regret it. I know I didn't.

Room Tip: Really, any room is a good room because it's away from the broad walk... (Which means peace and...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Sergio B
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank You for taking time from your day and writing us a review. We try to remember to ask each guest to do so, but many forget or are just to "busy". We appreciate it and I am sure that other potential guests appreciate the reviews, also. I remember Sergio not only because him & his better half, lol, stayed here only a few weeks back, but because he was very diligent when making his discion. Which reminded me of myself. When planning a trip, not only is the location and price important, but so is who is going to be your neighbor and/or “landlord.” We understand this and do our best to make everyone’s stay a comfortable one. We work with what we have = cleanliness, location affordability and friendliness. Staying in contact with guests is also important for anyone in a service/hospitality industry. Yes, We are fortunate to be only 83 steps to the beach, but far away enough so that we don't get any noise from the beach. Just the calm~cool ocean breezes! Good Story: There is an older latin gentleman that walks the broadwalk selling hand rolled cigars. I don’t smoke them, to often, so usually I tell him “no thanks.” I’m glad I remembered that Sergio liked them. Little things go a far way in life sometimes. Cheers and hope you come back soon. ;o)