“Disappointing for a couple.”
Review of Coral House Hotel

Coral House Hotel
Ranked #26 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Cleveland, Ohio
“Disappointing for a couple.”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I read the reviews and saw the pictures---so I knew it was small and not fancy--but the location sounded great and the previous reviews were very positive. In short I was told I would have an ocean view room which later changed to "that was booked but I will give you a larger room"---too late to change plans. Our room was very small,shabby and less than clean.The room felt like something kids would go to for spring break with extremely worn furniture to say the least--we slept in our clothes for the 1 night we stayed. We tried to make the best of it ---but the thought of staying there for 10 nights was just not something we could stand. I felt dirty and a bit scared in the neighborhood. We left the next day and spent our first full day of vacation scrambling to find other accommodations (which turned out great--although in another city).
I would not recommend for couples but probably great for a single guy or guys who wants to be close to the beach.
Rich and I worked out an amicable arrangement after our departure.He also thanked me for my "third person point of view" and has since gotten a new bed and furniture in the room.There is major construction going on next door to hotel also.
I do believe he is trying and feel that the place will eventually come together as all of Hollywood seemed to be in a state of some deterioration and is trying to make a comeback. It would have just been nice to have a "realistic" idea of what to expect.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sweetbb
RichAube, Manager at Coral House Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously and we agreed with reviewers estimate of the furniture in this unit. As part of our plan to continually improve the quality of stay for all our our guests, we have replaced the bed and furniture in this unit and several others. We strive to accommodate all of our guests and their needs and we are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations

We might take issue with the "Hollywood beach is in a state of deterioration/that neighborhood is scary"….the city has spent several million dollars improving the broad walk area and the beach area is very safe day or nite.
In terms of the motel room size, the unit the reviewer stayed in is a standard size motel room….approximately 335 square feet. The older, oversized furniture we had in the unit at the time probably did contribute to it being perceived as small and drab…..but the room has gone through a complete facelift now and looks very nice.

Please consider us next time you are visiting the Hollywood Beach area

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I had to go to Hollywood Florida for a family matter and was looking for a reasonable place to stay. Fortunately, I found the website for this hotel, read reviews, and decided it was worth trying. When I arrived, I received a warm greeting from Rich, the owner, and immediately felt welcomed. I found my room, which was an efficiency, to be very adequate. Everything was neat and clean. Rich, certainly made sure I had everything I needed. When I wasn't involved in family matters, I was able to walk only a few steps down to the beach. I would enjoy walking along the boardwalk, both for exercise, and of course the neat shops and the ocean view. Rich is the kind of person who seems committed to you enjoying your stay, and I would recommend the Coral House for sure.

Room Tip: Rich, will help you find a room that suits you
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2014
Thank You for taking time to write us a review. Bill, you make being an innkeeper easy. I remember your friendly ways and smile. I enjoy my job and it shows. Hollywood Beach and the surroundings due the rest. We appreciate your review and are very glad that The Coral House and Hollywood Beach were all that you expected and more. We hope to see you back in 2015.
Rich
Hollywood, Florida
Reviewed November 21, 2013

Rich took care of me for several winters at the coral house and last year as my realtor got me a great deal on a house in Hollywood great location great rooms great prices . very close to amphitheater, best restaurants and bars. Maybe 22 steps to the beach. better go.. have fun...wally brown

Room Tip: NE room has excellent view of sunrise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this review, December 3, 2014
Thank You for taking the time to write us a review. We were fortunate to have you as a returning guest, but I was as fortunate to be "Your Personal Real Estate Consultant & Friend, For Life!" That is my slogan. Wally & I have done just that. Our relationship started thanks to The Coral House and his multiple trips back. We became friends after he visited us more than a handful of times throughout a 7 year period. Finally he used my services along with my company's = For Life Realty. We found him his new home and only a few miles from the beach. We can also assist any other guests that may need a yearly/long term rental or to make a purchase. Thank You again Wally Gator ;o)
Rich
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I stayed for a full month and the location is absolutely perfect. A few steps to the Hollywood beach broadwalk. Hotel is clean but vintage. Rich is great to deal with. It's good that the city just added a new parking lot across the street as the parking in Hollywood beach can be a challenge at certain times of the day on certain days.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
Thank You for taking the time to write us a review...

Great Value + Great Location = Satisfied Guest ! ! ! What we strive for . . .

Location is ideal and our rates are affordable plus seem to be right on for almost all of our guests. Being in the real estate biz for 20+ years, I know what the correct market value is for our apartments. We do our very best to keep the rooms updated & clean. The Coral House is "The Oldest" standing Building on Hollywood Beach, so vintage, we are. As for Rich, he is a good and fair guy to deal with, if I must say so myself. ;o)

Much appreciated ~ Rich
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed September 5, 2013

8/24/2013

Hey guys, my name is Sergio B. and this review is for The Coral House Motel in Hollywood Florida.

Initially I had Googled places to stay in Hollywood FL and found a few places... Lots of hotel chains (really pricey) and just flat out dingy spots (with really crappy reviews from trip advisor and Google).

So time passes and I find this spot. So far it had good reviews and enough pics to satisfy my curiosity. I then go on the website, dig a little deeper, and decide to give Rich (Landlord) a call... Not to blow smoke up anyones @$$, but Rich seemed to be a very friendly, easy-going, knowledgeable guy. He answered ALL my questions, and I didn't really notice any hesitation or frustration coming from him.

I decided to go for it: make the reservation, buy the plane tickets and start prepping. Initially, I had rented an efficiency for the week (Sat-Sat) for a VERY reasonable price. Like everyone says, this place had it all:

1. Half a block from the beach/broad walk.
2. Clean.
3. Friendly staff (Rich and his uncle).

When my wife and I got there, Rich UPGRADED us to a one bedroom! Ocean view, access to a balcony/patio. There was a washer/dryer on site also. I also let him know when we got their, my plan was to smoke a cigar; so later on in the week he calls me and says "I got a surprise for ya man." He got me a cigar.

Our spot was good for what we needed... Everything worked just fine, and we weren't right ON the broad walk (too much of that late night noise), so all went well.

Rich is a friendly guy for sure. He was very accommodating and kept up on communication, which is a big plus for me. If anyone is thinking about staying here for a few days or a week, DOOOO it. You won't regret it. I know I didn't.

Room Tip: Really, any room is a good room because it's away from the broad walk... (Which means peace and...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sergio B
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank You for taking time from your day and writing us a review. We try to remember to ask each guest to do so, but many forget or are just to "busy". We appreciate it and I am sure that other potential guests appreciate the reviews, also. I remember Sergio not only because him & his better half, lol, stayed here only a few weeks back, but because he was very diligent when making his discion. Which reminded me of myself. When planning a trip, not only is the location and price important, but so is who is going to be your neighbor and/or “landlord.” We understand this and do our best to make everyone’s stay a comfortable one. We work with what we have = cleanliness, location affordability and friendliness. Staying in contact with guests is also important for anyone in a service/hospitality industry. Yes, We are fortunate to be only 83 steps to the beach, but far away enough so that we don't get any noise from the beach. Just the calm~cool ocean breezes! Good Story: There is an older latin gentleman that walks the broadwalk selling hand rolled cigars. I don’t smoke them, to often, so usually I tell him “no thanks.” I’m glad I remembered that Sergio liked them. Little things go a far way in life sometimes. Cheers and hope you come back soon. ;o)
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Coral House is close to the beach and boardwalk (50meters). The rooms are presented clean and the friendly staff make sure you feel welcome. My husband and I stayed here for 9 nights and we would recommend this place to all looking for value for money with a great location.

• Stayed May 2013
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. I do agree with you regarding the price and value. They are "Right On"

We are also members of The Greater Hollywood Chamber of Commerce for the last 5 years and whenever I promote our business, I always say: " Coral House is Clean, Affordable & only 83 steps to The Beach"

Hope to see you back in sunny Florida soon. ;o)

~ Rich
Farmingville, New York
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Great place, right on the water, clean, and reasonably priced. Very friendly staff. Lovecit would def stay there again on my next trip! We were moving to the area and did not find a place yet and we foubd the ad for the coral house on cl. Rich was extremely accomidating.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maureen E
RichAube, Owner at Coral House Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank You for taking the time to leave a review. Getting feedback from our guests is really the best way to find out what it is we are doing right and vise-versa. Our location is ideal, our staff is friendly and our rooms, courtyard and hallways are always kept clean. We do hope you come back soon. Returning guests are always a delight. Nothing better than seeing a familar face.
The sun is out and the ocean is calling your name ~ hurry back ;o)
~ Rich