“Really nice course”

31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Really nice course”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My husband said this was his favorite course for the week. He tried several but liked this one best and the prices were reasonable.

Visited January 2014

Deerfield beach Florida
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“I just dont like this course”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

Course was in decent condition. I have played here numerous times over the past few years and there is something about his course I just don't like. I'm not saying you should not try it. I will not go back. The staff is very nice and bend over backwards to help you.

Visited January 2014
Washington DC
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 206 helpful votes
“A decent golf course at a good price”
Reviewed January 9, 2014

This is the second year in a row that we spend the Christmas & New Years holiday in Fort Lauderdale. As a matter of background, we tend to have a golfing “themed” vacation as I carry a 4.1 handicap index and living in the northeast United States, my golfing season goes from April until November. When writing golf reviews, I try to measure each individual course based on the course layout & design, conditions, price, pace of play and staff. We completed four rounds of golf: two at Jacaranda East, one at Bonaventure East and one at Hillcrest country club.

This review is for the round at Hillcrest Country Club:

Course design and layout- 3 stars

As one plays the course, one can see that it is an “older” style course with numerous holes side by side built in a more mature neighborhood of Hollywood, Florida. Actually opened in 1965 and designed by two well-known Florida architects Devlin/Von Hagge and later updated by Joe Lee in 2000. One of the pleasant updates has been some very large and undulated green. So, in some cases while you may rejoice on being on the green and far away from the hole, it will definitely cause you to have three putts! Given this, the shorter course length is compensated by required accuracy with your 150 yard shots!

The par is 72 with four sets of tee boxes: 7076 from the Championship tees, 6677 from the blue tees, 6270 from the white tees and 5207 from the ladies tees. I played from the Championship tees making the slope of 139 and a rating of 73.4.

The course is easy to play with no too much trouble for errant balls. Only on some holes do you find some very tight OBs which can penalize you with a slight fade or draw. On several holes, 4, 5 and 6, you are neighbored by a truck depot which is a next door.

Conditions- 3.5 stars

Overall the conditions are average since the course receives very heavy traffic (as deduced from the tee boxes and fairways). The Tif-Eagle greens provide for a decent fast roll. But do not be fooled on those short putts as the slight undetected breaks in the green will be irritating sliding your ball ever so away from the hole.

The bunkers have good sand quantity and very few rocks in them.

The course drainage is good. I played during a heavy downpour and did not find any “wet” areas on the course.

Price- 4.5 stars

My tee time was at 1:45 pm and I paid $45. The course was packed … and I suspect this attractive price makes it so.

Pace of Play- 2.0 stars

Our tee time was at 1:45 and we teed off at 2:20pm. In the winter, this tee time does not permit you to finish 18 holes. We had to stop on the 16th hole with complete darkness. The fairly slow pace of play (we were at 4 hours and 45 minutes on the 16th hole) certainly did not help.

We did not see any marshals.

Staff- 4.0 stars

The staff at this course is friendly. The starter is very nice and flexible.

I will have to give them another try on my next visit because I was not able to enjoy their signature 18th island green hole!

Visited December 2013