“Environmental Conscientiousness”

GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Environmental Conscientiousness”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I agree with all of the glowing accolades that Steve and Josias have justifiably earned from their guests. Indeed, our amiable hosts were helpful and the rooms are comfortable and spotlessly clean. What also sets this lovely inn apart is the thoughtful landscaping. The owners display a strong environmental ethic that is refreshingly different from the typical, commercial Florida motel that butts up against the ocean and reflects rampant, uncontrolled development and an indifferent, uncaring attitude to the native environment.

The Desoto Oceanview Inn is surrounded by vegetation. The grounds are well maintained and the gardens are planted with vegetables and numerous fruit trees as well as colourful ornamental specimens. We noticed a pineapple and fig tree that were understoried by thyme, lavender and basil. There are small pools that support wildlife such as small, shy anoles that are given a safe haven from the marauding, non-native feral cats that decimate the song bird population and transmit toxoplasmosis (read the January 2013 issue of National Geographic on this endemic disease and its impact on humans).

My husband and I can't wait to return to the Desoto Inn. It is a quaint, welcoming, lovely oasis that provides hope for conservation of native flora and fauna. We were also impressed by the variety of vegetables that guests are welcome to harvest such as tomatoes and peppers.

Steve and Josias, you two are amazing! Kudos and our thanks for a wonderful, relaxing vacation.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Laura288
extraclean, General Manager at The Desoto Inn, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for recognizing our commitment to the environment, and especially our Florida native environment. We love the challenge of creating an environmentally-friendly garden, and we love it even more when a guest appreciates it. We are now nearly 90% native at the Oceanview, and our Ocean Spray garden is 100% native Florida. Thanks again for the beautiful review, come back soon, we'll recruit you to help in the gardens. Have a wonderful summer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New York City
Reviewed April 8, 2013

So many rave reviews I guess I will give another. My first thought is to keep this a secret and have the place all to myself...myself and my wife. But it's way too late for that. Wherever you look or to whom you speak; anyone who has experienced this little gem will tell you the same things: this a quiet, tucked away, stone's throw from the beach, perfect hospitality, super clean, quiet, totally welcoming, balm of an escape. The innkeepers, Steve and Josias treated us like old friends and made our stay a breeze from the very first moment and until we departed. They gave us numerous suggestions on what to do, what to see, where to eat, and where to rent a car from a place that provided the same superb service. This is an old school (friendly) , unpretentious, little hideaway where you can unwind and escape the glitz and hustle of the so-called fancy joints. This is not an upscale hotel with white glove room service and a spa, but that is exactly what I DON'T. What they have is peace and quiet, a personal atmosphere,and quite sufficient kitchens and amenities so you can sit around in your bathing suit all day and REALLY relax. A couple of trips to the supermarket...by bicycle...and we were basically set for the week. (There are bikes for the using right on the site.) We prefer cooking so that we are not always "experimenting" with quality and service, nor do we have to be driving around too much.( Some "friends" we met at the place very generously drove us to a few places to eat.) Go to the farmer's market and to the food truck night in Hollywood!
I could go on and on....if you like it simple and quiet,this is the place.
Oh, during the summer they have yoga on the beach and health-food breakfasts!

Room Tip: Our room was close to the street, but seemed to be the sunniest and breeziest. And it was quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Micycle
Canton, Ohio
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My week-long stay at The Desoto was just the retreat I needed after 8 long months of working 70-hour weeks. My gal pal and I stayed in a loft-style apartment with a kitchenette. The decor was soothing and made me feel like I was a real Floridian living in a Oceanside Hideaway. The hotel is literally next to the ocean, along a quiet stretch of the beach, 2 miles away from the main boardwalk. Close but not too close to the boardwalk strip. It was so relaxing. The owner and host extraordinaire, Steve, was so hospitable. He went above and beyond to make us feel welcomed and to help us find fun things to do around Hollywood. We so enjoyed spending time with them! The vegan breakfasts are amazing!!!!! You will love vegan eats after your stay at The Desoto! The gardens were exotically beautiful and alluring. We sat in the gardens every night and soaked in their refreshing beauty. The city of Hollywood, Florida has a fun beach strip, a metropolitan downtown area, and an upscale suburban area-- the best of multi-worlds! Altogether it was a WONDERFUL trip and I would do it again!!
~Amanda (and Ashley)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Amanda M
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great cozy rooms with all the ameneties you will need. The breakfast daily is delicious and all organic. The hotel offers guest umbrellas and beach chairs, along with bikes you can explore the board walk in. Definitely will be back!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank rsauleda
extraclean, Manager at The Desoto Inn, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
With our breakfast service just getting ready to begin again for the summer season, it's great to hear our guests talking about how good the breakfasts are. My favorite is pancake Tuesdays and blueberry muffin day, although Radically Raw Fridays is also great, you know, there's simply not a bad day is there!. Come on back soon for some more great food and enjoyment at the Desoto, and thank you so much for your lovely review. Steve
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My boyfriend & I are staying here for the week & we love it here. I absolutely adore this place. I cannot stand resort type hotels & wanted to avoid such an experience. The Desoto is quiet, quaint, relaxing, clean, & tranquil. The gardens are beautiful. The birds in the garden are so pretty. I enjoy hearing them chirp as I'm waking up. We've taken two bike rides down to the Hollywood beach boardwalk so far with the bikes that are provided for Desoto guests at no additional cost. There's beach chairs also for guests. It was nice to see beach towels already in our room when we got here. The beach is literally steps from our room which is amazing. It's so refreshing to be on a beach that is basically private & not over crowded like at resort hotels. Our room is cute & comfortable. Nicely decorated. Glad to see a coffee maker in the kitchen! Very nice. We went grocery shopping & stored everything in our fridge so we can cook our own meals for the week. The Desoto is incredible & I highly recommend staying here. I appreciate the personal attention that you will not get at large hotels. I never want to leave!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Nicole_lee7
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay, and hope the next time you visit us, you'll be able to stay longer. I love it when the guests take the bikes out to explore the area, I just know they will come back refreshed and excitied about their discoveries. Thank you again, and hurry back, Steve
MI
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have contacted this hotel 2X in the last week via their reservation request on their website, and yesterday via the phone regarding availability. Their website does not indicate whether there is availability or not, so the request is all you can do. I have yet to receive an email back or a call to let me know. I have since booked elsewhere, but I am disappointed that I could not reach this property to book. I don't know if this is typical or not, but it was quite frustrating when trying to solidify vacation plans and being unable to even find out if they have availability.

I am sure their property is great--just wish I would have been able to find out for myself. :(

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NJCARES
extraclean, Manager at The Desoto Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I am so sorry that we did not get back to NJCares regarding the possibility of staying with us at the Desoto, however, I am ecstatic that NJCares was able to find accommodations elsewhere. I am just sorry that a communications glitch earned us an overall "terrible" rating for the inn, so many people work so hard to make everything perfect for the guests. I also hope potential guests who read NJCares post will understand it was my fault (Steve, the manager) by somehow missing all those calls and e-mails, I just hope this hasn't happened to too many of our friends looking to stay with us. My apologies to NJCares and anyone else who has had this experience, we really try hard, and we are going to find out why this happened!
Vevey, Switzerland
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the Desoto Oceanview Inn for one week on a business trip, and invited my wife and our 2-month old son along. The Desoto was the perfect place for us as I was busy at the Nova Oceanographic Centre located just up the road, and my wife and baby could make the most of the comfortable apartment and the beach located a mere 100 meters. Our apartment had a small lounge with an open plan kitchen, a bedroom with a comfortable double bed and a bathroom.
The owner welcomed us and was very helpful in our one week stay in the area. The garden offers a number of relaxing and comfortable shaded seating areas to relax, and there are a number of bikes for the guests. I would recommend breakfast at the nearby Grandpa's Bakery and Restaurant (2 miles). The hotel is actually separated on both sides of the small road, with rooms on the one side and apartments on the other.
I can only recommend the Desoto to anyone visiting the area! Great place, and will definitely come back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family