“Love it here” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 69 Hotels in Hollywood
GreenLeadersGold level
“Love it here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

My boyfriend & I are staying here for the week & we love it here. I absolutely adore this place. I cannot stand resort type hotels & wanted to avoid such an experience. The Desoto is quiet, quaint, relaxing, clean, & tranquil. The gardens are beautiful. The birds in the garden are so pretty. I enjoy hearing them chirp as I'm waking up. We've taken two bike rides down to the Hollywood beach boardwalk so far with the bikes that are provided for Desoto guests at no additional cost. There's beach chairs also for guests. It was nice to see beach towels already in our room when we got here. The beach is literally steps from our room which is amazing. It's so refreshing to be on a beach that is basically private & not over crowded like at resort hotels. Our room is cute & comfortable. Nicely decorated. Glad to see a coffee maker in the kitchen! Very nice. We went grocery shopping & stored everything in our fridge so we can cook our own meals for the week. The Desoto is incredible & I highly recommend staying here. I appreciate the personal attention that you will not get at large hotels. I never want to leave!

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Nicole_lee7
extraclean, Manager at The Desoto Inn, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we are happy that you enjoyed your stay, and hope the next time you visit us, you'll be able to stay longer. I love it when the guests take the bikes out to explore the area, I just know they will come back refreshed and excitied about their discoveries. Thank you again, and hurry back, Steve

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
MI
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I have contacted this hotel 2X in the last week via their reservation request on their website, and yesterday via the phone regarding availability. Their website does not indicate whether there is availability or not, so the request is all you can do. I have yet to receive an email back or a call to let me know. I have since booked elsewhere, but I am disappointed that I could not reach this property to book. I don't know if this is typical or not, but it was quite frustrating when trying to solidify vacation plans and being unable to even find out if they have availability.

I am sure their property is great--just wish I would have been able to find out for myself. :(

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank NJCARES
extraclean, Manager at The Desoto Inn, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I am so sorry that we did not get back to NJCares regarding the possibility of staying with us at the Desoto, however, I am ecstatic that NJCares was able to find accommodations elsewhere. I am just sorry that a communications glitch earned us an overall "terrible" rating for the inn, so many people work so hard to make everything perfect for the guests. I also hope potential guests who read NJCares post will understand it was my fault (Steve, the manager) by somehow missing all those calls and e-mails, I just hope this hasn't happened to too many of our friends looking to stay with us. My apologies to NJCares and anyone else who has had this experience, we really try hard, and we are going to find out why this happened!
Vevey, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I stayed at the Desoto Oceanview Inn for one week on a business trip, and invited my wife and our 2-month old son along. The Desoto was the perfect place for us as I was busy at the Nova Oceanographic Centre located just up the road, and my wife and baby could make the most of the comfortable apartment and the beach located a mere 100 meters. Our apartment had a small lounge with an open plan kitchen, a bedroom with a comfortable double bed and a bathroom.
The owner welcomed us and was very helpful in our one week stay in the area. The garden offers a number of relaxing and comfortable shaded seating areas to relax, and there are a number of bikes for the guests. I would recommend breakfast at the nearby Grandpa's Bakery and Restaurant (2 miles). The hotel is actually separated on both sides of the small road, with rooms on the one side and apartments on the other.
I can only recommend the Desoto to anyone visiting the area! Great place, and will definitely come back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank MichaelScholl
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We returned for the second winter week-long trip to the Desoto for this wonderful inn with our 11 year old son. This time we stayed in a 1 BR apt. in the building across the street. Again, everything about the Desoto was clean and lovely, from the charming and attentive innkeepers Steve and Josias to the garden. When the garden in front of the second building is mature, that will be really something! Each day we rolled out of bed, walked a ridiculously short distance to the beach -- at 10 am each morning we were the only ones there-- and lolled around. Our eleven year old again made pesto one night with the basil he picked in the garden and equipment from the well-stocked kitchen. I am more and more convinced that small places are the way to go -- well worth trading resort life, swimming pool, and crowds for the DeSoto's warmth, peace and beauty.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank blueberrypa
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I have really enjoyed my vacation from December 21,2012 till December 27,2012. Everything was awesome , amazing and appealing in this hotel. I stayed there with my gf and we really felt as we are back home. The owner of this hotel (Steve ) is a very friendly , helpful and courteous man. The hotel is nicely located near the beach. Everything is made available to you from beach seats, umbrellas and bicycles. Internet and parking are available too with a free of charge. Overall, the hotel was trendy, roomy, and worth the price.

I recommend this hotel for everyone who would like to have a fantastic vacation in Miami. Will return back for sure in the near future. With much respect and appreciation to the owner Steve.

Room Tip: Very near to the beach. Everything is available for a free of charge once you have the room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mohammad M
Lawrenceville, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This being my first trip to the Miami area, I was at first determined to play it safe and stay at a familiar Marriott, or Hilton, or Crowne Plaza. Then I stumbled on this place and the reviews were perfect, so I called the owner (Steve) up directly and made my reservation. This is the first time for me that a hotel has delivered everything as promised, plus more! Every square inch of the property is immaculate, and it seems every detail has been considered and perfected. I have never seen such a well-stocked hotel suite. There are towels, pillows, blankets, and dishes galore, and it is all extremely organized! The furniture is very tasteful and looks like that which you would have in your own home, so definitely not the standard-fare motel/hotel furniture. The Dania Beach area is very quiet to begin with, and this hotel is quiet all day and night. One of my favourite things about this hotel is the payment. You pay the room rate, and that's it. Steve does not fool with additional charges for internet, parking, air, etc. like almost every other hotel I looked at was charging. The beach is like ten feet away, so an extremely easy walk, and it is one beautiful stretch of beach! This place really feels like a home more than a hotel. My only regret is that I have to leave tomorrow!

Room Tip: All of the rooms appear very nice. I had the "studio" room, and it was very generous. All...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank JPNev1
Trieste, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We spent 4 nights in the Desoto Inns in the beginning of November. Our unit (F) has a king-size bed, a kitchenette very well equipped with everything we might need to prepare our own meals. Everything was in good conditions and very clean; the room had a reasonable price (99 USD/night).
The beach is at literally 30 seconds of walk from the place, it's not crowded at all, a beautiful place.
The garden surrounding the house is lovely and keeps the rooms hidden from the street.
There are bikes (but we did not use them), sunscreen and sunbeds available for free.
The manager Steve was very friendly with us, made us feel confortable during all our stay.
Free parking is available for guests, just out of the hotel.
The negative sides: the bedside window did not close completely - I saw these type of "swinging panels" windows elsewhere in Fort Lauderdale, so it seems they are typical there, but they do not provide noise insulation at all - the surroundings are very quite, but the hotel is at about 6 minutes from the Hollywood Intnl. Airport. Anyway, the flights stop around 11 PM and begin again around 7 AM, so it was not a huge problem. The air con was very noisy. It would have been impossible to keep it on overnight - we were lucky, that these were relatively cool nights, so we did not need it.
It took a bit to get hot water from the shower, but once flowing, it never failed.
Overall, it was a nice stay, I would definitively go again to the Desoto Inns.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
3 Thank BiBi493
extraclean, Manager at The Desoto Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Desoto, we try very hard to insure your comfort. I am sorry you had difficulties with the window, I have checked it out, the crank is broken, and Bob, our handyman, is replacing it as I write this note. I am not sure what I can do about the air conditioning unit, it is a brand new PTAC unit, it seems relatively quiet to me, but, if you are a light sleeper, I am sure it certainly could be noticeable. Last, but not least, the airport noise - we are just as anxious about it as you are. For the next 18 months, there will be a little more noise with the new runway construction. The alternate North-South runway is being used frequently because of runway closures. I wish we had more control over it. Quite frankly, I wish they would just leave the airport the way it was, it was convenient, human in scale, and easy to access. Progress, I guess. Thanks again for your review, we will work harder to gain a 5 star rating the next time you visit us.
Steve