WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Tough to review” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ataraxia by the Sea

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hollywood
Ataraxia by the Sea
Ranked #19 of 26 Hollywood B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Tough to review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stayed here in February and this is one spot that's tough to review. The owner Dean is a GREAT and FUNNY guy but at the same time after talking to him some I wonder if he’s just tired and needs to sell the place. The place has SOOOOOOO much potential but lacks in certain areas. The pros are that the room I stayed in was very nice with a big bathroom and tub. Room also has a small fridge and satellite TV. Bed was pretty comfortable but kind of felt like it was sinking in the middle. Now there is a pool that's heated which is cool if you want to take a dip at night BUT pool looks like no one cleans it. This turned me off and I didn't feel too comfortable going in. There is a BBQ grill and nice big table for you to eat. I’ve never stayed at a "bed and breakfast" so I didn't really know what to expect. Some day’s dean would cook breakfast others where he wasn't around so all you had was coffee, orange juice, fruit and yogurt. The best part of this place is the location as you’re literally steps away from the beach and a lot of restaurants on the boardwalk. The beach chairs that you can use from the B&B need to be replaced I didn’t even want to ask for the bikes after seeing the chairs. There were fresh towels every day. So would I stay here again? Yeah I would but I do hope things are better.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rbtwo4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Perthshire.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 8 nights in Feb 2014. We loved the place from the moment we arrived. Dean is a very laid back friendly host. His breakfasts were always delivered with lots of good humoured banter. Asking him to put my eggs and potatoes on a warm plate almost brought on a seizure ! It was 50 steps to the Boardwalk and 10 more steps to the magic sandy beach. Lots of interesting fellow guests, some of whom stay for 3 months to avoid the cold weather further north. It reminds me a lot of Tasmanian B and B's thirty years ago . The in- house bikes were great fun and even better when we oiled the chains and pumped air into the tyres. They will be running much easier now ! Not a 4 star hotel but much more informal and much more fun. I would thoroughly recommend Ataraxia to anyone looking to chill out . Very reasonable rates . Thank you Dean, I hope to see you in Scotland soon . Best regards, Peter and Annette .

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PotatoPete
Wilmington, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

Our family of 14 rented all 5 suites. The owners Dean and Lori made us all feel welcome the second our van pulled up. Ages 60 to 2 months. This place offers so much,,, # 1 location,, steps to the broadwalk and ocean. A heated mineral pool right outside your door totally fenced in and private. They supplied all the towels we needed. We used their beach chairs everyday at the beach. We rode their bicycles for miles. There patio alongside the pool had a brand new gas grill and nice teak tables and chairs which we cooked out at many times. Back to location,,, the places to walk were endless. Restaurants, lounges, shopping and outdoor dancing and people watching went on for miles. The rooms were great, my oldest son has 4 kids and he had a 1100 sq. ft apartment with a large living room and gourmet kitchen with two full baths. My wife and I had a room right off the pool, great bed and big bathroom, and all the suites have nice flat screen TV's hooked up to satellite.
But really, Dean and Lori made our vacation, they are like visiting family, they couldn't do enough for us. Whether you go for a couples get away or family reunion you will love it!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank sidneyT1212
Omro, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Great location, close to the beach and broadwalk. (that's what they call it). Hosts are super people. Hard to determine which light switches control which lights and the microwave turntable didn't work nor the ice making machine.The place needs a little tender loving care but overall a very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here recently with my husband for 5 nights recently while arranging/attending my mother's funeral. The house is fabulous, and Lori & Dean were very sympathetic & comforting. Playing catch in the pool with Otis, their dachshund, made me so happy. Our 2nd floor suite had an ocean view & was very comfortable. Breakfasts were ample & delicious. Lori is an accomplished massage therapist. Ataraxia was the perfect spot for us, I hope we have the opportunity to return under happier circumstances.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank enigmajean
Marietta, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2013

Although we had some issues with the check in date they were great! It is such a relaxed atmosphere and Dean really made up for the confusion. They offer great amenities in the rooms and they seem to take pride in making sure everything is clean and secure. Your stay even comes with some entertainment provided by Dean and Lori's wiener dog who will play ball all day by the pool. You can book spa treatments or relax ocean front as you are walking distance off the beach and broadwalk. We likes it so much we recommended it to friends who also booked and loved it. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

My husband and I spent four days at Ataraxia by the Sea. WE. LOVED. IT. Dean was so kind and was a great host. He had everything one would need to enjoy a beach vacation: beach towels, beach chairs, umbrellas and even offered us sunscreen. We also had use of bicycles during our stay which made getting around easy. The room was vey clean and private. Breakfast was simple but satisfying. Ataraxia is not the Crowne Plaza. It is a small, privately owned bed and breakfast. If you desire something small, quiet and individualized attention, this is the place for you! An added bonus is Otis, the swimming dachshund! We will definitely visit again.

Room Tip: Couples ask for the room near the pool.