“I STILL THINK THIS HOTEL HAS THE BEST LOCATION ON THE BEACH” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save 20% on Weekdays
Ranked #29 of 69 Hotels in Hollywood
Kitty Hawk, North Carolina
“I STILL THINK THIS HOTEL HAS THE BEST LOCATION ON THE BEACH”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

I gave the hotel 1 more star than I did last time because they seem to have finished all the construction. They still have free parking and free internet. The AC unit in our room did not work unless you got on a chair and changed the controls. The AC units are the loudest AC units I have ever heard, probably = cheap.... All in all not a bad hotel but it will never get a 5 rating from me, it just doesn't have what it takes.... I don't think management/owner really takes any pride in the hotel. I have never seen a hotel lock the front door at 800 PM and require you to walk down an alley to the back of the hotel to get inside, usually it's the other way around. There is one little secret if you go in the Yogurt next door and go thru the door to the toilets you will end up in the lobby of the hotel....

Room Tip: The 2 rooms with a balcony are a good choice..... But it is a shared balcony and I do mean shared th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
3 Thank CAPTRON83

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Hungarian first
gogranny60
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I traveled here with my mother in law and we had a wonderful time! My MIL had difficulty walking due to a recent surgery so we had to stay somewhere that had dining options close by. This fit the bill perfectly! I basically wanted to enjoy the beach, people watch and read. We got room 222 on the 2nd floor and they had an elevator which was a neccesity for my MIL. Our spacious ocean view room had 2 queen beds, refrigerator, large closet and newly renovated bathroom. There were always plenty of fluffy towels and great water pressure. My MIL could lounge on her bed watching TV and still see all the happenings on the beach and broad walk while she stayed comfortable in our air conditioned room. Mean while I could sit under one of the hotels free umbrellas, chairs and beach towels taking in the sights and sounds of the surf, beach and broad walk just steps out the hotels front door! I also got a massage at the spa located on the bottom corner of our hotel...Heaven! On the other corner of the hotel building there was a frozen yogurt, smoothie and sandwich stand where I would also sit at while enjoying one of their fresh made fruit smoothies...mmmmmmm! Every morning my MIL and I would walk right next door to the small but great restaurants along the broad walk for breakfast. The last night of our stay we walked down to the band shell that was about 2 blocks away to listen to the free concert and watch the people dance! It was really a great vacation for both of us even though we enjoyed doing different things it was all conveniently close. Highly recommend!

Room Tip: Get an ocean front!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank gogranny60
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I was in need of a weekend getaway and decided to go to Hollywood Fl. After reading reviews I decided to go with this hotel. I'm SO happy I did. This place is amazing. Its not a Vegas hotel but It definitely fits all your needs. The staff was super friendly. The View is amazing( I had a ocean view room) I was able to enjoy the sunrise from bed (room #220)!!! Everything is really close by from souvenir shops to free bands playing at night. The décor of the rooms are really nice! Big flat screen tv, free wifi, free parking. Come on you just cant beat that. I will definitely come back really soon. This will be my go to hotel!!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Jybrow2
Long Island, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We chose Sheldon because of the location. At the moment there are only limited choices (Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville is currently under construction next door and other hotels are nowhere near such an active part of the boardwalk). Yes, the views are breathtaking and the boardwalk is active (if you like bars and endless souvenir shops), but in the end it wasn’t worth the sacrifice. Hollywood Beach is gorgeous, clean, well kept and the alleys that lead to streets all have great sitting areas and brick work.

Sheldon itself needs work and a lot of it. The hotel has recently undergone a makeover, but it appears they chose cheap materials and/or labor. Everything about the Sheldon seemed like a wannabe and very cheap. The floor leading to the rooms was a wood grain laminate that felt like it wasn’t sticking quite right. The room itself was dark, as there were only 3 lights and not one overhead. The lights in the room ran on very dim energy efficient bulbs. There was a crack under the door that let in too much light when the lights were off in the middle of the night. No carpeting in the room (which I can understand because it’s the beach, but not even an area rug?). The bed sagged and was bumpy in the middle. The tv was small and because of no carpeting, it was difficult to turn it up without disturbing other guests. Of course the tv had to be loud in order to be heard over the noisiest air conditioner ever! The shower was nice, but paint was peeling everywhere, no counter room and when we took a hot shower, we set off the smoke detector. It might be charming, but I felt uncomfortable with the exposed ceiling beams. They tried to cover them up with stucco, but in my opinion it was very tacky and not the “homey” feel one likes in a hotel.

The lobby was nicely decorated, but empty and “cold” (not temperature). The person on duty never lifted their heads to say hello or even acknowledge that we were walking in or leaving, unless they were spoken to first. There was a door leading to the beach, but it closes at 7 pm so if you wanted to do the boardwalk in the evening, you would have to walk to the front of the hotel that was down a dark, empty alley.

If you're looking for amenities, pool, laundry, fitness center, business center, breakfast, forget it - it doesn't exist.

The good points? Well, there was free parking, but it was a parking lot around the corner with an apartment building in between. Nothing happened to our car during our stay, which was surprising because of the lack of security. The internet was the fastest around and that was helpful, but, we had to log back in every few minutes, very annoying.

All in all, I will not recommend staying here and I will not be back. They bill it as a "resort" but in honesty it's just a budget hotel with a great location.

Room Tip: Ask for an Ocean View - but be prepared for higher price. the Ocean View room on the 3rd floor has...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NorJon713
Holiday, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stayed this past weekend at the Sheldon Hotel (I know it says Hotel Sheldon, but the bill said Sheldon Hotel). The location is great and the outside looks nice with new windows and paint, but that's where it ends. They must be done with the renovation because their construction dumpster was removed from the parking lot while we were there. I would hope they bring it back because there is a lot yet to be done.
The main entrance is on Surf Drive, which is a one way alley that runs behind some of the hotels. We pulled the car over to unload and went in to check in. We were given room 229, a king bedroom. The smell of this room was awful. It was worse than cheap paint. My husband went down to the lobby and asked for the manager. She came up to us and said that it was from the paint in the bathroom from 2 weeks ago. What the heck paint smells for 2 weeks? She said they had no other rooms available and had an attitude like tough luck on us. I knew from trying to book a room that other hotels were booked up, so since we had no place to go, we stayed. She said she would get us a "cone" to help with the smell and then went into the housekeeping closed and got us a Renuzit air freshener! Really?!? We put the a/c on high and tried to put the air freshener in front of it. Opening the windows didn't work either, as they only opened at an angle from the top and didn't let in much air.
The intercoastal view is of the alley and the buildings across the street. The room did have a new mattress, new lamps, new 24" flat screen tv, which was too small to see from the bed, and a new frig. That was it. The furniture was old. The table was so old the finish was off of it and it had one chair. We couldn't use the table, as it had the microwave and the ice bucket on it. An old armoire had the tiny tv, the coffeemaker and the frig. The light fixture on the wall had an old ceiling light cover on it. My husband put his hat on top of the armoire and it got filty from the dust up there.
The closet was small, but had a safe. It also reeked of paint, so we didn't put our clothes in it. Also the light was on a pull cord that was a piece of string.
The bathroom remodel consisted of new tile around the tub. The tub had a big piece out of the enamel, the showerhead was a cheap plastic one and it was not caulked into the wall. There was no hair dryer. Even the cheap motel chains give you a hair dryer. For a newly painted bathroom, there was a gash in the wall next to the mirror. Only one small towel rack for all the towels. The best part of the bathroom was that they painted over the only bottle opener screwed into the wall, instead of removing it first! Classy. The smell from the bathroom wasn't the paint, it was the cheap plastic tub mat, like the kind you get from a dollar store.

We spent as little time as possible in the room, as the smell didn't get any better. The staff was nice, but very unprofessional. When I asked about the trolley, they had one brochure for their desk, none for the guests. The housekeeping lady was very nice.

They close the doors facing the beach/broadwalk at 8pm, so you have to walk around the back of the building down the dark side streets into the alley to get something from your room.

On Saturday night, there were guests that came in at 11`pm and came back at 3am and were making a lot of noise in the hallway outside our door for over half an hour each time. I don't mean just normal voices. They were yelling and screaming to each other and banging on the doors. Now I knew that the person at the front desk had to hear it, as the corridors are open to the lobby area. When we checked out the next morning, I asked the girl at the desk who was on at 3am and she said it was her. I asked if she heard the noise and she gave me a blank look. I asked how she couldn't hear them and she said they came back and were very noisy. I asked why she didn't say something to them and she actually told me that if she did, they would just say that they were paying for the room! I told her that we paid for our room, too and she didn't say a word. The other girl standing at the desk said it must be that group that checked in Sat. night, so I guess a group can do whatever they want.
This place is far from remodeled and all the negatives outweigh the great location. Always check the bad reviews first. I will post the pictures I took of the room later.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank armymom123
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Right by the beach, lot of restaurant s around , the room is a bit small but is perfect for couples, rooms have names from movies on Hollywood , that is so cool , elevator is new , lobby are is very nice , parking is very easy, beach is right there, we had a great time !!!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

We stayed for a weekend and enjoyed everything about the place. Right on the beach you couldn't ask for more. An old Hotel, well updated and taken care of with a super friendly staff. This place is on our list to return again for sure.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple