“Long Term Stay at the Crowne”

DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hollywood Beach
Ranked #5 of 72 Hotels in Hollywood
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Recently spent 40 days at this property in Hollywood. The best feature of this place is the fabulous pool area and the no-pressure nice staff around at all times. Daniel or Dan and the rest of the guys in the pool area really make it nice....lots of comfortable lounges, towels, nice Tiki Bar, food service at the pool, nice views...the hotel also has an excellent breakfast buffet and again highlighted by friendly and efficient service. Our room was 912 which has south, east and west exposure and offers great views of the Intracoastal, the opening of the bridge, boat traffic as well as two balconies. The room was bright and spacious but the one down side of this nice corner room was that the pop machine is basically right outside your door and it gets a lot of night-time use and there is no siund proofing of any kind. Also, the cleaning staff seem to congragate in tha area and create noise by loud conversatiion which diminished markedly once we had mentioned the problem to the front desk.

The property itself has a bit of the tired feel to it ( it's an old Holiday Inn site) and needs updating and I would rate it a 3 to 3.5 but the pool area and the staff are at least a 5 and thus my overall rating of four. It is decent value when compared to other hotels in the area and I would stay there again but for a shorter duration.

Room Tip: While corner suites are nice and sunny and have two balconies, be ready to deal with the noise from...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Leon B
mistypfllso, Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hollywood Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Leon B,

While we're sad to see you go, thank you for sharing your experience with us.
We appreciate all of your detailed feedback from staff services to the breakfast buffet. We strive to exceed all of our guests expectations and with feedback like yours, we know where there is room for improvement.
We certainly look forward to seeing you again next year Leon. Thank you!

Reviewed February 28, 2013

We wanted to book a hotel for a 3-night post-cruise stay, and realized that late February would be a very expensive time to be in South Florida. I booked this hotel on Hotwire and got it for a better price than if I'd book directly with the hotel. We found the hotel to be very pleasant, the staff were all pleasant and helpful, and our room was large and bright. The bathroom appeared to be updated in recent years, but the room and bathroom already showed signs of wear and tear; i.e., chipped tiles on the floors, furniture, etc. We had requested a king-sized bed, but at check-in, we were informed they only had 2 doubles available.

We loved the pool area, which is situated directly on the Intercoastal Waterway. We enjoyed the bar/restaurant at the pool, and spent a lot of time just chilling out at the pool. It was a short walk across the street to the beach.

We like the Hollywood Beach location due to its easy proximity to Ft. Lauderdale to the north, and to South Beach to the south.

All in all, we enjoyed this hotel, and we would consider staying there again in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Karen H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate all of your feedback. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the near future!

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Spent three nights in the hotel over the Christmas holidays. Had my wallet and $400 stolen from my room. The hotel has lax security. No cameras on the floors, and one in the lobby that barely covers the front desk. The hotel referred the matter to their Insurance Co, who quickly dismissed it as my responsibility. I was then referred to guest relations who refused to consider my side of the story. "If we consider your story then it would be an admission of guilt", they said. There was never any discussion of trying to make it right or win back my loyalty. Not a free meal, nothing of that matter. It's too bad. I will never be staying there again.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Neil T
mistypfllso, Manager at DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hollywood Beach, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Neil T,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experienced with us.
We did escalate your case to our Guest Relations department and insurance company for review. Unfortunately, if they are unable to verify the information in your case or prove validity with your claims, the case will be closed. Please refer to Guest Relations should you need further assistance.
Thank you for your time.

Management

Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was our first stay at this Hotel. Not to mention the first time in a long time staying in southern Florida. I must say when I book a hotel or resort and have others staying with me there is a bit of pressure on me to make sure we stay at a good spot. Fairly close to the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood airport , about 20/25 drive. They dont have a shuttle.
I had called a couple of weeks prior as I always do to make sure we were on one of the top three floors in the executive levels. And to make sure we had adjoining rooms as well. I had also asked for a free upgrade as I am a Priority Club Platinum member. It always helps to call a week or two in advance to help plan things. even to ask simple things, how far way from the airport, what are some close attractions, If I park is it free or how much. Is there anything ineresting happening in town the week that we are there. Our rooms werent ready, but the woman at the front desk gave me some options and we took the free drinks and sat in the patio for a half hour before our rooms were ready.. No big deal, the rooms were adjoining, we had the top floor and the rooms were spacious and very clean. Both having balconys, overlooking the pool, the waterway and the ocean.
My wife and my step kids (teenagers) love to lounge and be by a pool. And they loved this one. The pool is huge, there are alot of comfortable chairs and great ambience. We are easy going people, when we just came from cold and snow to pool and Palm trees we are good. The hotel was fairly full but there is plenty of room in the pool area, not crowded at all. There is also a great Tiki bar right there with a great assortment of drinks and food. Very convienent with tables to eat at right there. And the staff serving was fantastic. Thanks to Dan to make our stay around the pool extrememly enjoyable.
Now if you like to go to the beach, I'll be honest we werent crazy about the beach across the street. The Hallandale Beach area is about a 2/3 minute walk away , across the street. Its not that great, we went to the Fort. Lauderdale beach strip the one day and that was a lot better.
There is a great water taxi ( you can look it up on line) that stops right at the crown plaza and comes by every hour or so. It takes you along the water way, you watch the big yacht, expensive houses, takes you by the cruise ships. We took it to Fort lauderdale and decided to have lunch there and check out the beach. Which was a greeat idea because they next night they were having a fat tuesday. So there were a lot of activites going on.
The hotel is located right in between Fort. Lauderdale and Miami. There is also a great spot in the lobby to get starbucks coffee and some great breakfast stuff. There is also a 7/11 besided the hotel if you want some other stuff as well. I also used the gym downstairs which had treadmills and weights, not to bad.
We extremely enjoyed this hotel and I would reccommend it. Even though I am an easy going kind of guy , I am a little fussy with hotels as I travel alot and have certain expectations.

Room Tip: get a top floor room, facing the Pool and water way. You also get a parial view of the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Joe Q

Dear Joe Q,

First off, thank you for being a Priority Club member and we’re happy you enjoyed your upgrade. :)
We truly appreciate all of your wonderful feedback on our amenities and staff services. We'll be sure to give Dan the recognition deserved for providing you all with such memorable service.
It sounds like you stayed with us during the perfect time because there was so much going on around Fat Tuesday. The Water Taxi is definitely a favorite. It's great to hear your family enjoyed the tour!
Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of this great information and we're looking forward to welcoming you all back really soon!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

NOTE - this is a review for a stay in December 2010.

My friends and I stayed here with a coupon (Groupon? Lifebooker? I don't remember). It was a good stay for the price we got (about $90 per night, I believe), but the situation I encountered after checkout brought the rating WAY down.

First the Good:
- The hotel was nice and the room was clean.
- The beds were comfy and the sink is outside the bathroom (big plus for me when you are staying with other people).
- The pool is warm and lovely with a bar outside.
- The restaurant staff and valet guys were nice.

The OK:
- The food at the restaurant was ok, but overpriced.
- The front desk staff was ok - not very receptive to friendly banter or slight criticism of the hotel (we complained about housekeeping - see below).

The Bad:
- We checked in on a Friday. On Saturday morning at 8am, housekeeping was knocking on our door to clean the room! My friend got up and told her we were still sleeping and put the "do not disturb" sign out, but we could still hear the housekeeping staff's conversations and music! They were not even trying to be quiet. When we told the front desk that they might want to do housekeeping a little later in the day and the woman working the desk looked at us blankly and then responded like we were crazy for caring.

- We checked out on Sunday morning and headed to the airport. Once there, I realized I had forgotten my phone and camera chargers. I called the hotel and told them exactly where they were in the room and they told me they'd call me back within the hour to let me know if they were still there. I told her that I was getting on a plane and asked (very nicely) for a speedy response. 45 minutes later I'm boarding the plane and call back to see if they had found my chargers. I was told (VERY rudely) that they had not checked yet and it took a long time to get someone to go to the room. She finally sent someone to look, told me they had been found and said they could mail them back to me through FedEx and that it would take 5-7 days. No problem, thank you for your help, here's my credit card and shipping information. To attempt to shorten an already long story:
1) They put the wrong name on the package which almost resulted in my not getting it at all.
2) They sent it NEXT DAY AIR, which cost $50 and I did NOT agree to that. I agreed to ground shipping - hence the 5-7 days waiting time.
3) I called to ask for my money back and the staff at the desk AND the desk MANAGER were extremely rude! I was told that they did not tell me it would take 5-7 days, that they did ME a favor by returning my objects with MY credit card and that they were not responsible. No, I was not allowed to speak with any other supervisor.

Note -

Before this, I was totally thinking about going back to this hotel, but when they told me that keeping $50 was more important than 3 happy customers who would return, more important than good reviews, more important than good customer service, I could not believe it. I will NEVER go back to this hotel or any other Crowne Plaza. Sad, because I've been to the one in Philly and loved it.

I know I'm not a VIP, but everyone deserves respect. I definitely did not get it here.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank magic96

Dear magic96,

Thank you for taking the time to share this review with us.
It's unfortunate to hear of the inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us. Please be assured that these issues will be addressed with our executive management team and necessary action will be taken. If you would like to discuss this further, please contact us directly at Sales@cphollywoodbeach.com.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had a corner room facing the inter-coastal with balconies on each side. There is a cute little drawbridge to the one side, and from a distance we could see the ocean. Highly recommend getting this type of room, it is worth the extra couple bucks. The rooms are well decorated and include all amenities. Location is good too, small beach across the street and the strip is only minutes away by foot or by trolley. Nice pool with Tiki bar. We have stayed at a lot of great places, this is definitely a fave!

Room Tip: Get a corner room facing the inter-coastal!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear AnHnP,

We are so happy to hear that we are one of your favorite hotels!
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We're so happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back you back to Hollywood, real soon!
Thanks again,

Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Crowne Plaza Hotel Hollywood Beach Florida .This hotel is very clean and friendly with a small refridgerator in every room . All room's have a balcony with a view of the beach and the hotel pool there is a starbucks in the looby as well as a great restaurant with a buffett or regular menu. The pool area is beautiful with enough lounge chairs for all guests the staff is excellent on my arrival i asked for an upgrade i was accomadated with a presidential suite at no extra cost my stay was ten day's i would reccomend this hotel for families business and leisure all in all this hotel is best for your money i stay everytime i go to South Florida, On a scale of one to ten with ten being the highest i rate this hotel a ten ........Cutillophila5!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo

Dear Joanne C,

Thank you very much for sharing this great review with us.
We truly appreciate your loyalty to us. Are you a Priority Club Member? If not, please inquire about a membership with our front desk staff on your next stay so you can start earning points with every visit.
We appreciate all of the wonderful feedback and look forward to having you stay with us soon!

Tana F.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Margaritaville Beach Resort
Hollywood Beach Marriott
Hollywood Beach Marriott
#6 of 72 in Hollywood
Seminole Hard Rock Hotel Hollywood
Casa Pellegrino Boutique Hotel
Caribbean Resort by the Ocean
Hampton Inn Hallandale Beach/Aventura

Been to DoubleTree Resort by Hilton Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!