“Great beds, no views, no vending...” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach

Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach
Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Acworth, Georgia
“Great beds, no views, no vending...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

My family and I just returned from a 3 night stay at Crown Plaza. Great rooms, great beds, lots of pillows and a really nice pool. If I could add a couple of things for families, I would start with at least a soda machine. The only place to get a drink is in the lobby store...prepare to pay alot for a 8 oz drink.... We would walk next store to the 7-Eleven and buy a six pack of drinks for the price of two 8 oz drinks there. There are no views of the ocean from any rooms unless you are in the king bed only rooms. Overall, a nice place.

• Liked — The beds were awesome, slept like a baby.
  • Disliked — No vending machines for late night snack needs....
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Turkish first
Brooklyn, NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2008

My wife and I spent a long weekend at the Crowne Plaza, and while it's not a bad hotel, we didn't love it either. First, the good news: our room was clean and nice, with a very comfortable bed, a small deck, and a terrific HDTV.

On the negative side, however, were the following:

1) I'm not sure how Crowne Plaza or Hotwire defines "resort," but this certainly isn't one--it's a hotel with an okay pool. Worse, it really didn't feel like a getaway, since both the pool and our room looked out on highways.

2) My wife's one foray into the hotel's restaurant was a disaster--she got a burger that was burned almost beyond recognition, and was inedible. Unfortunately, there's practically nowhere else to eat within walking distance--there was a 7-11 and a little Cuban conveience store nearby and we had a great couple of meals at the Westin Diplomat just down the street (which looks amazing, by the way), but otherwise, we were told we'd have to walk down the highway a half a mile in one direction or more than a mile in the other to get to anyplace else to eat.

3) The hotel's own website said a cab ride from the Ft. Lauderdale airport would cost $25. Mine cost over $40, with no traffic, not including tip. When I complained to the desk about this, they were nice about it and said they'd change the website right away to reflect a wider, more expensive price range, but they didn't offer anything for our troubles, and the website still hasn't changed as of this writing.

4) Most subjective, but most depressing of all, was the fact that starting around 11:00 AM or noon each day, the hotel blasts music in the pool area, and two of the three days we were there, they played mostly 80's and 90's ballads. My wife and I are big music fans, love 80s stuff, etc., but it's awfully hard to feel like you're on a relaxing getaway when they're blasting stuff like Till Tuesday's "Voices Carry" and the theme from Titanic for hours on end. The third day we were there, they played late-night lounge/house music all afternoon, which was at least unobjectionable.

Again, we didn't hate it as a hotel, but for what they charge (let alone $3 bottles of water in the lobby!), it was a big disappointment. We wouldn't recommend it.

• Liked — Clean, nice room with very comfortable bed, deck, and HDTV
  • Disliked — Not a "resort"; poor restaurant/little other food nearby; depressing music at pool; etc.
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoshDNYC
Algoma, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2008

I traveled to the South Florida area for business from Wisconsin so I wanted to stay along the ocean. This hotel was in a safe, friendly neighborhood which is important since I often travel alone. The service a the hotel was excellent and the entire place was decorated with fresh orchids and contemporary colors.

The room was clean and comfortable with contemporary decor which was very refreshing as I stay in many Crown Plazas throughout the country. There wasn't much of a view of the ocean but I could see it from my balcony.

I ordered room service twice and it was decent, though did not meet the descriptions in the menu...and a little pricy! Be sure to bring any bottled water or other beverages, there are not any vending machines (in service at least) and a bottle of water cost 3.50.

I did get a chance to sit by the pool one afternoon and it was very relaxing. It was a pretty big area with many lounge chairs and had a small tiki bar.

Overall, I would definatly stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

Generally a postive experience. As others have noted, the facilities are recently remodeled and everything appeared to be in excellent condition. The rooms are modern but comfortable, with high quality bed linens, flat screen HD TV, CD radio with mp3 connections, fridge, microwave, coffee maker and wet bar. The only design element of the room I did not care for is the wash basin/vanity is part of the main room, seperated by a sheer curtain which really offers no privacy if you're sharing the room. The shower and toilet are segrated in a seperate water closet type space. The other minor criticism is that the seating arrangements were a bit awkward for more than one person. Only a desk chair and chaise lounge (and the bed of course). That aside, the room was spotlessly clean, and indeed very quiet. We heard very little outside noise, and only the occasional voice from the hall as people were passing. Our view was southern facing, across the parking lot and a bit of the intercoastal waterway, which is very pleasant to look at. The service was merely adequate. I got some "attitude" from the valet when I informed him I wanted to self park. He had me pull over to the side, and proceeded to help the cars behind me that did want to valet. After about 15 minutes, I finally just left the car there and went to check in. Check in was quick and efficient, although when I got to my room it was located directly across from the elevator. Fearing noise, I phoned the desk requesting another room, which was done cheerfully. Service in the restaurant at breakfast was friendly, but slow. They seemed to be understaffed for the number of guests. Same held true at the pool bar/restaurant. Very friendly, but short staffed. It took over an hour for lunch to arrive, and had to go the bar myself for drinks. By mid -afternoon, lots of used towels had been left uncollected on the lounges and pool deck, while the attendants stood around and joked with each other. However, they all did respond to the best of their ability if asked to something. The pool area is very nice, and the beach is a 5 minute walk across the street. The hotel does offer padded chaise lounges and umbrella's and towels on the beach for $10/hour or $30 for day. For the money, it was a good value but the service is defintely not 4 star quality.

• Liked — Facilities (room, pool)
  • Disliked — Friendly, but ultimately inadequate service
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank dan339g
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Margaritaville Beach Resort
Marenas Beach Resort
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,418 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!