“Excellent Hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Southampton
“Excellent Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

Stayed at Crown Plaza Hollywood Beach for Three Nights before a cruise from Fort Lauderdale.
We are Gold Priority Club members and were upgraded to a large corner room with a great view overlooking the waterway on the poolside of the hotel.
The staff on reception were very friendly and professional and our room was extremely comfortable with a large king size bed. Being a corner room it had two large balconies with a table and chairs outside.
The restaurant in the hotel was expensive and when we were there the place was almost empty most evenings not surprisingly at their highly priced menu although I must say they did an excellent steak. It would be far more popular if they changed to a more reasonably priced menu.
Enjoyed our stay and would stay there again if we are in that area .

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
mistypfllso, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear Lesington,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Gold Member and for choosing to stay with us before your recent cruise out of Port Everglades. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope that you will share your positive comments with anyone looking to come to the South Florida area.

Thanks and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Misty P.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Turkish first
Harrison Township, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

I brought my two teenage children to the Crowne Plaza to celebrate their 13th and 17th birthdays. We stayed for four days and had such a great time. The rooms are huge and the beds are very comfy. I've read some negative reviews about housekeeping and unfriendly staff but the staff was great and very helpful and our room was cleaned every day. The pool is amazing, I love the island music that played while we were swimming. We didn't eat at the hotel restaurant ( the kids didn't like the menu) but right across the street is the Beachside Cafe, it's behind the fire station. It's an outdoor patio cafe with with a good breakfast for about $5 and for lunch the burgers are very good. We didn't rent a car, we used the trolley to get to the Broadwalk and to get downtown, the trolley picks you up right in front of the hotel and it's only a $1 per person. The only bad thing I can say about The Crowne Plaza is that I wished we were on a higher floor with a better view, but the person who checked us in was very nice and offered a higher floor if we wanted to wait an hour but were tired and didn't want to wait, but I appreciated the offer. Upon check in we were able to watch a taping of a commercial, which the kids enjoyed. All in all, we are planning to come back next Spring to get away from the cold Michigan weather and hopefully we can get a higher floor. Thanks Marty for arranging shuttle service to the airport! We look forward to coming back and staying at this hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear Karma313,

...and we can't wait to welcome you back!!! And I'm so glad to hear that you got to see our hotel being "featured" in an upcoming Crowne Plaza commercial- you should be able to see it on the Golf Channel in May!

Thank you for sharing such wonderful remarks about our hotel and staff- these are the things that we LOVE to hear and are glad we could provide a nice vacation for your family from the cold of Michigan in March.

Enjoy the nice summer months up north and we look forward to seeing you again next year!

Madison, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

We booked this hotel online with hotwire, and what we got was not a four star as advertised. There was a refrigerator in the room, which constantly buzzed, therefore making it hard to sleep, and the sink was right in the room. And the hotel staff seemed to be all new, which is never a good indication for me as to the treatment of the staff. No wi-fi service in the rooms, and we had to leave after one night.

Thank goodness for the beach, which is across the highway but very nice. The area is mostly condos, and so it's at least quiet, and with parking at $18 a day even at this hotel, there are not many vagrants in the beach area.

I would not stay here again, even though their prices are very low for this area.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
mistypfllso, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear PeanutInSeattle,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us and I'm sorry to hear that it was less than satisfactory. We strive to provide only the best in accommodations and services to our guests. In regards to the refrigerator, I hope that the noise of the unit was reported so that we could fix the problem to ensure a quiet room for you to sleep. I am also happy to report that we are currently upgrading the entire hotel to wireless internet access and this should be available in all guest rooms by the end of May. Currently, we do offer complimentary wired internet access in our sleeping rooms.

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2011

I had read many reviews--- good and bad, so I was a bit hesitant to stay here. The rates are better than most other hotels in the area, so I figured I'd give it a try, but now I know why the rates are low. The hotel is not in the best condition, and there were bugs everywhere. I don't recommend this hotel for vacation, but if you are looking for a cheaper hotel near the beach, then this fits the bill. Just that they advertise as a four star, and it certainly is not.

Rooms were old, the pool area crowded, and the beach is across a busy intersection, so not safe for children. And there is no wireless access in the rooms, so it was difficult to use my laptop.

I do feel that for the price for this location, it is okay. But I would have preferred that they didn't exaggerate their star rating, as it should be a two and a half or three star. It is a no frills hotel, and I would have gladly paid more to stay nicer.

This is not a resort, though on some websites they advertise as one.

The fitness center was adequate, but some of the equipment was out of order. And not cleaned nor maintained very well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stephie2009LA
Dear Stephie2009LA,

I was very disappointed to read that you were unhappy with your recent stay with us but do appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us, as this is the best way for us to improve upon our services.
Our hotel was completely renovated, from top to bottom, and opened in October 2007, making us a little over three years old. Our star rating does reflect the level of services and amenities that we offer and has been evaluated by all applicable rating entities. At the time of your stay, we did not offer wireless access in the guestrooms but all rooms do offer complimentary wired high speed internet access. We are currently working to install the wireless access throughout the entire hotel (currently it is just in the public areas) and hope to have that project completed soon.
The hotel is located across the street from the beach but there is a crosswalk directly in front of the hotel which provides for safe and frequent opportunities to cross the street. Our pool area is typically the busiest part of the hotel, particularly during the winter months, but all areas are safe for children.
Again, I am sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet your expectations but do hope that you will consider staying with us again to experience what so many others on TripAdvisor have raved about.

Spring Valley, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

We booked this hotel thru hotwire and after that we read some poor reviews. We were surprised to find this hotel to be much better than those reveiws painted it to be. The room was big and spacious. The staff very helpful and friendly and the pool was magnificent. It is across the street from the beach, we are not big beach goers so it did not make a difference. This is not a luxury resort like the diplomat, but it is very nice and a great value.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Dear rossch,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your recent experience with others on TripAdvisor and I'm glad to hear that we exceeded your expectations (which is always our goal!). Hopefully you will choose to stay with us again on your next trip to South Florida- we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2011

My husband and two children (ages 3 and 6) stayed here for a week. The pool, which is perfect for children, has a shallow end where even toddlers can play, but also deeper areas for older children. It is designed well, with everyone in mind! The food is not great and is quite expensive. (See restaurant.com for coupons for the tiki bar and elements bistro.) The kitchenette in the hotel room supplied adequate space for our own drinks and food!

The beach is just across the street, easy enough to get to, even with little ones.

The staff is friendly and always ready to help.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Dear GetOuttaMN,

Thank you for your great comments about your recent stay with us and I'm glad to hear that you and your family enjoyed the pool so much. We hope that the next time you want to "GetOuttaMN" that you come and see us again!

hampton
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2011

My husband and I had a trip booked to the Crown Plaza Hollywood Beach Hotel in Feb 2011 and we were VERY excited as the hotel looked like it had a great location, amenities, and everything we were looking for to take a trip together (haven't been able to vacation together alone in over 6 years so we were very excited to say the least!).

Unfortunately, three days before we were suppose to leave for the trip my grandmother passed away un-expectedly. I unfortunately had to cancel our trip (which was pre-paid through Travelocity).

The hotel refused to give us a refund which is outrageous! We sent them a copy of the death certificate (once received) and gave them 72 hour notice that we wouldn't be able to make our stay. They didn't even offer us a credit voucher, they just took our money and then got to re-sell our room to someone else and make double.

The manager personally declined our request for a refund, I could understand if we did not have a death certificate or if it was not someone in my immediate family. But in this day and age stuff happens un-expectedly and I’m sure people lie about stuff to get refunds but we had 72 hour notice and proof of relationship. Now we’ve had to cancel our trip and can’t re-schedule it because we’ve lost all of our money on this trip.

I could only imagine what other money scheming tricks and un-fair policies they put upon their guest.

I'm very disappointed at how un-fair they treated us as guest as I was looking forward to staying at the Crown Plaza and now will never stay at a Crown Plaza hotel again. I tried to find a cancellation policy on their website but could not find anything. We booked the reservation through Yahoo Travel (Travelocity) who is not responsible for the refund and they did everything they could to help us. But nowhere when I booked the travel arrangements did I see anywhere that there was such an unfair policy. Who would buy something if you couldn’t return or exchange it? That’s just unheard of.

I travel a lot for work and leisure and I have never had issues when cancelling or making changes WITH NOTICE to my reservations, this is just so odd to me.

Anyhow, please beware of the unfair, unlisted polices before booking your trip. Would hate to see someone else in a similar situation that was unable to get a refund or a credit.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank janiney116
Dear janiney116,

In reviewing your reservation history with our Revenue Manager, we confirmed that it was, as stated, booked through Travelocity as a pre-paid, non- refundable reservation. But as we pride ourselves on customer service, we do understand that unforeseen circumstances can and do arise with our guests and we do everthing that we can to accommodate these situations. In this situation however, we did not receive a copy of the death certificate and therefore were unable to make a change to the reservation or provide a refund. If you can provide the necessary information, I will be more than happy to take a look at this and try to remedy the situation.

Misty Polihronakis
Director of Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollywood
Margaritaville Beach Resort
Marenas Beach Resort
Marenas Beach Resort
#2 of 9 in Sunny Isles Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,417 reviews

Been to Crowne Plaza Hollywood Beach? Share your experiences!