“Fabulous place to stay!”
Review of Manta Ray Inn

and 1 more site!
Manta Ray Inn
Ranked #3 of 66 Hotels in Hollywood
Vancouver Island, Canada
“Fabulous place to stay!”
Reviewed November 30, 2013

What a great place to stay in Hollywood Beach.
Wonderful management and a roomy one bedroom right on the beach can't get better than that.
We were able to stay in our room until our late flight out.... thank you.
Nice and quiet at night. Every thing you need to cook etc.
Our cab was arranged for us.
Free WiFi.
We loved this hotel and would come back again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank yann
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
It was such a pleasure to have the two of you stay with us and that your really enjoyed the family, laid back atmosphere of the Manta Ray Inn! We definitely do our best to make sure that each and every guest leaves with a warm and friendly feeling about the Manta Ray Inn. I know you said you will be back and we cannot wait for that to happen so we can really spend some time and get to now the two of you and make you part of our family!! See you soon and happy holidays!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Upon my second visit here I had a BAD gut feeling. One of the reviewers earlier hit the nail on the head, and I thought he was crazy after my previous review and visit. I tend to agree now after a second visit and in low season at that.

I waited around for about ten minutes upon check in before anyone helped me. Their maintenance person assuring me that someone would come and help me and assured me that he locks the door and no one would have access to my bags, wrong, I left to go and look for someone, and they were in fact left unattended. It appears this person lives in the space immediately behind the so called (catch all) front desk.There is a general unfriendliness here which leads me to believe they are just waiting for a developer to come in and take them out of their MISERY. I was not in any way greeted as a returning guest who gave a glowing review.

No one was around most of the time I was there. Which is ok because I am a very independent traveler and know my way around Hollywood, but for someone else I am sure this is a problem .

Upon Check out a very weird thing happened. It appears the front desk is used for everything but Customer Service, and they appear not to be able to keep help that is not family. There was someone, I am sure a friend of the owner's sitting there sewing the ratty bedspreads into pillows(cheap)telling me how short staffed the Inn is and how all the GUYS were at Nascar. I would not think this is a problem except for the fact that it was not her place to tell me the owner's business. I was sitting there struggling and it was TMI and unprofessional. I was struggling to print a boarding pass because she told me "OH they don't do that but you can use the computer" I don't consider myself computer illiterate but they had a weird Safari setup on their computer so once I got into it I was having a problem printing and then I wanted to also erase any trace of my information and could not. This women quilting in the office storms out to the Owner who is micro managing the cleaning people, who don't by the way speak English(and she is rude enough to mention that) We are in South Fla and you have been here how long, 20 years, learn some Spanish., She told me earlier her usual person had a wedding, doubtful since on their website/Facebook they are advertising for someone, which in and of itself is unprofessional and not re assuring for guests and to be overwhelmed by 11 rooms? I have been at other small lodging in other beach places, family owned that handle this flawlessly with no notice to customers.. Anyway, The owner storms in with an attitude and prints for me and then offers to call a cab for me the next day for my travel to the airport. At this point since she seems soo utterly stressed out and does not ask me for my cell number or anything, and because I have an early flight I call the cab company myself to find out she has not made the reservation by 3Pm that day. I was nice enough to call her from where I was for the day to tell her not to bother that I did it and she lies and tells me she will be in the office until 6 , this may have been true but their posted hours are until earlier, how was I to know. No customer service, no caring, no nothing. Only one room is worth the price they charge and it is creepy to think this woman would let a single woman traveling alone be stranded or raped because she gave out a room number to a cab driver without my knowledge which is what she told me when we went back and forth after my stay. I just have such a SICK feeling. If this is the number one place in Hollywood Beach, that is very sad. I tend to think the reviews are from friends and I know she is a chamber and SSL member, so It is all skewed. I feel like I now need a vacation from this vacation and am planning something soon.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank MABB26
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, December 1, 2013
We really thank you for your comments and sorry that someone being in the office from 9:30 am to sometimes after 6 pm while you were with it did not seem to complete your needs. Our night time security guard was definitely aware of you being there and did exchange discussion with you on several occasions. Not sure who you refer to as a maintenance man as we do not have one so I have to guess that you were thinking about Gerry our housekeeper that has been with us for now almost 11 years and he does not, and has not ever lived on the premises. Gerry has been such a part of our Manta Ray Inn Family and even though he now is aging he definitely is still part of our Manta Ray Inn staff and we think of him as family! It saddens me to think that you did not enjoy your second stay with us at the Manta Ray Inn even though you were in an ocean front one bedroom apartment that had just had an upgraded bathroom at a cost of $10,000.00. That would tell you that we are committed to the property and to our guests who are part of our Manta Ray Inn family. We definitely try to give every customer the personal attention that they need and to supply everything that they need to have a relaxed getaway. Our efforts with you
failed and we will try with other customers to make the corrections to have the "exceed their expectations". It seems strange to see the now left in your room about how much you enjoyed your stay and the upgrades to the bathroom!! I am sure that you will enjoy your next visit at another Superior Small Lodging property!!
Westminster, Colorado
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We just had our first stay here and it will not be our last. Unfortunately, it was a quick trip and we were only there for two nights. It is definitely a place where you could stay comfortably for a much longer period of time. We didn't use the kitchen, but I'm inherently nosy and peeked in all the cabinets and drawers to find it beautifully stocked. You could definitely use it for just about anything if you got tired of going out to eat. There is also a full sized fridge/freezer and we saw two grills on the property.

We had a 1 BR apartment (two of us, couple) and the size was just right. The living area was a very decent size with the seating, tv, kitchen and dining table and we never felt on top of each other or crowded. The bedroom was also a good size and the bed was very comfortable. The shower was GREAT. I loved that each room had a ceiling fan, made keeping it cool a lot easier than just depending on an A/C unit. It was also extremely clean, which is always a plus!

I think this would be a great place to have a group trip.

The location is absolutely fantastic. You are right on the beach and it is a beautiful one. There is also a lifeguard stand right there. It is a short walk to the boardwalk, which was really nice. It was great being so close but also not being on the boardwalk itself, it was nice to be able to 'go home' and get away from the crowd and noise. You can either walk on the sidewalks and boardwalk itself, or the beach.

We will definitely be back and for a longer stay; this inn is a great find and we intend to take full advantage of it just as soon as we can.

Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
We are so happy that your experience at the Manta Ray Inn was pleasant and totally agree that the area is great!!! The broadwalk is a wonderful place and you are right that this is a perfect place to have a group get-together!!! We actually strive to make each experience at the Inn be wonderful and we do strive for excellence. Cannot wait two see you again and please stay in touch as you are now part of the Manta Ray family!!!!! See you soon.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We arrived late at Hollywood (coming from Miami Beach) and having passed all the ugly skyscraper hotels of Miami Beach, the Manta Ray Inn was like a refuge. Despite the late hour, Donna, the Inn-Keeper, drove to the Inn to welcome us, and gave us a bottle of red wine a welcome present. Our room, which was perfectly clean, was basically a full-featured apartment directly facing the beach. Using one of the two gas grills on the "front porch" of the Manta Ray Inn we even had a nice BBQ one night looking at the stars and hearing the sound of the waves in the background. On our day of departure, Donna was very helpful and let us use the office's shower even after we have checked out, which enabled us to enjoy one more day at the beach without any hazzle, since our plane departed am 7pm.

All in all I can only say that being situated right at the beach of Hollywood but a little bit (walking distance) off the Hollywood Broadwalk makes the Manta Ray Inn the perfect place for a laid-back beach vacation in a friendly atmosphere.

3 Thank thomas_m_galla
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
It was such a pleasure to meet two weary travelers and be able to accommodate them after a very long trip and disappointed that the national park was shut down. Their loss was our gain and I am so happy to have met the two of you and cannot wait for you to come back and stay with us again. Please always keep in touch as you are now part of our Manta Ray Inn family!!! Yes, directly on the beach is just the ticket for relaxation!
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We loved everything about this inn on the beach! The property is very well-maintained and clean. During our 2-week tour of Florida, we began our stay at the Manta Ray Inn for 4 nights and returned for 1 night at the end of our stay to catch our flight the next day.

LOCATION: We loved the location! The inn is directly located on a beautiful stretch of beach and offers free and assigned parking whereby night security is available. It is located a few minutes walking distance south of the Hollywood Beach Broadwalk… just close enough to walk to, yet far enough to enjoy peace and tranquility. Major grocery stores are a few blocks south from the inn on Hallandale Blvd. (Super Wal Mart, Publix and Winn Dixie). A swimming pool is available at your perusal across the street.

ROOMS: During the first part of our stay we had Room 206, which in my opinion is the best room as it has the best ocean views! The living room is comfortable with a couch, loveseat, chair, coffee table, etc. The flat screen TV has many cable channels. If interested in watching Quebecois TV channels, TVA and Radio-Canada from Montreal are available. The dining room and kitchen pretty much have everything you would need to prepare a nice meal in your room (full-sized fridge, gas range, toaster, coffee maker, dishes, glassware, pots & pans, place mats, teapot, dish soap and towels, etc.); and 2 Weber barbecues are available for all guests to use! In my opinion, the bathroom in Room 206 lacked some shelf space. However, when we returned to the inn at the end of our vacation, we had Room 202 which had a beautifully renovated bathroom with plenty of shelves. We were informed that all of the rooms’ bathrooms were in the process of receiving this same reno. The bedroom with its bedding and pillows was comfortable, well-appointed and contained sufficient storage space. The bedroom also has a flat screen TV and a clock radio. There is a closet in the hallway that contains a digital safe, ironing board and iron.

BEACH: The inn is located along a very beautiful stretch. The beach area was very clean and quiet during our stay. Lifeguard services are available from the City of Hollywood Beach and there is a lifeguard post situated quite near the inn. One early morning while watching the sunrise, we caught a glimpse of a dolphin from our balcony!

SERVICES: Beach chairs, beach towels, parasol are available from the inn and at no charge. After 4 PM, guests can use the onsite washer/dryer and pay for the usage using an honor system. At the reception desk, there is a basket of condiments for the guests to share/borrow, i.e.: balsamic vinegar, BBQ sauce, spices, etc. There are also books and movies available to borrow. This inn is family operated and the staff is very nice, welcoming and they aim to ensure that their guests enjoy their stay.

Although our stay was short, we had a lovely experience at the Manta Ray Inn. We would love to return one day and we would not hesitate to recommend this place to anyone visiting southeast Florida.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Montrealer061
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Wow, thank you so much for the feedback on our Inn. The Manta Ray Inn team definitely try to make each guest feel at home and it would seem that we achieved this even though you were only with us a few days. Next time I am sure that you will decide to stay a bit longer so that you can really rest and relax!! We now consider you on of our Manta Ray Inn family and we are all blushing with the really nice comments that you shared about our Inn. The stay and I are waiting for you to return and so we do hope that it is soon!!! Please stay in touch!.
Riverside, California
Reviewed October 15, 2013

You couldn't ask for a more fabulous place to unwind from the daily grind. The Manta Ray Inn harks back for us to beach vacations we used to take when we were kids, a low-rise (two story) 50s style apartment type motel right on the sand, but with added benefit of all the modern conveniences we've come to expect these days and none of the frenetic pace of a big resort. Truly a small piece of paradise in an otherwise hectic world It is perfect for a long stay, a week to a month. The Inn has 12 rooms, most one-bedroom apts with some two-bedroom units. All units have plenty of space, have been modernized with fully equipped kitchens, remodeled bathrooms, and an air-conditioned bedroom, so they make your stay quite convenient while also very relaxing. Cable TV and free Wi-Fi are included. This Inn is right on the sand, there is nothing between you and the water save for a wide, clean beautiful beach. It is in the form of an L, with a large grassy area with umbrellas and tables, chaise lounges, gas barbeques and more open to the ocean. There are beach toys for kids (and kid-like adults). Parking is immediately adjacent to the Inn and included in the rates. One of the best parts of this Inn is that it is located just south of the famous Hollywood Boardwalk (a few very short blocks) thus it is very quiet while still being close to the action if that is what you want. We travel extensively, frequently to beautiful beach resorts around the world, but for us the Manta Ray Inn is certainly one of our favorites. It truly does bring back the joys of our childhoods growing up in the 50s. We recommend this Inn highly and will definitely come back for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Some rooms face directly to the ocean, others face down the beach but still with good views of the o...
1 Thank TangoTim
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us at the Manta Ray Inn!! We cannot wait for you to return again and stay with us a little longer so you can really get the rest and relaxation that you deserve. Being slightly away from the Broadwalk but being within walking distance does make all the difference. You do have the best of both worlds. The staff were thrilled to ready your review and so please be sure to consider us for your next little getaway and we definitely hope to see you soon!!
Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Stayed at the Manta Ray based on its first place ranking on this site. It is hard to criticize such a nice peaceful place.

The pros to staying here are
Extremely clean
On the beach with wonderful view.
Parking and internet are included in rate.

Cons:
10 minute walk to boardwalk
No central air. Unit in bedroom only.
No food, restaurants, vending or shop close by
No refunds on deposits.
Short office hours.

We never really got to know anyone there, but I am sure they were nice. This is a great place for couples that want to buy their own food and beverages and hang out at the beach for days with no commotion of staying in a larger hotel.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms provide a nice view of the ocean.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Travelswithfamily
Donna B, Owner at Manta Ray Inn, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
I am very glad that you enjoyed the relaxation and peace and quiet of the Manta Ray Inn. Yes, it is great to grill out and enjoy a glass of wine watching the sunset. We are definitely old Florida at its best. Our office is open every day and we have a night time security guard to make sure that all of our customer needs are met. I do hope that you will return again and perhaps stay a little longer so you too may make some lasting friendships with other Manta Ray Inn family members!! A/C is on the list of upgrades to be accomplished!