“"The Best German Food in Tampa"”

The German Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 39 Restaurants in Holiday
Cuisines: German
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 18, 2014

As a new resident of Tampa and a former soldier who loved being stationed in Germany, I sought out a German restaurant with authentic German food. After my wife and I visited a few restaurants we had discovered in advertisements -- and been disappointed by each -- we consulted an old friend of German descent who lives in the area. She told us "the best German food in Tampa" is at The German Restaurant. She was absolutely correct. We have eaten there many times and taken visiting family and friends from up north every chance we get. We have never been disappointed. The restaurant is family owned and operated and you will feel like part of the family the moment you walk in the door. The food is universally good and authentic. The pork schnitzel is the specialty of the house and my favorite dish. It comes with a side of German potato salad that is the best this side of the Atlantic. And, as someone else has said, "the German beer was cold and delicious". The portions are huge and boxes to go are common. If you can, try the desserts -- they bring back memories of the old country. Finally, the prices are very reasonable. Give it a try.

Reviewed June 26, 2014

My wife and I went with 2 friends to The German Restaurant a couple of days ago and ordered several of the earlybird special dinners. The waitress was very sweet and efficient and the German beer was cold and delicious. Two of us started with the soup of the day which was just delicious while the others had a house salad.

Sadly, the main courses did not live up to expectations. The meat was very thinly sliced and drowned in gravy. Even the purple cabbage was soft and not very flavorful. This was very disappointing, since we have all been to Germany many times and truly love the cuisine.

It is a lovely little restaurant and we may give it another try, but that seems unlikely.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

We ate here out last night. We had a choice of a couple places and decided this one would be the most "different". We chose correctly!
We were greeting promptly and warmly. Very attentive waitstaff. Free bread and butter while you wait.
Everything was tasty and fresh!. My husband couldn't even finish his meal it was so big!
I did see someone mention the salt and pepper shakers......different set for every table....most were very cute.
We will be back!

Reviewed June 21, 2014

Stop in for dinner on a recent trip to the Tampa area. This is a real treat for lovers of german cuisine. As it was Father's Day, reservations were a must. Arrived a little early for our 6:45pm time and were seated promptly. Wait staff were friendly and attentive. Food was fantastic. Our fare of a party of five included an order of pretzel (just one but was hot, fresh and came with sweet mustard for dipping); multiple schnitzels (one pork and a couple of chicken; either was very good, hammered thin (though could have been a little thinner, but crisp on the outside and moist on the inside as it should be). The sides included red cabbage (excellent), potatoes (also very good), spaetzle (wonderful) and potato salad (cold, not hot); I had the wurst sampler which include a farmer sausage, weiss wurst, a knockwurst and one nurenburger with a double side of sauerkraut. Some of the best wurst I've had in a long time stateside (and I make it a point to try any german restaurant in cities I visit). Only one minor disappointment - I like my weisswurst boiled, not grilled. While not on the menu, they did come through with spezis for our drinks (extra points for that). While the restaurant closes at 9pm there was no rush to usher us out (we were enjoying the conversation and lost track of time until we looked up and all the other tables were empty).

Overall this is a great place to enjoy authentic german cuisine. Our only regret - we don't live close enough to make this a regular stop.

1  Thank chatdad
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

Wonderful friendly staff, amazing food, loved the nice touches like the variety of adorable salt & pepper shakers, to the photos, steins and live music. Our first time here, we will be back. Make reservations, we almost did not get in because of the popularity, quality and live music ~ don't miss this little gem!