“Great stop in route to keys”

Jonathan Dickinson State Park
Ranked #2 of 10 things to do in Hobe Sound
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

While heading to the Keys on vacation, we decided to stay here overnight in one of the cabins to break up the trip into 2 legs. The park was very clean but the cabin had no hot water. Since we stayed in July, that wasn't too much of a problem but it keeps me from rating this as a 5. I noticed too that the RV camping area really needs some attention ie. mowing and landscaping. Overall a descent stay over for the price

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"old florida"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We spent a few hours at this park while vacationing in Florida. We didn't go camping. It's a very nice park with friendly and knowledgeable staff. We were there midweek in the summer. The guided river boat tour was really nice. We saw several manatee, alligators of all sizes, turtles, and of course birds. It was really nice to see these animals in their natural habitat and not a zoo or animal park. The river is considered a protected area and it's possible that it will eventually be impossible to navigate by boat, so go see it while you can.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The front camp sites are clean and well maintained. Not much privacy in between but the sites are plenty big enough where your not on top of your neighbor. Restrooms were clean and would recommend staying in the front of the park if you have a camper. The sites by the river have privacy but no hook up for sewage. The park is located to some great beaches for kids, jupiter inlet and bathtub beach. We'll be back.

2  Thank Brian R
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My wife and I took the Loxahatchee Queen boat tour in June. What an incredible piece of old Florida. While the river wildlife wasn't at its highest, we did see alligators, a manatee, turtles, osprey, and a few wading birds. The boat captain's narrative can be a little corny, but not to the point where you want to "abandon ship." On our trip, we landed upstream at Trapper Nelson's camp and were met by a state park ranger; he gave us a tour of the camp, explaining the incredible history of Trapper Nelson.

1  Thank HeadofSpreesUS
See more reviews
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed in the Pine Grove Campground in our RV. I did not find it noisy, and we were near the hwy. It is an not attractive campground. The grounds are not manicured. You must drive to the river, this campground is about 4 miles to the river. A bit inconvenient for an RVer. One of the ladies in the Ranger Station was very rude, not at all pleasant to talk to or to ask about the park. The website notes the "several" fresh water ponds for fishing, well, don't ask the rude lady in the Ranger station, she know nothing about the ponds. The information she gave us was totally and I do mean totally incorrect. And, there is virtually no fishing these ponds. They have let the "trails" to the ponds grow over...there is no access. If you are willing to chance the gators and snakes you could make a trail, but I would not recommend it. So, they should really change the advertisement for the ponds or do some much needed manicuring. The swimming area has float markers....no other barriers to keep anything out. I am from Louisiana and would never swim where they warn you not to feed the alligators. We rented a kayak...very expensive. The small motor boats (I mean small) are $50 2hr min and $25 per hr after that....too expensive for me. We visit many campgrounds, and this is probably my least favorite. We will not return.

2  Thank grayceey