“Not bad. But not great either.”
Review of The Catfish House

The Catfish House
Ranked #4 of 30 Restaurants in Hobe Sound
Cuisines: Seafood
Reviewed December 28, 2013

Family was looking for some great fish while in West Palm Beach. Checked out all the reviews we could find and The Catfish House kept coming up. So, off we went on a half-hour drive.

Rustic decor a la '70s certainly fit the bill, but with window air-conditioners and an old TV blasting it was hard to get comfy on those tired kitchen chairs. We wanted a crab-shack type of experience so on to the menu.

Based on the location and furnishings, it was pricey at around $13 for fried catfish and $20 for seared tuna. The fried green tomatoes were good, but at $8 I would rather have passed. The catfish came, one order filet and one whole. The filet was bland and the whole fishes were tiny.

Gator was deep fried as well and the fries were previously frozen. Their deep fryer certainly gets a work out.

Nothing that I couldn't have got anywhere else. Kinda sad really.

There are newer reviews for The Catfish House

Reviewed December 15, 2013

This place is very down to earth, a local hole if you will - but there's a nice variety of seafood. A lot of it is fried, but you can get certain items prepared otherwise if you like. The fried green tomatoes are my favorite! Small bar, but friendly service and a good meal always leave us satisfied here.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

We were visiting family in Jensen Beach and it happened to be the Canadian Thanksgiving. My cousin asked what we wanted and we declared catfish. Well he had catfis, gator, and frog legs. These are things we don not see heare on the werst coast of Canada. Let me tell you, we enjoyed every little bit of our dinner. If you are any where near by this area make sure and to stop by. Heck make a special trip from whereever you are it is worth the visit.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Driven by and always saw a crowd. So we decided to have Sunday dinner. Friendly and clean, the quintessential Southern Fish house.
They serve Beer and Wine only as expected.
The menu is mostly fried food. Had the Fried Green Tomatoes and Frog Legs. The Frogs Legs were very good , but there was something missing with the Tomatoes (Remoulade). We heard the Crab cakes were very good, so the wife and I ordered them. One of us should have ordered the Blackened Tuna and the other Crab Cakes. We received two plum cake that were mostly all crab! But.... something was still missing. I figured it out they needed a good sprinkle of Old Bay! and some more Remoulade on the side would have also helped. Kirby's in Juno Beach has these cakes beat hands down! Then there was the Caesar salads again something wasn't right when I tasted something sweet in the dressing.
I know this is popular place, but I don't see me coming back.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We have been going to The Catfish House at least once or twice a month since moving to the Treasure Coast nine years ago. It is about a 12 mile ride from Stuart but well worth the trip.

There is nothing pretensious about The Catfish House but the food is fabulous. We always start with their Cream of Crab Bisque which taste just like on the Chesapeake Bay.

Most of their entrees can be grilled, blackened or fried and come out of the kitchen still sizzling and full of taste. You can also make up combinations of menu items for the ultimate feast.

How many places can you get fried green tomatoes and home made hush puppies? Prices are reasonable and the quanity of food usually means taking home a "doggie bag" that the doggie will never see.

We bring most of our out of town visitors here for a taste of Florida's best seafood

1  Thank IrishRover34996