“Excellent meal and exceptional service”

Great Outdoors Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 31 Restaurants in High Springs
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Welcome to the award winning Great Outdoors Restaurant! We hope you enjoy your dining experience here. Our menu is carefully planned and lovingly prepared. Our Executive Chef is on the premises at all times carefully overseeing every detail of food preparation to personally ensure that everything is prepared fresh in the kitchen. Our steaks are hand cut and our sauces and desserts are homemade. Enjoy our fresh entree salads, homemade soups and a variety of delicious appetizers. We want you to have the perfect guest experience! Our services staff are professionally trained to ensure that every guest has the best dining experience possible.
Reviewed January 9, 2013

My husband and I celebrated our 21st year since our "I do's" last night at the Great Outdoors Restaurant. They had half-priced burgers last night which certainly drew a crowd! I ordered the asparagus chicken dish which was cooked perfectly. The penne pasta was not over cooked, and the asparagus was cooked without losing the texture. The sauce was light and the ingredients were fresh. My husband ordered the Captain's Platter which was equally perfectly done. Scallops are easily mishandled, but these were tender without being overcooked. The wait staff were friendly and although the dining room was very crowded, I did not feel at all neglected by our server. The only drawback may have been the crowd noise from the adjoining tavern, but it was certainly not enough to disrupt a lovely dinner. This was my first trip to this restaurant, but it will not be my last! I can see why they earned their Golden Spoon Award.

Michele C, Public Relations Manager at Great Outdoors Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2013

Congratulations Barbara on 21 years of marriage with your husband! We are honored that you chose the Great Outdoors as your special place to celebrate! Here's to your next 21 years together!!

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We have been tothe Great Outdoors restaurant a few times and some of their dishes are to die for. They also have music if you want to sit outside.

Reviewed December 26, 2012

It had a few years since we had been here, (not the restaurant's fault). The GOR still has that great southern ambiance that we remembered. We were just in for a lite supper, everything was excellent from the great cup of freshly brewed coffee to the Wednesday night "wing special". Looking forward to our return trip - it won't be years this time.

Reviewed December 13, 2012

I have been there twice and both times it was in the winter and we sat outside, ate, drink and listened to music by the fire. It was fun and something different. The staff is very helpful, quick service and attentive. The food. . . ahh okay. . . not horrible but not amazing. Prices are a little high for the medium quality of food. Great atmosphere, great service, okay food.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had passed by this restaurant many times on our way to go tubing on the Itchetucknee, and wanted to give it a try. It is nearly an hour from our home, so it took us a while to decide to visit for a meal. The restaurant looks small from the outside, but is very spacious inside. It is situated on the corner of a quaint small downtown area. The restaurant is a very well decorated one, themed as the name suggests. We had fried green tomatoes as an appetizer. They were good, but only were four on the plate for seven dollars. My wife had a low country boil which included shrimp, sausage, potatoes, corn, crab legs, and mussels. It was boiled in a house made pale ale. There was crusty bread on the side which sopped up the seasoned broth well. I had the southern fried chicken plate. It had one flattened breast of chicken which was fried, smashed red skin potatoes, cole slaw, and cornbread. It didn't seem that cole slaw really belonged with this dish, corn on the cob would have made more sense. The best part of the plate was the cornbread. It was moist and dense with kernels of corn throughout. On any future visit, I would order something else. The evening's special was .49 cent wings, which seemed a little out of place for a more upscale restaurant with a fairly expensive menu. They did have some different desserts beyond the standard ones found at most restaurants these days, but we were too full to try any of them. They do have a separate bar area and an outdoor dining area with live music featured most evenings. It was an overall okay experience, but we know many other similar or better restaurants in the area that are much closer to home.