Ginnie Springs
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in High Springs
See available hotels
Cadillac Motel(High Springs)
Royal Inn(Alachua)
  • Room Service
View Hotel
Palms Garden Inn(Lake City)
View Hotel
All reviewslots of funcommon sensebath housereviews saycamping areamid daygreat timessunday afternoonamusement parkrent tubeslazy riverfloatweekendscanoesnorkeldiveelectricity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 8, 2010

The park is beautiful, but I have never seen so much drinking and strange behavior. My family and I went on a walk in the morning only to see some bearded man staring at us from his white Volkswagon Camper. It really freaked us out. There was also people who stayed up late at night screaming "Daaeeoooo!" and playing guitar (If you want to call it that). We are big snorkelers and saw a similar looking fellow to the camper incident getting "what I can only call a splash bath" from a girl in the springs. We seemed to have startled him and he quickly ran off. Overall, the staff is excellent and helpful. I have concerns over the clientel that frequent this place. The river itself is beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank elbrento
Reviewed June 5, 2010

I would not take small children, things I have encountered....a "couple" on top of a pickup truck. In the womens bathroom, was concerned because of a "couple" in the next stall. When in the womens bathhouse, heard a "comotion" outside the door......a group was arguing and a boy/man tried to enter the bathroom...I voiced a concern that it was a "womens" restroom...to which "they replied" BACKOFF AND MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS. I felt threatened and wished my husband had been there to accompany me. Everytime I go to the bathhouse I feel concerned that I may be in danger!!!!!!!!!!!!! We love this place BUT the security is very much an issue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Our last stay during the night (around 1am) and we are tent campers, there was a "person" in our campsite that we did not know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank caribbeach
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I have been coming to Ginnie for over 20 years now. Just got back after a 3 year absence.
True, it is loud at night ..but the real downer is the theft. Chairs were stolen from around the campfire at night, coolers, and my friends lap top. Lock up everything when you leave your camp, just not at night. There are local cops that patrol the area at night, who will sneek thru the bushes to bust the lone quiet pot smoker. While the wild party's are racing their golf carts down the roads, and the thieves are having a field day.
Beautiful place that used to be cool for kids ( too much profanity now). Hopefully the law
will focus on the real problem.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank cat8Gainesville
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We spent 2 nights at Ginnie Springs at a beautiful Wilderness Campsite. It was not a much sought after “river site” but it was still very wooded and beautiful. This campsite had two picnic tables, a BBQ grill, and was a short walk away from running water. Having two small children (3 & 5), it was important for us to find a good campsite.

After reading several reviews stating that Ginnie Springs was not, a place for families I was afraid to follow through with our trip. Yet, I decided to try Ginnie Springs anyway, and I am glad I did.

It might be because I visited during the week (Thursday & Friday night) but it was a Holiday weekend so it was busy. Yes, there were lots of young people, yes it was a little noisy at times but over all it was not too bad. I did not see public displays of drunkenness and debauchery, and at no time did I feel uncomfortable having my children around the environment.

I would suggest that when choosing a campsite, try, and find a more secluded area where your neighbors are not at close proximity. The River sites are great but they are right next to each other and I can see how that could be a problem, if the college kids want to have an all night party and you are trying to put your little ones to bed.

We kayaked on the river and swam in the spring (short swim) the water is freezing, 72 degrees year round. Two nights is the longest I would stay. Overall, I would do the 6 hr drive again. It was truly a unique experience.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank MoMo083
Reviewed March 24, 2010

Well where do I start? The first night we camped next to these obnoxious campers that crowded in on our spot and stayed up all hours on the night screaming quotes from the movie "Silence of the Lambs"...I will let you use you imagination. Not to mention they stayed up singing and playing (if you can call it that) guitar all night. The second day our neighbors woke up extra early and started playing music from their car very loudly...it was Johnny Cash and when I asked one of the campers to please turn it down he yelled curse words at me. Later that day one of the campers got so drunk he ran his dirt bike into the side of a golf cart...I couldn't believe it...so dangerous!! One of his friends got so upset that he ran off into the woods? Very bizarre bunch of campers as a whole!! Then on the last day I was showering in the Girl's restroom and some guy appeared out of one of the shower stalls like no big deal..I was taken a back. In any case it was an interesting camping trip. I do have to say that we had a wonderful camping spot right next to a beautiful pasture full of horses. Will return for the bobbing and unspuds!!!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends