Ginnie Springs
High Springs Country Inn(High Springs)(Great Value!)
$64
$65
$139
$122
TownePlace Suites
Palms Garden Inn(Lake City)
TripAdvisor
Econo Lodge West(Gainesville)
All reviewslots of funcommon sensebath housereviews saycamping areamid daygreat timessunday afternoonamusement parkrent tubeslazy riverfloatweekendscanoesnorkeldiveelectricity
Reviewed June 4, 2012

We just returned from Ginnie Springs yesterday. I will be the first to admit that I haven't been camping in a while, although I have been camping a lot. I have to campsites that are a lot quieter than Ginnie Springs. My husband and I went with another couple and we all stayed in the water and electric camp sites. It was quieter there than down by the river. If you're planning to come here with kids or impressionable teenagers I would steer clear of the river. The first thin I thought of when driving in that area around 9pm at night was spring break. If that's your thing, then this is your place. This is the kind of campground I would have more appreciation for during those crazy college years. There are a lot of beer cans in the river, which is really disappointing. The water is nice and refreshing, although the current is pretty slow. I saw complaints on here about the showers and I disagree. I didn't think the bathrooms were that dirty at all. [Sidenote: You should always wear shower shoes in public showers regardless of how clean they look!!]
Ginnie Springs served its purpose for me and my group, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't hesitate to bring my children here. As for as family friendly, I would rate this a D. There are a lot of foul mouthed college kids who like to be loud and carry on. The music played by fellow campers wasn't always edited, so even then you're children are at risk for hearing obscenities.
For couples and young people its a good choice, just probably not for families or recovering alchoholics.

Room Tip: I would skip the breakfast at the Ginnie Cafe to hit up the Springs Diner or Bev's in town!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trpauley
Reviewed June 3, 2012

We camped on June 1st weekend & it was nothing but teens & collage kids getting drunk. The smell of Beer & Pot covered all camping areas. To try & get to the main spring was wall to wall drunk kids, alot were not drinking age, beer pong was in the road you had to walk or drive. kids passed out at springs, getting sick, driving crazy & the beer cans in the bottom of the springs was bad. The bathrooms were cleaned one time in 3 days we were there, & I had to go ask for toilet paper to be put in the bathroom. All the rules that the web site says, none were followed, golf carts, ATV carts, screaming & load music till 4 AM, I could go on & on. My dogs are better behaved than the kids there, which no dogs allowed but the owners dog is allowed to ride in his golf cart around the park.

I am just wanting to worn families.
If your a teenager it's for you.

Kellie

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Kellie R
Reviewed June 1, 2012

My boyfriend & I have been going with friends every June & August for the past 3 years and love it! This is a trip that we look forward to for months in advance. Yes there is drinking but the rules are enforced; esp about being quiet after 11 pm. We bring our tent & camp away from the river up by the family section & hear absolutely nothing. The only thing that wakes us up is the smell of people cooking breakfast. Our friends have a side by side that we load our tubes /rafts on & we take that up the river to drop everyone off at so we can float & dive back down the river. We usually play recereational activites like volleyball & camp out. Its so cool there during the night that we sleep with blankets & an open tent. I was horrified to read some of these reviews that have been posted. I think that some of these reviews are a little bit exaggerated. & just an FYI if you want to have a camping trip with your family dont camp next to a bunch of partiers who stay up all night & i would recommend that if you want something a little bit more quiet... dont camp there over a holiday weekend!! Thats just common sense! This next trip we are bringing our 4 yr old nephew & our friends are bringing their 3 & 4 yr old kids. If Ginnie Springs was that big of a party place they wouldnt have considered bringing them at all! This place is definitely worth visiting & we drive 5-6 hrs to stay for the weekend. It has beautiful springs, cool nightly temp's esp for summer time & its a very very RELAXING time.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Lauren M
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We made reservations but did not check reviews. Good thing we went during the week! You can see the signs that they cater to heavy partiers. The bail bond billboard outside the entrance was a big one! The river was full of beer cans, in the water and on the banks. So sad to see such disregard for the environment. Partiers began arriving Thursday. Only a few, but plenty of loud music. Time to move one, so we did.

• Stayed: May 2012
5  Thank April H
Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

We went at the end of may, memorial day, seemed like UF was there with all the frats/sororities. Loud rap music, over crowding, trash...etc. we had roped off our section of the campground and in the middle of the night someone had camped on our site!!!! It's a big place with no transpiration to and from the river so you end up carrying everything. We ended up staying 1 night out of the planned 4 nights and drove up north to another spring and campground.

• Stayed: May 2012