“Great park overall with fairly nice bathrooms but ...”
Review of O'Leno State Park

O'Leno State Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Located along the banks of the scenic Santa Fe River, a tributary of the Suwannee River, the park features sinkholes, hardwood hammocks, river swamps, and sandhills. As the river courses through the park, it disappears underground and reemerges over three miles away in the River Rise State Preserve. One of Florida's first state parks, O'Leno was first developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the 1930s. The suspension bridge built by the CCC still spans the river. Visitors can picnic at one of the pavilions or fish in the river for their dinner. Canoes and bicycles are available for rent. While hiking the nature trails, visitors can look for wildlife and enjoy the beauty of native plants. The shady, full-facility campground is the perfect place for a relaxing overnight stay. Located on U.S. 441, six miles north of High Springs.
Reviewed April 11, 2012

This was our first official camping with our kids and we had a site next to and near their friends and parents. It was in March and there ended up being a tornado warning. Prior to this and throughout the stay it was fairly windy which seemed to contribute to the tick problem. I ended up with the most by far as I never used any bug repellent (had between 16-18). The rest of the family, pets, and other families probably had generally between 4-6 ticks each and they all used repellent so it obviously helps.
As I talked about our experience over the next 2-3 weeks to probably about a half dozen people or so, at least 4 of them said that is where they had similar experiences. I really hate that this happened because before we had found any on us, we were definitely planning on going back. In retrospect though wish I would have heard of this prior to going. Since this is an overall rating, I rate it average (would have been very good or excellent), but its not worth it to me to have to deal with that and the possible health issues that have been increasing related to ticks.

1  Thank john g

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We camped here with children a couple days before Halloween and had a good time. Only regret was that the river was too low to rent a canoe in the park. We spent the day hiking one of the trails along the river and had a good time - beautiful scenery.

The camp site was large enough for our popup and the bathrooms were clean. Just be aware one of the roads that loops some sites is very narrow and uneven with several elevation changes. Actually added to the rustic feel.

2  Thank Steve724941
Reviewed January 2, 2012

trails in the park. I feel like I have the whole park to myself.

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Stayed in February with family of four in a popup. Sights are roomy and private with sensible layouts. Campground is extremely well maintained and bathrooms were clean. Great playground areas, neat historical buildings, and plenty of biking and hiking. Canoeing is also very good, upriver and down. As a bonus, their firewood is reasonably priced at $5.00 per bundle. Hope Gov. Scott doesn't axe this one.

8  Thank The_Griswald_Crew
Reviewed January 18, 2011

My husband and I camped MLK weekend 2011. The sites are way too close together. They also don't have grills. Well, they do, but they are over the fire pit 6" off the ground. The bathrooms were clean, and the rangers were very friendly. We just didn't like that we had other capers literally 10' from us with no foliage. The Magnolia loop is better than Dogwood, and it looked like #23 Magnolia was one of the most secluded. It is close to the bathroom, but I'd choose that over what we had (#12 Mag)

The trails were really nice.

2  Thank FloridaNASAgirl