“front desk clerk”

Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Hialeah
Reviewed July 1, 2012

checking into the hotel front desk clerk (JAMERSON) in my perspective this gentleman has so much hostility and animosity forward this quest I was totally surprise being a platinum member when to the room the room was very clean,the security officer that young man was really on his job patrolling the property you wake to a marvelous breakfast the lady's always a wonderful smile on there faces and you check out you are greeted by Nick or Midloune or Alicia they make sure your check out is great, checking out is totally Excellent the checking in was a nightmare made the stay very unpleasant ..........

Room Tip: higher floor on the 5th floor real quiet
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Certain criteria define a hotel very quickly. One is the accordion folded tissue. This is something you won't find in a luxury hotel and it's mind boggling why lower end properties insist on their staff wasting time pleating a tissue. As if I didn't already know on seeing the location, the Holiday Inn Express in Hialeah is a low moderate property and three stars is generous. We chose this hotel because it fell in line with multiple destinations for a family event. We won't be back.

Our experience made us feel like we were right back in some of our Latin American haunts. English was not the lingua franca. That was Spanish and we literally had to get down to gesticulating to get a laundry bag.

That said, the staff were all lovely, if not particularly polished or sophisticated. We discovered this when we checked in and the receptionist told us that she had a little gift for us because we're Priority Club members. She produced a basket and we could choose one little bag of chips or another item of similar value. Nothing would have been classier!

The room and amenities were spartan. The view was of the pool which is surrounded by a parking lot with several long haul trucks. The truckers more or less define the hotel guest list. They walk into the breakfast room attired for a day of hard and dirty work. Leave your designer duds at home. The breakfast itself is typical Holiday Inn Express with the cheapest quality cutlery. If you do make yourself a pancake you'll have a hard time cutting it with the very bendable plastic knife.

The upkeep of the property needs some work. For example, call for an elevator and the up or down light doesn't go on. Same with the floor selection buttons. No lights. Did you push it or not? Wait and see. I also noticed that the areas where the carpeting met the rooms in the hallway, admittedly a difficult place to vacuum, were not clean in any of the rooms we passed. And in our room a bathroom paint job would have been nice.

One last item: eating options around the property. It's fast food (almost all the chains) or nothing. Period. You'll have quite a ways to go if you want a selection of more upscale dining.

Room Tip: To choose a good room ask for a room away from the trucks. We did and we were ignored.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rojersey
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes), responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Dear rojersey,

Thank you for being a Priority Club Member and leaving us a review. I am glad you found our staff service commendable. I want to assure you we work hard to ensure our facilities are superior and we strive to be the best Holiday Inn Express around. Please accept my sincerest apology if you found our hotel less than satisfactory. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed June 20, 2012

My family booked approximately 20 rooms at this hotel to attend a funeral. This hotel was very accommodating for a large group. The breakfast and staff was great. The hotel was very clean and met all of our needs. Special Thanks to Rosalyn, Owen and Estella. We will be back!!!!!

Room Tip: Suites are larger and offer privacy if needed.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for two nights on the way to a vacation in the Caribbean from Minnesota. With a (rental) car the place is easy to get to, depending on traffic and the route I'd say it takes somewhere from 20 to 30 minutes from Miami International. The hotel has reserved free parking and that's already a big plus. The room was spacious and immaculate. Somebody else wrote that WiFi didn't work for them, well it worked absolutely fine for me. Another somebody mentioned that the service staff and the front desk was nice, friendly and helpfull which exactly mirrors my experience. On top of that I'd like to point out that their breakfast was really, really good. Plenty of everything, never a shortage and ample seating. The downside is that plates, cups and cutlery are all single use items that just get tossed amounting to a lot of waste. It is basically because of this that I rate this hotel 'only' as very good and not excellent. Well and there are the windows which - even when they're closed - allow for quite a bit of noise and since the hotel is right next to Florida State Road 826 (a.k.a. Palmetto Expressway) you'll want to think twice about opening them unless you're a very solid sleeper. Now I know I can't blame the freeway for being there but I believe it was there before the hotel was built, so sound proofing the windows would've been the way to go.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Thank you to this Holiday Inn. The accommodations were great! The customer service was wonderful. Especially enjoyed the front desk and their help and sense of humor at the desk. They were very helpful. Want to give a shout out to the Kitchen staff. It is hard to put out a breakfast when there are many folks to serve. The breakfast area was kept clean, breakfast was kept stocked and warm. It was very busy and they made sure that every guests needs were met. I especially want to thank them for their heartfelt Happy Mothers Day Card they gave me on Sunday. We will stay there again and again!

Room Tip: Just Ask---they will accommodate.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
CPapadopulos, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes), responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful comments which I have shared our staff. We are delighted that your stay was so memorable. By the way, the Mother’s Day card was actually our breakfast hostess’ idea. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Constantino Papadopulos

Reviewed May 7, 2012

The Good:
-The suite was clean.
-The location is convenient as it's at about 30 to 40min to the beaches or Miami. I won't complain about the hotel being in the middle of a huge highways crossing as I knew it beforehand.

The bad:
-The WiFi wouldn't reach the bedroom in the first suite that was given to us (at the far end of the corridor -- hence the poor signal). So we had to move rooms.
-There is a kitchenette alright but no plates, no cutlery. Does not make it very useful, then.
-The pool: When we went to try it, there were no reclining chairs (and no beach towels available). When we asked the staff why, they shrugged it off by saying it was because they were in the middle of changing their furniture...

The Ugly:
-Our room was on the pool side. But right NEXT to it there is a parking lot for articulated HGV that would let their refrigerator engine running ALL NIGHT LONG! When we complained about it the next morning, the staff told us that it was usual as there was an agreement between the hotel and whoever parked their lorries there at night (see photo)...
-The "double bed" size was ridiculous. Queen size? Only for an anorexic queen, then. Rather an enlarged single bed...
-That, and the noisy air conditioning, made our nights miserable. The hotel boasts its double glazing; they should try TRIPLE glazing and NEW windows frames.
-We were woken up at 3:15am, the day we left, by the "plick-plick" sound of a leak falling straight on my shoes, apparently from the room upstairs. No way to stop the leak so I put the waste bin under it, let the shoes dry and had to make do with the "plick-plick" noise for the rest of the night (see photos).
-The staff, with two notable exceptions (Nilo and a young lady), looked and acted immensely bored. They didn't seem to find our problems (the lorries' noise, the lack of reclining chairs, the leak and the damage to my shoes) worth noting...

We had chosen this hotel for its rating of 4 out of 5 (wonder how it scored 4!) but we have been immensely disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side of the pool!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PhNParis

I’m sincerely sorry that your stay with us was not up to our usual standards. We do appreciate your feedback and can assure you that we will address the issues you encountered so that they do not happen again. In fact, we are already working on a couple of items that will improve our guests’ experience – (1) installing fiber-optic cabling to increase high-speed internet bandwidth, (2) purchasing new pool furniture, (3) purchasing new air conditioning units.

Constantino Papadopulos

Reviewed April 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night prior to boarding our cruise. We arrived earlier than check in, and we're asking if we could just drop our luggage but our room was already ready. Rooms are very spacious, bathrooms have nice tile and everything was clean. Believe me, coming from me that is a huge compliment because I am extremely picky about where I stay. Staff were friendly and helpful with directions and suggestions. Free breakfast was adequate, nothing special but ok. I would definately stay here again when I return to the Miami area.

Stayed: February 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hialeah
Ramada Hialeah/Miami Airport
Courtyard Miami Lakes
Courtyard Miami Lakes
#3 of 4 in Miami Lakes
TownePlace Suites Miami Lakes

Been to Holiday Inn Express Miami-Hialeah (Miami Lakes)? Share your experiences!