“Worst Tomato Pie Ever!!!”
Review of Tomato Cafe and Tea Room - CLOSED

Tomato Cafe and Tea Room
Cuisines: American
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Will not return. Waitress acted like she was doing us a favor by waiting on us. Never smiled!! The tomato pie was the worst I have ever had. I only took a couple of bites. The waitress picked up the near full plate and never ask if something was wrong.

5  Thank SadieSimpson
There are newer reviews for Tomato Cafe and Tea Room

Reviewed September 9, 2012 via mobile

Ok...so I am with my family taking my bride shopping in Havana. We are hungry and stop in The Tomato Cafe. Everything on the menu is appealing to a variety of tastes (which is good when you have teenage kids).

Anyway...we were in the mood for a little bit of everything. We tried the Tomato Pie (OMG!), Philly Steak (good), Rasberry Scone (Awesome), and Chili Dog (good).

My 14 year old son wanted a second Philly Steak, my wife and I shared the Tomato Pie and basically had a fork fight over the last couple of pieces. My mother in law was gracious enough to let me try a slice of the warm Rasberry Scone. Delicious! We just moved to Tallahassee and when my wife says she wants to go shopping again I will be drooling until we sit down for lunch at The Tomato Cafe!

1  Thank TallyhoMark
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Today I took a friend to lunch. In addtion to something new, we wanted a place where we could hear each other [not numerous different channels on tvs or loud conversations from a bar/lounge]. Tomato Cafe & Tea Room was the perfect spot! As is typical of small towns, when I called for the address/directions [since I'd left home without them], the first person to answer did not know the address. However, she promptly put someone on the phone who was very helpful. We arrived around noon midweek. We parked along the street of antique shops & entered through the side door. Inside were some items for sale such as tea pots, glassware, linens, jewlery, etc - all attractively displayed. Just a few steps away was the entry to the restaurant. There were 8-10 tables accomodating from 2 to 6 or 8 people each - most were for 4. There is an extensive tea selection We shared a medium pot of a 4 berry selection named Angel something [second from the top choice]. Our waitress said it would yield 4 cups. It did better than that & we were glad since it was tasty. My friend tried her second cup over ice & said it was fine that way, too. I chose the tomato pie & side salad with balsamic vinegar on the side. The salad was fresh & tomato pie [about 1/6 of an 8" pie] very good - cheesy, creamy & nicely seasoned - not too salty. My friend ordered the chicken salad sandwich & from about 5 bread choices, selected pumpernickel swirl. It also was nicely presented & she said that it was good. For desert we shared a slice of the 4 layer chocolate cake from among a number of choices - all but 2 of which were homemade. The slice of cake was plenty for 3 people! In fact I brought some home for my spouse. It was also delicious & did not have excess gobs of frosting. We visited & lingered while finishing our tea. Then we looked at some of the items for sale in the restaurant which were begging to be explored in this quaint establishment which typifies the town of Havana. Soon I hope to return soon with my spouse - perhaps for their pasta bar night.

2  Thank traintraveler53
Reviewed April 22, 2012

This is about a 2 hour drive from where I live and I had to cancel going to see Lady Antebellum because my best buddy came down with Stage 2 Non Hodgkins Lymphoma New Years week. So he's in chemo and he can't be in a crowd like that and my BFF his wife just really didn't want to leave him one week after his last chemo treatment. So, I put the tickets on craigs list and this sweet girl Kristen who lived in Atlantic Beach got them and we met halfway. I had a restaurant.com cert for this restaurant that we didn't get to use on the Sugarland trip so Janice and I made a day of it. This is a quaint little town with all kinds of antique stores and just the most pleasant atmosphere their open all weekend and then there's the Tomato Cafe and Tea Room. This is by far the best tomato pie I have ever eaten and it was so good that we decided to buy a whole pie to bring home so Richard could have some too. The ladies were so nice they couldn't cut the pie in half for us because it wasn't cool enough and there is so much cheese that they gave us an extra tinfoil pan and a real pie server from their kitchen so when i got dropped off in Defuniak Springs we could cut the pie and Janice could take half home. The key lime pie was to die for and they dress it up. We will definitely be going back there again. Happy side to story, Richard is in remission and Janice and Richard don't know it but I've got tickets in June for Lady Antebellum at Pelham AL outside. It's a beautiful place and he'll be better then because he's already in remission. Thank you God. What a surprise that will be.

3  Thank fergiebaby1
Reviewed January 25, 2012

We went out of our way when we heard about the tomato pie at this place and it was well worth the trip. The Brunswick stew was just a nice tasty dividend. My wife had a roast beef chibatta that was delicious too. In addition to the really good food, there are many kinds of tea by the pot or by the cup. In one corner of the small cafe are many hats of all kinds, boas, and other dress-up stuff. The staff encourages dressing up whether you're young or old. There are many tomato dishes of course, but I only sampled the tomato pie and it was to die for. The downtown of Havana is very quaint with antique shops and other little shops so there will be more to your trip than just great food. Enjoy!

4  Thank Chuckospringpatch