“A Little Cuba North of Havana”

Padrino's Cuban Cuisine
Cuisines: Cuban
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Ottawa, Canada
“A Little Cuba North of Havana”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

The day I went for lunch they had a special of fried calamari, which is one of my favorites when the fish is fresh (not frozen) and cooked correctly (and one of my hates when it is not). It was perfect at Padrino's. And altho' only an appetizer, the portion was so large that I had to take my second plate -- Lechon Asado: a sandwich filled with chunks of tender roast pork and grilled onions -- home with me in a doggy bag to enjoy for dinner. The menu is ample with many Cuban favorites in addition to Padrino's specialties. Service by my waitress was super attentive without being annoying. Being a Canadian snowbird in FL for the winter, I am definitely looking forward to going back to Padrino's. You cannot find Cuban food as good as this in Ottawa!!

• Hebrew first
New York City, New York
“Fun!”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Very good food, very good service. Need I say more?

I had the grilled chicken, my friend had the fish. Loved the black beans.....

Chemainus
“Don't miss this one”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Excelllent food! Super and very friendly service. Even though there was a bit of lineup, we only had to wait for 10 min or so. Boy, was it ever worth it! I had chunk roast pork ( mmm... so tender) and my husband had the pollo relleno ( chicken). Stuffed breast with cheese. Very tender and way too much food. Consider splitting the meal, if you want to save room for bread pudding. Sadly we didn't get to try it, as we were too stuffed.
If you're staying in a hotel in Hallandale, this is a must to try. Our hotel restaurants didn't get good reviews, so we opted to go out. We could have walked, but weren't sure how the traffic was at night. So we drove and it was only a couple of minutes. Easy to get in and out of the lot.
We will make sure to come back this way.
Compliments to the chef!

New York, NY
“Never miss a visit to Padrino's”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Started coming to Padrino's courtesy of a friend's retired parents who lived in Hallandale about 10 years ago. They raved about it. So while I was worried when we drove up to the strip mall to venture in. Well, I was pleasantly surprised and have returned there very year we go back to Miami. While the decor is more family friendly dining, with typical overhead lighting, leatherette booths and more of a chain restaurant atmosphere, the food is consistently good, fresh and well priced. We've tried everything but our favorites are Vaca Frita, Ropa Vieja and the Arroz Pollo Rellenos. Served up with white rice, black beans and either sweet plantains or yucca, you cannot go wrong for only $12.99! Add in an ice cold cerveza and I am in heaven! I've tried other cuban restaurants all over Miami, including the overly commercial Versailles and Lario's on the Beach, which to me are tourist traps with tourist prices than a great dining experience. I've also eaten at cuban restaurants back in NY, NJ etc that are in cuban neighborhoods, but nothing matches the low key quality of Padrino's. This place is a great choice no doubt about it.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank srgirl4ever
Naples, Maine
“Had high hopes. Sick now. ”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

Seated right next to restrooms and waitstaff area with 20 plus other tables wide open. Another couple in casual/ sporting clothing same. They asked to be moved. We were too tired. Food luke warm at best at 5:30pm! Had them nuke it. Tasted good. Waiter did not speak the Kings Language. Hinders service I'd say. No less than 5 waitstaff at any given time leaning against walls chatting. Young waitress with ponytail very pleasant and on the ball! Would we go back? Nah. Never felt like they cared if we liked the place. Got a scowl from hostess, handsome husband got a big smile. Who needs the tude and or apathy. Cool to Luke food at 6pm?? Really wanted to love it...Oh, and both ladies commodes backed up...ya, we won't be back.

UPDATE: Indigestion and WORSE. I had a bad feeling when I sent the food back to be warmed up.