“Changed ownership - still solid”

Il Mercato Cafe & Wine Shop
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
“Changed ownership - still solid”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

The only reason I'm writing a second review is that they changed ownership. This is not to say that the place has skipped a beat. I was very happy with my latest visit. All my favorites dishes hit the right notes. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite dishes, the spaetzle, has gotten better as they are charring some of the spaetzle and leaving some creamy, which gives it a great textural contrast. The truffle fries were a hit as well as any of the pasta dishes. My 15 month-old was well accomodated there and the staff was friendly and helpful as usual. Definitely a must-hit if you are in Hallandale.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Michael V

Aventura, Florida
“GREAT LOCAL RESTAURANT”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

this is a small charming italian restaurant. Great place, excellent food and service.
Good pasta and fish, great wine selection and good beers.
Definetly worth the visit. Reservation recommended, small place.
Owners are great hosts

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank JessiJim
Miami, Florida
“Humble location Fantastic Food”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

You must go if you are in Florida anywhere between Fort Lauderdale and Miami. It is well worth the trip. Be sure to make a reservation. They were packed when we went on a Thursday night in August. ( So not season) The food is remarable in its freshness and unique seasonings and pairings. Close your eyes and you could be in Paris or Venice. Flavor packed. Nothing over powering just really good. The wine was good and as other reviewers have said not overpriced. We too enjoyed having half plates and sharing. Had a home made fresh peach crisp for dessert and would go back just for that. Had after dinner port and they had a good selection at a reasonable price. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 star was more about the service (o.k.) and the ambiance. Do youself a favor and add this restaurant to your places to try.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Avidtraveler919
North Miami Beach, Florida
“great food, great wine, a good time”
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Il Mercato in Hallendale is one of our go to spots for dining. First of all the wine list is on three pages of paper so it's ever changing. They also don't gouge you on wine markup. As well the chef is always creating new specials with local seafood and other creative uses of her talent. Typically we order a great salad with fried garbanzo beans, the calamari with pickled spicy peppers, a fresh fish dish, and a truffle infused spinache lasagne. Deserts are home made gelllato's or other sweets. Everybody's drinking wine and it is a real happy atmosphere. My only letdown is by posting this I may increase traffic and I won't get in.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank FreddyZa
Springfield, Tennessee
“A Wonderful Experience”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I was visiting my brother in Hallandale and he suggested that we go to this little restaurant. There were 4 of us in the party and luckily we had reservations. this place is busy. The menu is varied and they have half portions on most menu items. this made it so easy for me to then not feel guilty about ordering an appetizer and a dessert.
The truffle fries are a must have. Wonderful. I also had a grilled shrimp and rissoto dish. for a half portion, it was still a generous amount of food. Dessert is also wonderful. I ordered the warm apple crisp with gelato. We all ordered different desserts and tried each others.
The service was impeccable. Our server was Erika and she is a delight. Knowledgeable about the menu and wines, and excellent service.
If you haven't been to this restaurant yet, please do yourself a favor. Do make reservations and give it a try. I am positive you will go back again and again.

• Visited July 2012