“Great new discovery...and we are locals!”
Review of Beach Haus - CLOSED

Beach Haus
Cuisines: American, German, Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Beach Haus a seafood restaurant and bar is a waterfront restaurant situated in charming Gulfport, Florida, just outside St. Petersburg and South Pasadena. We are located on Beach Boulevard, just across from the historic Gulfport Casino. We offer casual waterfront dining, three full bars, nightly entertainment, and the most delicious and fresh seafood options around. We are a farm-to-table restaurant (All food is locally sourced) with the largest craft beer selection in Gulfport. All our beers on tap are from local breweries such as Cycle, St. Pete Brewery, Mad Beach Brewery, 3 Daughters and more! Our signature cocktail list in composed of only the freshest ingredients including liquor from the St. Pete Distillery. We take pride in our food and drinks, so come out and support a local business by enjoying it!
St. Pete Beach, Florida
“Great new discovery...and we are locals!”
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We live closeby and wanted to try a new restaurant for an early dinner today. A short hop to Gulfport with an intention of probably winding up at a familiar place. No parking, and we spotted a second floor deck at the Beach Haus. Hubby was thrilled to see that there were lots of German entrees on the menu, as he loves Weiner Schnitzel. I loved the idea of a lobster and shrimp quesedilla. The view was gorgeous and a nice breeze made everything very relaxing. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful! The food was excellent! The chat with other diners very nice! We will surely be returning! BTW, the Black Forest Cake in a cup was fantastic! We highly recommend this great eatery!

• Visited May 2014

Indian Shores, Florida
“A Haus On The Beach”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

There's not much in the food world that gets my taste buds a-twittering as much as seafood. I truly adore Poseidon's gifts from his salty domain, especially if they are presented in a bucket fresh from the steamer and filled to the brim with tasty treats anxiously awaiting a dip in a bowl of clarified butter.

Not long ago I discovered a German restaurant on the Internet that not only serves dishes from the Vaterland, but also lists steamed buckets that loudly called my name:

"Steam Beer Bucket
$24.50 1 lb. of Sweet Snow Crab, 1/2 lb. of Clams, 1/2 lb. Peel and Eat Shrimp, White Wurst, Corn and Potatoes cooked in German Pilsner Beer

Steam Wine Bucket
$27.50 1 lb. Whole Lobster, Scallops, Mussels, Knockwurst, Corn and Potatoes cooked in White Wine Citrusy Garlic Sauce

Steam Spicy Bucket
$27.50 1 lb. Whole Lobster, Clams, Crawfish and Debreziner Wurst, Corn and Potatoes, Spicy and Smokey Cajun"

The Beach Haus German Restaurant, 3128 Beach Blvd. South in Gulfport, has been on my gastronomic radar screen ever since, and finally my bride and I made the trip across the bay yesterday to avail ourselves of the Haus's bill of fare.

We were greeted at the door, presented with menus, and promptly seated in a mostly empty restaurant. We had missed the lunch crowd and we were too early for the dinner and party folks.

The Beach Haus has an upstairs deck area, but we decided to sit inside due to a rather stiff breeze that was blowing in from Boca Ciega Bay.

The lunch menu doesn't feature the steamed buckets of seafood, but our charming server, Tammy, pointed out that the buckets were available off of the dinner menu even at this early hour.

To be perfectly correct, I should have written 'bucket' since the Haus now only has one. The wine bucket and the spicy bucket are no longer offered. The remaining bucket is sorta the Steam Beer Bucket. Tammy mentioned that the menu had recently changed

The remaining bucket is described as a bucket built for two. I was hesitant to order so much seafood since my bride would not be sharing. Seafood with shells is not her stein of beer, so to speak. After mulling over my decision I decided to cowboy myself up and get that bucket.

What was served wasn't quite what I had imagined from the website descriptions. There was a whole lot of empty bucket. The shrimp were scattered about a scrawny looking snow crab. Under that was a mesh bag with a whole lot of mussels, some clams, a cob of corn, a few red potatoes, and a white wurst. The seafood and veggies were well prepared and probably would have been sufficient for two light eaters, but this was a bucket built for one. Also, it would have been a nice touch if someone had skimmed the crud from the clarified butter.

Another menu change that wasn't listed on the website is the cost of the bucket. It went from $24.50 to $36.50. I'm not complaining about the price, this is just an FYI. Seafood, like everything else we consume, is going up dramatically. The high cost of seafood is just something we will have to accept as a fact of life, though I do think the bucket should have been filled to match the two person price.

I'm not forgetting my lovely bride. She started with an order of potato pancakes with lingonberries and sour cream. The potatoes were crispy on the outside and moist on the inside. She was pleased with this selection.

Following the pancakes, she requested the Waldorf Salad Sandwich with chicken, apples, grapes, celery, walnuts, mayo, lettuce, and tomato on kaiser roll. Her side was a simple potato salad. Both salad and sandwich were good she said, just not spectacular. The salad was a little dry and could have used a bit more mayo.

With several beers apiece, our total came to a reasonable $63.39. We added 20% for Tammy. Except for the breeze coming from the bay, we were not blown away by our visit to the Beach Haus, but I am glad we gave it a try. I definitely would not return for the seafood.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jon R
Atlanta, Georgia
“Best hangout”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

The best venue to hangout and drink . Everyone is very friendly and the prices are very reasonable .

Visited April 2014
1 Thank RogerGR988
“Go somewhere else if you want to experience Authentic German Cuisine!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We want to apologize in advance for this long review. We have never submitted a review for a restaurant before, but felt one was necessary after our recent visit to the Beach Haus. I lived in Germany for 4 years and learned to cook Bayerische (Bavarian) dishes. Although I make German meals a couple times per month, I was really looking forward to trying another German restaurant in the area. In Short, we were extremely disappointed in the food, the service and the costs. This was $63 (for 2 adults & 1 teenager) poorly spent. The Beach Haus fell short in every aspect of our visit. We will not recommend Beach Haus to anyone. We may give them a second chance in a couple of months to see if they react to the points below and chose to make improvements. If we return, we will provide an updated review.

1. Our waitress could not recommend any of the German dishes because she only eats salads and burgers.

2. Very poor selection of German beers. The waitress who works at a German restaurant had no clue what “Hefewiezen” beer was and wondered if it was a brand name. She said we do have Hacker Pschorr on tap, but did not know what type of beer it was. It ended up being Hefeweizen and the only authentic German thing about our visit.

3. The “Warm German pretzel” was soggy and tasted like it came from the freezer. You only get one medium sized pretzel for $6. I just baked 10 large authentic Bavarian pretzels this week for about $1.50 total. Granted they have overhead and labor to cover, but the price is outrageous for one pretzel. Applebee’s offers 4 medium pretzels at about the same price. Although Applebee’s are not “German” pretzels, they taste a lot better than the one we were served at the Beach Haus.

4. The waitress recommended the Swiss Burger to my wife. It came on a soggy pretzel bun and looked like a mess. My wife had to eat it with a knife and fork because it fell apart when she picked it up. She ordered the “Warm German Potato Salad” but received the cold potato salad. Since the waitress never checked back with us, my wife ended up eating it and said it was pretty tasteless.

5. I opted for the Wurst platter and selected one well-done grilled Bratwurst and one boiled Weisswurst. I received two Bratwurst, they looked like they were on the grill for about 1 minute and were only luke-warm inside. Johnsonville Bratwurst that are sold at the grocery store tastes 10 times better than the stuff I ate at the Beach Haus.

6. My son had the Schnitzel sandwich which tasted ok. However, he didn’t feel good the rest of the night after eating it.

7. Not sure if the Beach Haus is owner operated or not. There certainly did not appear to be anyone “In Charge” to talk to. We did see a gentleman seating other patrons, but he never came to our table to see how our meal was, nor did he say goodbye when we left.

Recommendations to the owners: Step up your game if you want to draw people in to experience "Authentic German” food. You have a long way to go to compare with the other local German restaurants on St. Pete Beach and Tierra Verde (no, we are not affiliated in any way to other restaurants). You and your team should eat at the other local German restaurants to learn how high the bar has been set (know your competition). At best, you have a beach bar with a good view. All employees should try every dish so they are able to describe/recommend them to your patrons. Increase the German Beer offering. Add a quality control step before serving the food. Not only were most of the side items incorrect for the three meals we ordered, but the appearance of the food was bad. Manage the floor and interact with your patrons. Give us reasons to want to come back and recommend Beach Haus to others. As of now, we only have reasons to stay away.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank JJ M
Gulfport, Florida
“No service”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Four of us tried to have dinner here. we were told to sit wherever we wanted. No one brought us menus. No one acknowledged we were there. Others were waited on, that came in after us. we left and were told to have a nice evening.

Visited April 2014