“Poor service...decent food”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

It's really a shame - I want to like this place. The food is pretty good, but the service is really bad. They may have been understaffed, but our waiter was near our table many times, and we tried to get his attention, but he was always rushed and didn't look out way. I ordered ride instead of pasta, letting our waiter know I have a gluten intolerance. My dish came with pasta anyway, and I could never get his attention to fix it. The table next to us came 20 minutes after we arrived, and had their food well before ours arrived. It was a very disappointing experience.

1  Thank cathy c
There are newer reviews for La Cote Basque Winehouse

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I returned with friends after a six year hiatus and found nothing changed. The interior is still the same with dust collecting stuff hanging everywhere (some would call this eclectic). They did have a good wine list which we partook of. We ordered snails for appetizers and the bread served was thin and too soft to sop up the juices which could have used more garlic. The veal picatta was okay and not much for the price. The shrimp scampi was nothing to write home about. Maybe we were there on an off day but the waiter was sloppy and a bit conceited. There were crumbs on the table and the warmer plates. We sent back two dirty dishes. After sending them back our service was spotty. I will say that the vegetables were good. For the price and quality of this food, there are a lot more options in this area. As an aside, none of the restaurants that I went to in Europe were this dingy and dirty looking.

1  Thank Denise H
Reviewed May 31, 2014

This is not a large restaurant, but it certainly is one of the best I've ever experienced. The prices are also reasonable, and the wines we had were excellent. The food and the friendly, helpful atmosphere will draw us back. This is a favorite after one meal. I had Veal a la Française, and my wife had Wiener Schnitzel; it was impossible to say which was better. I'm sure there is not a loser on the menu.

The decor is very Old World and quite interesting. Gulfport is snugged up against St. Petersburg, and if you are in this area, it would be a shame to miss it.

Reviewed May 21, 2014

From the outside one doesn't see much but we were enchanted when we walked in; what a surprise - Europe in Gulfport. The interior is charming and very Swiss/French. The food is exquisitely the same. Run by a family from Switzerland with many years experience in restaurants, the kitchen turns out dishes that harken back to another era. People visit here from all over the Tampa Bay area. Reservations are a must.

Reviewed May 6, 2014

This restaurant has been in business for 40 years. It is mostly French style cooking and the food is very good. It is a quant, charming place and good for a quiet dinner with friends or romantic interest.