“The Best of Gulfport” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Backfin Blue Cafe

Backfin Blue Cafe
Ranked #6 of 40 Restaurants in Gulfport
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Gulfport, Florida, United States
“The Best of Gulfport”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

I really enjoy Backfin, it has been one of my favorites for the last 4 yrs. I just came from a restaurant in Gulfport. I should of stuck to Backfin. A New place called J's is where I had one of the worst meals ever.Gulfport residents, stay away from J's.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for your recent review and loyal endorsement. We appreciate our repeat customers and we always try to make us a worthwhile visit. You can try those others, just don't forget about Backfin Blue.

Orlando, Florida
“I hate saying this... But it Was too good !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Any of you that have read my reviews know that I am a VERY picky old curmudgeon... with many years in the hospitality industry. Therefore, I am critical.. washrooms count! Even the way a salad is prepared and the ingredients that most people just blow by...not me ! Anyway... here I go with a begrudging EXCELLENT. We arrived at the Backfin in wonderful Gulfport a little early and the hostess greeted us and we felt instantly at home. What a neat and kind of bohemian area...lots of quaint shops and eateries. Nice, safe family area. If your one that likes the 4 diamond properties..move on. If your one that truly likes great seafood and a relaxing "old Florida" style, then read on. We ordered a Corona with lime and a pinot...instantly served with a smile! We then ordered appetizers, a shrimp cocktail and a bowl of crab/corn chowder. Within minutes these arrived.... the presentation was simple and wonderful... and the tastes were simply amazing. The shrimp were large 5/10 count and cooked perfectly! The crab chowder was LOADED with crab and covered with lump crab! What a great way to start. We went on to order entrees of lobster / crab ravioli and the crab cakes (balls). When these arrived we were presently surprised to find that they were actually made from the ingredients as advertised. The ravioli was full of lobster and obviously hand made... the crab ball was about the size of a MLB hardball and was completely made of crab and lump in the most unique fashion....simply amazing. We were in crab heaven! The discussion was had... finish or box? there was that much. We decided to finish since crab does not keep well. Finally, we had to step away, say our thanks to these wonderful artists and Waddle our way to the car. LOL These young folks have it down, They truly get it...even the cole slaw and artichokes we had as sides were fresh, crisp and tasty. All said.... "we calls em as we sees em"... and this one is a gem ! Thanks to Backfin Blue for a GREAT experience. We will be back when in the area!

Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
I can stop sweating now, I was worried about when you were going to visit. lol. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and appreciate the review from a discerning diner. I often see folks with Maryland plates pull up with dubious looks on their faces because they've been burned by other places crab cakes and then they leave as my new best friend. Thanks again.
Lawrenceville, Georgia
“Comfortable place with good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

My family and I vacationed in Gulfport, FL this summer and Blackfin Blue Cafe was the 1st restaurant we visited. Wife and Kids had the crabcake sandwich and I had the grilled grouper sandwich and the crab and corn soup. Everyone enjoyed the food and the service was good. Nice start to a nice and relaxing vacation.

Visited July 2013
Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Well I'm glad you found us first. That Corn and Crab Chowder can be addictive. The first batch I made at home while I was developing the menu convinced me it was a winner when we started out just having a sample and immediately devoured the whole batch! Thanks for visiting.
gueydan
“Great crab cakes, great crab stuffed portobellos, great key lime pie!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

Food was great-- service was excellent! Outdoor and indoor seating in an old house with a large porch.

Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for visiting us and sharing your review. Our key lime pie is made by my friend Mike of Mike's Pies who I'Ve known since he started out much like us 20 years ago delivering pies out the back of his van while taking his kids to soccer (football since I'm currently in Europe) practice. Now his kids are grown and helping with the biz and hel distributes his pies nationally but still made from his mom's recipes!
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Crab Cakes are delicious!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

On a recent visit to Gulfport, FL, we stopped in for a bite to eat in this quaint little restaurant. We were seated outside on a lovely wrap around porch with lights and tiki torches all around it. The music across the way was playing and the breeze was a delite. It was a perfect evening. The smells from the kitchen were calling my name and so was the crab cakes. We ordered wine which was delivered right away and sat and talked for awhile. The service was great and the hostess was so friendly. Very professional, indeed. The crab cakes were the best I had eaten for awhile. Cooked just right and not dry, but very moist. My hats off to the chef! If you ever have a taste for crab cakes, wine and music, I would suggest you try the Backfin Blue Café.

Harold R, Owner at Backfin Blue Cafe, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Sounds like you had quite a nice time. I don't often get to sit and enjoy our restaurant but sometimes when we are closed I like to just sit and enjoy the little old house or the quaint quirky neighborhood that is Gulfport or stroll the waterfront. Your review reminds me of that feeling.