“Great cuban, great atmosphere”
Review of Habana Cafe

Habana Cafe
Ranked #10 of 41 Restaurants in Gulfport
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I have been here five or six times, most recently this past weekend, and my wife and I always try to go everytime we visit the Gulfport area.

The food is excellent, from the tasty picadillio to the traditional cuban pork and shrimp dishes. Great fried plantains and black beans too. If you like garlic, don't miss the Guantanamo shrimp appetizer. There is also a full selection of drinks. The atmosphere is tropical but not in any kitchy way. Diners can feel comfortable whether dressed up or casual. The restaurant has two levels, though the first floor has more ambience than the balcony. Parking is somewhat limited but if the lot is full there is plenty of parking on the side street nearby. There is also an excellent cigar shop on the property for those who like a good cigar after a meal. The restaurant, of course, is non-smoking. Overall, I can say I have never had a meal here I did not like, and my wife and I have tried most of the menu. The cuban bread is like mamasita makes, crunchy outside, soft inside and brushed with butter.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Just had lunch here and it has to rank up there in my top five lunches of all time. We had the Cuban sandwich (5.95 and huge) and it was spectacular. Shared a basket of onion rings (4.95 and really good) and a Cuban salad (4.95 and very large), also an order of the black beans and rice. We split the rings and salad 3 ways and still had some left. Everything was Outstanding. The dressing is homemade and very flavorful. The onion rings were crispy outside with sweet onions inside. Also shared a flan/cheesecake type dessert that the owner is focus for. It was very good and very rich. The staff was great and the place was very clean. Would go again in a heartbeat!

1  Thank cliffy31
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The people are kind, helpful, and hip. The food is delicious and authentic. The pulled pork is fantastic! I stayed away for a year after they let Marco Rubio tout himself on their stairway, but finally my craving for great food won, and I returned. Their cream cheese flan is the best in the world.

1  Thank SharonD727
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Service and atmosphere are good. The menu is everything that gets you excited about Cuban. The beans & rice and platanos maduros are on point. The picadillo falls well short, the lechon and camarilllos were tasty but left me wanting something more. I'd go back, but 3 of 5 is the ceiling here.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

If you like cuban this is one of the best places to visit. Very good value for the money, excellent food, good service. Only negative is beer/wine only liquor but the Dos Equis was good and cold.