“Unethical business practices, terrible customer service and verbally abusive staff!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kayak Nature Adventures

Kayak Nature Adventures
St. Petersburg, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

Unethical business practices, terrible customer service and verbally abusive staff! This morning my family and I made arrangements to rent a couple of kayaks from Kayak Nature Adventures in Gulfport. When we arrived I gave the attendant my credit card for payment. I did not sign a voucher because I assumed that the card was left open for security until our return. While we were out on the water my son asked why I had allowed the attendant to write down my credit card number on a piece of paper. I was not aware that he had physically written the number down on something other than a credit card voucher and was understandably concerned at this obvious breach of security in credit card handling. When we returned I asked the attendant for a credit card voucher to sign. He said that he did not have one. He said that he had called another person and given them my credit card information to run the card. I asked about the paper that he had written the credit card number on and he told me that he had torn it up. When I said that I would like to see the paper and get a receipt for the charges he instantly became very hostile. He told me that I would have to wait until he washed off the boats and the life jackets before he could walk up the eight foot ladder to the office and get the shredded paper for me. He told me that he had a job to do and this was not part of it. After waiting ten minutes for him to finish cleaning the boats and life jackets he walked up the stairs and got the garbage can from the office. He brought it down and handed it to me. He told me that I was free to go through it and see if I could find the shredded paper. When I told him that this was unacceptable he began to curse and threaten me. He told me that I wasn't going to get a receipt for the days charges and to get the [--] of his docks. When we got to the car outside of the fence he continued to curse. He even went as far as insulting us for not leaving a tip. He told me that helped us into the water in the morning and then pulled my fat [--] out of the water when we got back. I would caution anyone who is considering using this operation to think again. Poor customer service is one thing. Abusive employees are worse but writing a persons credit card number down on a piece of paper is a sign of total incompetence and indifference to standard business procedures. There are several other companies in the area that are more professional and friendly. If you don't mind being verbally abused and having your credit card information floating around somewhere give them a shot.

Visited July 2013
4 Thank Newin M

Cincinnati, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Would not rent from again...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Our day with the kayaks began smoothly. Although the owner was out of town and his daughter and her friends were running the show, we did not allow that to deter us. We (3 adults and 3 children) set off on an unguided tour in the soft but steady rain.
After about an hour in the mangroves, we ventured toward the beach. The girls had told us we would be able to pull up onto the beach to eat our picnic lunch. As we made our way there, suddenly one of the kayaks was getting tossed around, water thrashing everywhere. It was the scariest, traumatic thing any of us had ever gone through. We paddled as quickly as possible to get away from whatever was attacking us and pulled the kayaks up into someones backyard.
After calming the firghtened members of our party, one of us set off on foot to return to Kayak Nature's boat.
After 40 minutes, she returned and said that she waited there at the boat (along with a couple of other people who had a reservation) and no one was working there. The people with reservations left, and we were stuck having to carry 3 two-person (100 lbs each minimum) kayaks around 3/4ths of a mile back.
With 200 yards left to walk, I walked over to the boat and found the daughter, explained what happened and asked her to help us. She laughed and said "Oh, it was a manatee, it happens all the time." I asked what they normally do when someone gets stranded and needs help, her response was "You are responsible for returning your own kayak."
After calling the girl's father, he refused to refund ANY of the money we paid for the half day rental (that we used a single hour of).
We will never rent from Kayak Nature Adventure's again.

Visited July 2013