“Best food in Tampa Bay area”
Review of Neptune Grill

Neptune Grill
Ranked #4 of 41 Restaurants in Gulfport
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 21, 2013

OK, We only visit cousins here for a couple of days every year, and we have hardly scratched the surface on all the dining choices here. But, having chanced upon this modest Gulfport restaurant/bar last year, when the place our cousins had wanted to take us to was closed, it was our first choice this year for a meal out. Based on our two visits, I am ready to stand by my "best food" claim, especially for anyone with a craving for real Greek food. We honestly prefer Neptune Grill to any restaurant we have tried in Tarpon Springs. You just have to get past the unpretentious plain Greek village decor -- this is not the place for someone who values fine tablecloths and tablesettings! My memory of last year's visit was a standout domades dish, prepared the real Greek homestyle way with a lemony cream sauce. It was exactly like what I remember being prepared for us in Greece by the aunt of our Greek friend who we were traveling with. This year we started with the calamari, and I can see why a previous reviewer called these "the best calamari of my life". I actually really liked the homemade marinara sauce they were served with, with my only quibble being that I missed having the "spiders" of the calamari along with the rings. But yes, they rank up there with the best I have ever had, and probably are the best I have ever had in the USA. Other than this, my fish tacos were excellent, my wife's gyro was huge and delicious, one of my cousins ordered the California wrap (to his wife's amazement -- "He never orders a wrap!") which was far from wimpy, and probably will forever be the standard that no other wrap will meet, and my other cousins ordered the crabcake sandwich. It was a generous size, sort of falling apart, and clearly a great choice, although none of us were offered a taste. The almost crunchy, seasoned fried were declared by one cousin (the pickiest one!) to be the best ever. If we spent more time here, we would be back for the happy hour scene (margarita tuesdays?), or the live music nights, or just the food. Service on both visits was very friendly and efficient. Great place, you should try it!

1  Thank Rob_Anne

Reviewed January 8, 2013

For those who love Tzaziki and Hummus this place is the real deal, made from scratch (trust me I've seen the cook dance to greek music, he's the real deal). Great specials, I love the crab stuffed shrimp but the menu is all good and always consistant. Atmosphere may not draw you in at first, but the food will and will keep you coming in again and again.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We just moved to the area. Going to Neptune tonight for first time.Been to O'Maddys and it was good food&good service. We heard alot of great things about this place! Can't wait to se. Will give real review soon......
micsully

Dia V, Manager at Neptune Grill, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Thanks for taking the time to write a response. It is greatly appreciated. Look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Great bar with terrific atmosphere. Decided to eat this visit and was very impressed with standard of food.
Service good also

2  Thank JoandGarry
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We had the grilled octopus app and shared the special which was Flounder stuffed with crabmeat,baked potato,grilled veggies. It was absolutely delicious!!!! there's a lot of Greek menu items on menu that I can't wait to try. Tony Johnson-bartender/server was awesome. ask him for his specialty drink, Mississippi Sunset. GREAT place!!

2  Thank Linda M
Dia V, Manager at Neptune Grill, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are glad you enjoyed your experience and look forward to you coming back to try some of the Greek Dishes!

Thanks!