“Undiscovered Treasure”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Lakeland
“Undiscovered Treasure”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Wow! Who would of thunk it? A 4 plus star restaurant in the middle of BFE? Seriously when we saw it was rated # 1 in the area we thought so What? it is competing with Fast food and C-stores for food! The reality is that this place could hold its own in Miami, Tampa, Orlando, or any other metro city you want to name. Dont let the outside or the inside fool you. Its about the food not the fancy! We started with fried pickles as an appetizer. these were spears with a crazy good cajun dressing on them Crisp, spicy and well drained not greasy. I had a homemade tomato bisque that was the best I have ever had. It was sweet, full of fresh large chunks of tomato and light. Lots of complex flavors Awesome! We had a fantastic server that was pleasant, polite and on the ball, Glasses never empty, dirty plates never lingered and she was just evident enough to make sure we were happy without hovering. A great server in any restaurant. One of us had a Caesar salad with shrimp. the salad was fresh with large breaded shrimp. The other had grilled pork chops, these were lean and grilled on on open flame. Tender, juicy and cooked like a good piece of steak should be with a hint of pink showing. nice
We had a piece of pecan pie for desert, it was just fair and not homemade. The server told us the cobblers are homemade and we will try that next time. The restaurant is medium to relatively expensive with some special entrees bumping up against $30.00 per plate. I would not be afraid to go back and spend that kind of money now that I have experienced their quality. This is a place worth making a trip for or diverting on your way back from Orlando or North Florida if headed south. In reading a couple of reviews here, let me say it aint pretty! If you are looking for fancy stay in Orlando. If you are more interested in food quality that a fluffy atmosphere, this is the place for you.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Autonotions

California
“Pleasantly surprised! Well worth the drive, if you don't live nearby.”
Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is in an old, unassuming house. I was a little nervous when I saw "road kill" on the menu, (a joke) but all the food we ordered was very well prepared and delicious. The salads were crisp and chilled. The homemade dressings were creamy and flavorful. They were served with warm, crusty pretzel bread. The meats were cooked true to order and the veggies were not overcooked and seasoned well. Portions were generous. I think the highlight of everyone's meal was the cobblers. Our table tried the blueberry and apple and both were very good. .. served warm with a scoop of ice cream.
The server was very attentive and helpful.
After the meal, we enjoyed a walk around the property to see their goats, (some of which are "fainting goats, that faint if startled), pigs, donkeys, chickens and turkeys. We had a nice conversation with the owner of the restaurant who shared the history of the business.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank JenO1213
Louisville, Kentucky
“Long Drive for a Country Dive”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

After reading reviews of the great food at Red Wing, we decided to make the 45 minute drive from Orlando with another couple. Here are our thoughts:
Location - well, it is 45 minutes out to the middle of the country. It's surrounded by farms and there is no cell service.
Decor - as the title says, it's a country dive. We didn't expect much. Wood paneling (trailer style plywood paneling, not the type of wood walls in most restaurants) an array of different styles of tables and chairs. The place is an old house and is still is chopped up like a home with fake fireplaces and taxidermy.
Service - it was ok. We visited on a Saturday night and they were busy.
Food & Drink - the bottled beer wasn't cold enough. The tomato soup was very good as was anything fried, the garlic mashed potatoes and the mixed vegetables. Every piece of meat we had between the four of us (two filets, quail & duck) were below average. They all tasted strongly of the grill and the fuel used to cook.
With tip, we spent $55 per person on four dinners, three appetizers, two desserts and six beers. If we had spent half this much, we still would not be satisfied with the experience.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Travels-with-Billy
“Rock*star approved!: One of my favorite out-of-the-way places.”
Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

When I just want to get away and have a good tasting meal with no fuss...I take the Ninja and ride an hour to this place. Yes, an hour just for a meal. The food is good, the service is always friendly, and the attached farm takes me back to the simpler life I grew up with.

Don't be alarmed from the outside (or the inside for that matter)...this is not your typical "greasy spoon!" There is generally a few game selections on the menu (Bison, etc). Plus they have a great salad dressing to try (raspberry I think...can't remember).

Now...go there and it will become one of your favorites too.

• Visited June 2013
Clermont, Florida
“Dinner with friends”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband and I went to the Red Wing tonight with another couple. We had not been in over 10 years. I had the Black and Bleu tenderloin which was extremely good, my husband had Elk Chops with raspberry/amaretto sauce. My husband also had their soup, I cant remember the name but it was a Tomato Cream soup. I can tell you it was awesome!!! Don't let the look of the place fool you, if you are in the Clermont area its worth the drive to go out of your way to tiny little Groveland, FL

• Visited May 2013