“Not as Bad as Many Reviewed”

Old Marco Lodge Crab House
Ranked #5 of 5 Restaurants in Goodland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Went with my wife and parents while vacationing on Marco. Great scenery and located on the water. We have visited the Crab House at least a half dozen times over the last ten years. Yes, I have experienced at times slower than expected service especially when waiting for a table. Our waiter we had was very attentive and kept our drinks refilled and made sure our bread basket was refilled. I had the snapper which was very good, I did find a few bones still left in the fish as did my dad in his grouper. I guess this is to be expected when you have fresh fish. My wife and mom both had the stuffed shrimp which they enjoyed. Salad bar is a nothing exciting, just a typical salad bar which was fine with me. Prices are anywhere from $18-27 for dinners, which is also typical for Marco Island and Goodland restaurants. We have been visiting the area for almost 18 years and you will not find cheap dinners on the island unless you want to eat at McDonalds or Burger King. I will definitely return.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

We were looking forward to a restaurant that is heavily advertised on local TV. The surrounding is beautiful: on the water, birds, greens. The service was OK. We studied menu, $$$ (more then $20.00). To our surprise, our wine came in plastic cups. Appetizer was not bad - wings and snow crab. We did not get enough napkins (one per person) for the crab. For the main course we ordered 3 fish dish - $25.00 to split. The split charge was $7.50 which included separate choice of a side dish. We were not warned of the split charge. Fish was way over-salted and overcooked. I am not even sure if it was fresh fish or frozen. French fries were good.
You will like the receipt - our waiter circled the words TIP, TOTAL, and X for signature as a reminder not to forget to fill each line.
Next day i looked at my credit card expenses online. I found out that the transaction from the restaurant was the total plus 20% tip (we left 15%). Usually, restaurant runs credit card for the total as preliminary and later adds tip for the final process. I called restaurant, was told that it was bank that added 20%, not them. It was a lie.
I would not recommend it.
AK

Reviewed July 31, 2011

I wanted to like this place. It's off the beaten path in Goodland, it has a comfortable, "old shoe" sort of feel, and it's right on the water. But the service was average at best, and the food was really below par. There were three of us in the party--two of the entrees were bad enough that we just couldn't eat them--and no one could call us overly picky.

Reviewed June 13, 2011

Such a great location...able to sit outside and watch the sunset.. The food, however, was a different story. The salad bar is mediocre. The blackened fish entree was over priced and not really edible. Even when I scraped the "blackened" concoction off the fish, it was still so salty that I left over half uneaten. I have ordered fish blackened in a variety of restaurants and never found it to taste like a half shaker of seasoned salt. My friend had a grilled seafood platter that was in excess of $30 that she described as excellent although the crabcake was mostly filler. The restaurant wasn't crowded, the service was good and I found the servers to be friendly. There was also live music while we ate. This place has great ambience but needs to work on the food.

Reviewed May 7, 2011

don't miss the the great food and view. not to mention the friendly service