“A slice of the real SW Florida with your Key Lime Pie.”
Review of Marker 8.5

Marker 8.5
Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Goodland
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2012

If you demand luxury while you dine...do not go to Marker 8! If you like great food served by a fun loving staff while sitting on the waterfront on a screened in porch overlooking the start of the 10,000 Islands off Marco Island, Marker 8 is the place to dine. The bell is rung each time a boat passes by...luring tourists and locals alike! Cold beer, wine and a variety of menu items will be sure to satisfy your craving for fresh seafood. We take all our friends and relatives there when they visit us. We have not been disappointed!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

At the time of my two experiences at Marker 8 I was working as a chef at one of the highest rated restaurants in the area. I had been to Marker 8 the first time with my Mother on Mothers Day and we had an enjoyable time. We sat on the deck and ate some overpriced shrimp appetizer while enjoying drinks. The atmosphere was good so I appreciated the overall experience.

The next time I went to Marker 8 I was with my friend who is a well known local business owner. This friend of mine is not too fond of seafood but I convinced him to give this place a try because it is kind of a hole in the wall and I found it charming and I thought he would appreciate the experience as I had previously.

We walked in the front door and I headed for the outside deck but my business associate preferred to be inside so we sat inside where there were no other tables being served. It was cooler but the overall feel of the place was that it was a combination of greasy and dirty. My friend was hesitant and he and I noticed every sanitary flaw. We were hungry and wanted to try a new place in Goodland so we decided to stick it out.

He ordered a steak sandwich and a sprite and I ordered a grouper sandwich and a lemonade with an additional steak sandwich to go (which I was going to give to my wife when I got home). When the drinks came the lemonade had such a strong sugary artificial taste that it was torture to drink. When I asked the waiter to replace my lemonade with a sprite he gave me some lip as though it was a huge favor he was going to do for me. He was certainly not used to serving Michelin Star food and the fact that we were in Goodland allowed me to forgive him. What followed though cannot be forgiven...

When the food came it looked appetizing but my friend mentioned his steak on the sandwich was over seasoned. However, the real horror story begins with my dish... I sank my teeth into the sandwich and it was decent but on the second bite I bit into something I have never seen before. It was a small knot or bubble filled with what looked like ink. It burst and coated the inside of my mouth while staining my teeth and giving me an unbearable taste of rotten seafood mixed with rusty dishwater. I also had a numbing sensation in the front of my mouth and on my lips. I alerted the waiter and after he saw my face he freaked and apologized big time. He told me I wouldn’t have to pay for the sandwich. Looking at my plate and what was left of the fish you could clearly see something that looked like a black pearl which had been bitten in half and leaking inky fluid which covered the bottom of the plate. It was scary to look at. I'm not sure what it was exactly, maybe the grouper ate a squid with a deformed ink sack or something but it was horrifying. I joked about taking a picture and the waiter quickly moved the plate.

I am a professionally trained chef and I’ve worked all over the world and I wanted to see who in the kitchen had allowed this to happen, so I asked to speak with the chef. I know that a chef or cook would have been able to easily see the flaw to the uncooked fillet before cooking it so I wondered why he decided to serve it. When he came out, he was probably about 19 or 20, and looked unprofessional and he had an attitude. He argued with me and said there was no way he could have seen the blotch prior to cooking which makes me question his methods and standards and the owners of the establishments as well. The kid was certainly not fit to be running the kitchen and instead of apologizing to me for my bad experience he was telling me off for complaining. I never did tell him I was a local chef but maybe I should have. I was so turned off by the whole experience it has haunted me to this day. It is the worst experience I.ve ever had at a restaurant.

When the bill came they did charge me for everything but the grouper sandwich. My business associate was horrified throughout the ordeal and the entire meal went down as a tragedy which we still talk about every time we see each other. The taste stuck in my mouth for a couple days after that.

I love seafood, I love Marco and Goodland and Capri, I love the atmosphere of these waterfront joints but I am sorry to say that I am warning you not to go to Marker 8 for the food.

2  Thank chefjarrod
Reviewed June 22, 2012

On a rainy day, had a very pleasant lunch on the lanai overlooking the water! Reminded me of Micronesia...my soft shell crab and sweet potato fries were superb..then a nice cup of coffee to finish up the meal..The owner/server was funkily pleasant. Cool place in wonderful Goodland! Not to miss if you come to Marco!

Reviewed June 20, 2012

Marker 8 is extremely casual and rustic. We ate there twice for dinner during our week in Marco, and both times, we ate outside on the screened porch. The view of the river is really nice from the porch.
We had different servers both times we went, and they were both fabulous. They were knowledgable of the menu items and willing to make suggestions. Service was quick and very friendly.
The food was just heavenly. The first night, I had grilled grouper with tropical salsa and sweet potato fries. It was bliss on a plate. My husband had fried shrimp and my son had fried soft-shell crab. They enjoyed every bite. When we went back, I tried the fried fish and fried oyster combo. Even though oysters shouldn't have been good (it was June - no "r"), these were the best fried oysters I have ever had - by far. The fish was great, too.
The atmosphere could not have been more casual. On Sunday night, they had live music. It was a little loud, but quite good.
I know that we'll be back at Marker 8 anytime we are near Marco. To us, it was the best dining experience of our whole week in Marco.
But - if you enjoy the pretentious, over-priced, fancy restaurants of Marco, please do not go and annoy the good people at Marker 8. They offer unbelievably good food in an extremely relaxed setting. No air conditioning, no tablecloths, no fancy drinks with umbrellas. Just sweet, friendly people who feed you like you're family. It doesn't get any better than this.

Reviewed May 26, 2012

Enjoyed our meal at Mile Marker 8. Food was good. Atmosphere perfect. Nothing fancy.

1  Thank camFountainCo