“Fantastic Experience”

Shy Wolf Sanctuary Education & Experience Center
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Shy Wolf Sanctuary is located on a private residence and is not open to the public. Reservations are required. Please visit our website to make a reservation. Shy Wolf Sanctuary, Education and Experience Center, Inc. is a 501(3)(c) nonprofit organization in Naples, FL which provides a life-long home to over 60 rescued exotic animals, with most of them coming from abused, abandoned, or neglected situations. Our Healing Hearts program partners with area organizations for foster care and shelter adults and children. Through an educational experience with our animals, who have had similar life experiences, the animals teach us we can all heal if we forgive, trust and love. From the Heart ~ For the Animals
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 1, 2014

As others have said, this is a place you would never expect to find in a residential neighborhood. The couple who own the property and many, many volunteers have dedicated their lives (and fortunes) to taking care of these animals. Wolves, wolf/dog hybrids (about 20 each), several Arctic foxes, a Florida panther, a bobcat, and a few other assorted species have found a safe haven here after being either abandoned or neglected. It is such a shame that people don't have more common sense than to acquire an animal that is wild thinking they can manage it. How "cool" it must be to own one of these. Thank goodness there are people that will step up and take care of these animals when they are either abandoned or neglected..

You need to make a reservation (easy enough to do on-line) to take the tour of the facilities. The owner gives a 15 minute or so presentation that is quite informative on why the sanctuary exists along with the dos and don'ts while you are on the tour. We went with friends and can't say enough about the experience of seeing and being with some of these animals.

There is no charge to take the tour but donations are gladly accepted (but not solicited). We gladly left donations. The sanctuary is staffed by many volunteers that help feed, clean and otherwise care for the animals. I honestly don't know how they can take care of that many animals without some type of funding.

The tour was several hours long and before we left, one of the volunteers got the wolves howling. It was a real treat for us to be so close to real wolves howling in unison. It gave us all goose bumps.

I highly recommend taking the tour if you are into seeing and interacting with real wolves.

4  Thank Charles M
"hour tour"
"shy wolf sanctuary"
in 22 reviews

Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Heaven for Animal lovers !!
If you have the animal loving soul like myself and my wife, you will find the sanctuary enlightening

The whole place is incredible, the love & passion of the volunteers is out of this world, you cannot react any other way than wanting to help

Please remember that when you visit, the whole concept is volunteer run, you have to book, it is not a zoo, it is home to these rescued animals, so please donate generously , ( online also )buy a shirt, some gifts, or like us, sponsor one of the guests !

I think the wolf is such a misunderstood animal, whilst you can see and experience the obvious wild & instinctive side, the trust and love they show the volunteers in fascinating

The most spiritual morning of my life , educational , overwhelming to spend time in the home of a wolf, allow her to approach , investigate , earn your trust, if they like you, animal lovers, you will be amazed

An absolute must

2  Thank Snorgent
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I went there and I thought we weren't going to be able to touch and go inside the pens with the wolfs but we did it was the best experience the wolfs would play when you would throw a toy and the staff were very kind and good hearted people

2  Thank Itaialingirl1
Reviewed March 9, 2014

It is well worth the drive to this fabulous tranquil space currently located In a surprising neighborhood setting. The people who run this organization and those who volunteer are to be commended for their tireless work!! We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to this special place. We were treated like one of the pack with a personal tour and hands on experience. these are beautiful creatures in the cleanest, most natural habitat I have ever seen which speaks volumes to the care and concern of the owner. I strongly encourage you to visit and support this awesome place.

1  Thank NatureGirl3
See more reviews
Reviewed February 20, 2014

This was the second time I visited Shy Wolf Sanctuary. I was first there several years ago and really was looking forward to this return trip. I find this type of personal encounter to be uplifting and extremely spiritual. When the residents there started howling I had to close my eyes, smile and sigh in deep contentment.

These are such beautiful, albeit misunderstood animals. If you've ever had any curiosity about wolves, love animals and want to experience something really special, make an appointment to come visit. The experience may be free of charge, but after spending a few moments, you will come to realize what it entails to maintain this sanctuary - food, medical expenses, upkeep etc. The volunteer staff go beyond in their love for the animals and are extremely friendly and helpful. Despite the no admission charge, PLEASE donate to this worthy endeavor. Sponsor an animal, buy a shirt, drop bunches of money into their donation jar. It is well worth it and all the residents there I'm sure will howl in appreciation.

2  Thank Mitchell K