“Probably Should Not Have Returned”
Review of Northwest Grille

Northwest Grille
Ranked #13 of 576 Restaurants in Gainesville
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Lake City, Florida
“Probably Should Not Have Returned”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Many years ago, this was one of our favorite dining spots in Gainesville, and we would go out of our way to northwest G'vile to dine at this location. Then, on one visit, my fish was not good and my wife's fish was spoiled! Recently, I was on a solo trip to Gainesville, and I decided to stop by late one afternoon. As I was not hungry enough for my previous favorite, drunken grouper, I decided on just some fried shrimp. I wanted to try the St. Augustine shrimp, but after interviewing the waitress I learned that this dish was not served with the St. Augustine style shrimp sauce. I went with their regular, beer battered fried shrimp. They were totally routine such as can be had almost anywhere. The dark bread that came with the meal was also unremarkable. The salad was OK.
Upon entering the establishment, I was greeted with the smell of sulfur and the disinfectant/deodorant scent used to cover the sulfur odor. I also observed that the Northwest Grille is probably best visited at night as under the brighter light conditions of the afternoon it appeared to be getting fairly run-down. The service was acceptable, although I was initially presented with the wrong check

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank floridatraveler32055

Gainesville, Florida
“Always Good Fish.”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We go here with company for a delicious, reasonable fish dinner. The location is tucked away in an attractive mini-mall. A protected outdoor seating area is available when the weather's nice. We always eat inside at the high-backed booths. Never disappointed!

Visited December 2012
Hobe Sound FL
“Great service and wonderful food!”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

This restaurant is a "must go" every time we are in Gainesville.
Their fish and seafood is always excellent and they have interesting and varied specials. Menu is large and will please the seafood, fish, poultry or steak lover. Excellent and attentive service.

Visited December 2012
Manhattan, Illinois
“I REALLY wanted to love this place...”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Having recently relocated from Seattle, I was drawn to a place called "Northwest"...AND it specializes in seafood! Headed over for a "fish fix," undeterred by the various reviews on TripAdvisor. The decor is fine, retro, with pier posts and glass bobbers. I kinda like the kitsch. Service was friendly and attentive--another plus. It was happy hour when I arrived, so I scored a $4 glass of wine. Feeling pumped, on to the menu. A mini loaf of bread with whipped butter is automatic. The soup special was a pork-green chile, which my server assured me was delicious. She was right! It might have been one of the best soups I ever had. ($5 for a bowl--no cup option is offered) The salad was fine, fresh greens and a nice lemon-feta vinaigrette. ($3.50) For my entree, I chose a "drunken" grouper, lightly fried and topped with red pepper, garlic cloves, and a nice sauce. Very good! ($19) I will say the grouper didn't seem firm, likely was frozen, but it was good. Not amazing, but adequate. With each entree, you get a choice of two sides. I went with a baked sweet potato and the vegetable of the day. Here's where things really start to slide: the sweet potato seemed reheated and the vegetable (zucchini, corn, and red pepper) was soooooo overcooked, it was just mushy. Any chef with integrity would never have let that leave the kitchen. It's this kind of attention to detail that shows what a restaurant is really about. Make no mistake, the place was packed....with retirees and families. I took some soup and fish home--the server gave me the boxes to do myself. I always like when they do it, another sign of good service. Would I go back? Maybe--other reviewers like the shrimp. And prices certainly are reasonable. But, it was no Seattle-fresh experience. Note: Lots of free parking.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Suzy B
Pompano Beach, FL
“I agree with other reviewers, mixed bag”
Reviewed September 6, 2012

My steak was great, my son's petite filet was awful! We had six in our party and comments varied. Seafood pasta was ok. Salad's were very good. Service was efficient as well.

• Visited August 2012