“Near College, Clean, Old Hotel, NO Free Breakfast, Very Expensive” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center

Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tallahassee, Florida
“Near College, Clean, Old Hotel, NO Free Breakfast, Very Expensive”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

The Hotel is conveniently located across the street from the college. I could not find this place for under $100.00 and can’t understand why they charge such a price, considering the situation. At this price, you expect something different. The building is looks like something from the 60’s or early 70’s. The bathroom is tiny causing the door to almost hit anything in the room. There was a dead plant in a pot on the inside hallway and a loud window unit cooling the hallway outside our room. Considering the situation, you would expect a free breakfast, but it’s $8.95 for a 2 eggs and a drink. I like to be positive, so I will say the place was clean and the staff friendly.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank YouCanSayIt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2010

The hospitable from an employee seemed to be very rude and unprofessional.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Uxbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2010

We werek lucky to get a room at this Holiday Inn. We were in Gainsville for my son's graduation from UFL. We had reservations at another hotel, which was not fit for a human. We stopped by the Holiday Inn on the chance that they may have a room. All the hotels in the area had no vacancy. Lucky for us, they had a cancellation. The staff is just wonderful; very polite and eager to give good service. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. Because it was graduation week-end the prices were higher than usual. Normally I would never pay what I paid to stay there. But it was worth every dime I spent and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Centerville, Ut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2010

I spent several nights at this hotel in mid-February 2010. The shuttle driver who picked me up at the airport was both friendly and helpful, and the desk staff checked me in quickly, professionally and pleasantly. (In fact, my face-to-face interactions with desk staff were always fine.) The room was generally okay; a bit worn-out (especially the tub and shower), and not at all quiet due to apparently very thin walls, but comfortable enough. The bed was especially nice, and Holiday Inn seems to have joined the duvet bandwagon, which is a welcome upgrade from the old army-blanket-and-cheap-rayon-bedspread bedding that used to be standard. The HVAC unit under the window was a bit loud, but that's typical for most midrange hotels.

The biggest problem was that the room seemed to have been cleaned very haphazardly. There were ragweed burrs embedded in the carpet from a previous guest (who must have gone hiking in a field somewhere), which I discovered when I walked around the room in stocking feet. I eventually found and removed them myself. I also found that I had been left a half-empty bottle of shampoo, and I noticed that there was a fairly strong urine smell coming from the toilet, leading me to wonder if anyone had really cleaned the bathroom at all. (This smell never completely went away during the course of my three-night stay.)

The worst part, though (and be warned: this is kind of gross) was that I noticed a large chunk of booger smeared on the wall over the trashcan by the window. My guess is that a previous guest did the "farmer's yodel" in the general direction of the trashcan and missed. Apparently the cleaning staff had never noticed it. I really didn't want to clean it up myself, so I called the front desk and asked that it be taken care of the next time my room was serviced. The person who answered the phone said "OK," in a slightly bored tone -- no apology for the disgusting mess, no offer to have it taken care of immediately, no apparent embarrassment. The next day, after the room had been serviced, it was still there.

So overall, I'd say this hotel would be an okay choice if you're traveling alone and really need to be close to the U. Florida campus. Don't bring a romantic partner or kids, though -- and do bring your earplugs, because you'll hear the TVs and every word spoken in the rooms on either side of you.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Rick010
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

stayed for the Fest weekend, awesome clean room, bathroom was great!
only thing was the house cleaning came around wayyyy to early 10am, we were obviously still in bed until midday. hungover and what not.
however GREAT hotel!

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank SophieE3
JenBradley, Sales Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, November 30, 2009
Thank you for staying with us. Fest is a fun time for us, and we're equally glad that you enjoyed your stay, as well. We hope to see you back again next year.
tel aviv
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2009

Pros: 1) The hotel is in a great location. 2) Free shuttle service to various locations in Gainesville, including the airport (pick-up and drop-off) is a real bonus for those with no car. 3) free internet service with two computers and printer in lobby for those without laptop; free wifi service in rooms. 4) Room is of adequate size and bed is comfortable

Cons: 1) The room's cleanliness left much to be desired. I found a plastic cup with coke in it under the bed from the last guest. Also, there was dirt (I think from the crumbling wall above) all over the bathroom counter. 2) Air conditioning in the room came from one of those old box units that you used to put in your window in college. Air conditioning in the hallway also came from a similar unit which happened to be right outside my bedroom -- super noisy!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
nellycat
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2009

Pros:
Clean
Great location if you're visiting the school
Great service
Free drink coupons at the restaurant if you're Priority Club (try the chicken philly, it's fantastic)

Cons:
Old
Musty smelling rooms
Fitness room is barebones

A decent value, and even though it's older, not a bad place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
JenBradley, Sales Manager at Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center, responded to this review, November 4, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. While the property itself is older, we do our best to maintain it and focus on our guests needs. For your next visit, please look into signing up for our Gator VIP Program. Among its several perks, we have partnered with the best gym in town and will provide you with complimentary passes if you prefer to use a full gym during your visit. We are also glad you enjoyed your meal at the restaurant. Upon your next stay, you will notice that some changes will have taken place, as Beef O'Brady's will be replacing our current restuarant later this fall. Again, thank you for sharing your needs with us - taking care of you is our top priority. Please do come and stay with us again soon.