“Dirty, Awful Hotel”

Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center
Ranked #16 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 10, 2008

I checked into the hotel and heard one of the front desk employees give another guest the password to use the internet. When I was finished checking in I asked about getting the password and she informed me that the internet was not working, but someone would be fixing it that afternoon. I was bummed because the last hotel I stayed in did not have internet access either and both trips were because of work, so I need the internet.

I went up to the room and called down a couple hours later and asked about the internet, I was told again that someone was supposed to be fixing it, but for now I could go next door to their restaurant and use the internet for free.

I walked to the restaurant which was nearly closing and I asked if I could get just get something to go... he said sure, so then while waiting for my food I tried to connect to the internet, but not suprisingly, it wasn't working there either. I had two different employees in the restaurant try to get it to work and neither of them could.

So I left the restaurant still not able to use the internet. I returned to the front desk and overheard an employee telling another guest to go next door to use the internet. Two things... one, the restaurant was closing. Shouldn't she know the operating hours? two, the internet didn't work there either. So I turned around and informed her that it was not working. She suggested I go down the road to some place, but 1. I dont have a car and 2. Why the heck wasn't the internet working YET? This was numerous hours after I had checked in. I called down once more that night and they said it still was not working.

The next morning I woke up and the internet was still down. How can a hotel not have this fixed? Aren't a major percentage of hotels customers business travelers? The internet is key for business travelers.

When I called down, they said someone was still planning to come out and fix it. I had to leave the hotel around 8 a.m. and as I was leaving, there looked to be someone peeing on a tree in front of the hotel. I could not believe it. Perhaps he was just adjusting himself, but it didn't look good.

When I returned to the room that night around 6 p.m. the internet was STILL DOWN. I got the same ole line, someone is coming out to fix it. But they said they would have someone call me when it was up and running. I never got a phone call, but apparantly at someone point later that night it started working. I'm annoyed that I never got a phone call, especially after the number of times i inquired about it. They also told my co-workers the same thing, but they never got a phone call. They had issues with the hotel as well, but didn't have time to approach any manager as they were leaving... perhaps they'll leave a posting here as well.

Also, the ceiling in my room was peeling. I took a photo. The room just did not feel clean.... the hotel as a whole felt dirty, including the stained carpets found through out the hotel.

The worst part of my stay was the 4 a.m. ALARM that went off and continued to stay on for at least 30 minutes. It awoke me and I could not fall back asleep. Again, this is a business trip... sleep would be nice.

All in all, my stay was awful. awful. awful.

The front desk employee gave me $25 off my room, but seriously, a lot more should have been offered. I got no sleep, no internet access and a room that had seen better days.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed January 14, 2008

I have stayed at this property in the past and let me say...NICE JOB!!!!!! I have noticed a huge difference besides the renovations that were completed last year. The rooms are much CLEANER, the front desk is alot FRIENDLIER. I do not know what happened at this property but it is working. This hotel has earned back my business.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2007

This hotel was suggested by relatives who live nearby, who unfortunately chose the hotel for proximity and not for cleanliness, safety, or comfort. The furniture was dirty with sticky drink spills on the nightstand and desk. The bathtub was chipped and stained and complete with a black film. It was a non-smoking room that had cigarette stains on the bathroom sink. There were exposed wires from the lamp that was plugged into an overburdened extension cord. The air conditioning unit was loud and ineffective. But the best part was that the entire floor smelled of mildew and feet.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 13, 2007

WOW...i have stayed here in the past, and the experience was always fairly good. However...they have just completely remodeled the hotel and it is gorgeous. the new lobby is beautiful, my new bedroom decor awesome, and the staff top notch.
My kids love the roof top HUGE pool.
location is just part of the reason i will be back

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2007

I stay here on a monthly basis, only because of the location. I must attend the University and the proximity is worth the hassle, but barely. Nobody should ever stay here if they even have a mild concern for their well being. Since I started staying here in August of last year, I have never stayed here when the experience was trouble-free. I have found dirty underwear in the corner of my "clean" room. There is no maintenance person at night, so any problems wait until morning. The elevators barely operate and frequently let you off on the wrong floor or refuse to operate, but they installed "new" panels to try and make them look good. The elevators had expired safety certificates for a while as well. The cleaning crew opens the doors to all the rooms on a floor at once, so any valuables you have are open to anyone walking down the hall. The ceilings in the bathrooms leak due to faulty plumbing and I have never had a room with either a clean shower curtain or a drain which isn't at least partially clogged. They lost their flag a while back and are no longer allowed to use the Holiday Inn logo. They have to cover up the signs outside as well. They used to have a hot breakfast as well, and that has now been reduced to a couple bagels and biscuits. They always forget wake-up calls as well, in fact that happened to me this morning. They are trying to remodel this place over time, but the bare bones behind the paint are falling apart. I am constantly worried about everything from the electrical system to the plumbing to getting locked in the elevator. Ah, that reminds me, last time around the power went out and people were stuck in the elevator because they don't have a generator powering them. I have stayed at 20$ motor lodges which are better than this place. If you have an option, please stay away. You will lead a longer, and more stress-free life, believe me.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank gotzs
Reviewed June 6, 2007

My wife and I frequently stay at this location, since they offer a nice rate for medical center patients. This was probably our 4th visit in the past year, and we have watched this hotel go through massive renovation. The construction apology signs were still up last week, but the work appears to be nearly complete. The lobby is nice and has an attached bar. The olympic sized roof top pool looks great, but we didn't use it. Had great customer service and the room was fine. Continental breakfast was better than most - on the day I actually used it, I noticed sausage on the bar. I was told the new on site cafe would open in June or July. Many restaurants within walking distance. If you're a University of Florida patient, they run a free shuttle service. I can only conclude that the majority of negative comments I've seen came at a time when the construction and maintenance was at its worse. We will have a hard time finding this sort of value for $69 in a hotel that is nearly on campus. We'll definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FloridaFolks
Reviewed November 25, 2006

I stayed here for two nights for the Florida/South Carolina football weekend. The best thing about this hotel is the location. It is pretty much the only hotel in Gainesville that is walkable to the campus and football stadium. Unfortunately, that is the only good aspect. I'll start with the bad, and then highlight the (hopefully good) things that are happening.

The bad: It took three times to get a key that worked for my executive floor room. Back and forth to the temporary front desk. My toilet overflowed twice in two nights. Apparently the entire executive (6th) floor has bad toilets. Holiday Inn refers to such incidents as "code blue" and on Friday night, there were five "code blues" in progress on the 6th floor. Also, the tub drained very very slow. Very slow. Also, one elevator broke over the weekend, causing some delays in waiting for an elevator.

The (relative) good: Rooms were clean. Beds comfortable. Location.

The future: I spoke with the general manager as I was waiting for an elevator. This property does have grand plans for renovation. They hope to add several restaurants, including a pool side bar and ground level full service restaurant. The new lobby/front desk is moments away from being completed and looks quite nice. Unfortunately, he made no mention of a significant rooms renovation other than cosmetic beds/sheets. To me, that does not address the seemingly endless plumbing problems.

Overall, location makes the place tolerable, but by no means a gem.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family