“Shut down!”

Days Inn Gainesville University
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed February 13, 2010

I wish words alone could express my dissatisfaction! Nasty staff and rooms! I checked into this dump on Friday of last week. Saturday morning, I awoke with the worst case of crawling skin. I knew the entire property looked shady but I wanted to be close to my mother who was in Shands hospital. Days Inn should be ashamed to allow a property this bad to carry its brand name. The building looks ashy and the lobby looked like a scene from a horror film. Having booked our reservation online, I had no idea that this place looked this bad! The pool looked scary and that happened to be the immediate view from my room's window. My nostrils were immediately tickled by the smell of mildew upon entering the room. The walls were so thin! I could hear my neighbors whispering! So if You're looking for a full night's rest, forget about it! The shower experience was awful! My water kept changing temperatures! From extremely cold to flesh burning hot! I'm still putting cream on my skin to ease the burn scars. This is ridiculous! Days Inn, please close this dump and spare your name!

1  Thank thetravelerTJ

Reviewed February 11, 2010

Front desk staff was extremely rude and not helpful. My family was placed in a room that was dark, filthy, and VERY outdated! After suffering all evening and half the night from congestion and sneezing, my husband went to the front desk, only to be told that we were in fact in a pet room. The man that checked us in told us specifically that our room was not a pet room. So, at 2:00 a.m. we had to pack our things, wake my 2 year old, and move to another room. On top of all that, we were only given $20 for our "inconvenience." Yes, we still had to pay partially for that night. The next morning, we went to the front lobby for breakfast at 9:35 am only to find the clerk putting the food away. Rather than offering us some of the food, we were told that "breakfast ended at 9:30." What a dump! I would rather sleep in my car than stay at this hotel again. This isn't an isolated incident. My brothers and sisters, who were also on this trip had similar horrifying stories.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelMom1913
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This hotel was okay for the price and if you are doing a short stay. I was there with children, (16, 12, 6). There is a $10 pet fee, per day/pet. Not a new hotel. It is a reburbished/remodeled hotel. We stayed for 6 days but mainly because of price. If you are looking for something very economical and just to have a place to lay your head, it's fine.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed September 2, 2009

The staff went out of their way to make me feel comfortable & welcome! I traveled alone and felt completely safe in this area. The building was nice & clean....yet old & unique. My room was quiet comfortable and cozy. I slept well and the room was well sound proofed.... Never was I disturbed by any noises of traffic or other guest.
The room was well stocked with what I needed and for such a great price, I was quite suprised!
I enjoyed my stay and will definantely pick this hotel again when I travel through Gainesville again.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Tally1976
Reviewed August 24, 2009

I chose Days Inn because I have stayed in other Days Inn and was satisfied with the service but this hotel in Gainesville, I do not know who the management is but the place was awful, the room was musty, the linen on the bed was worn out, no fitted sheet, the mattress was stained, the coffee pot in the bathroom was dusty, the place to hang your clothes was broken, the telephone looks as if it wasn't cleaned in forever, the place has great potential because the architecture of the hotel is fantastic if the management would fix it up, there were a lot of empty rooms, the pool was out of service, our room was not cleaned until like 3pm, there was one young lady and a young man apparently cleaning all the rooms, saw the same young man at the front desk, uniform did not look clean, the lobby was not inviting, that should have given me my first clue, would not recommend this hotel to anyone, it is unfortunate because my daughter is at UF and they would have gotten my business and others for the next 4-5 years.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled on business
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed August 5, 2009

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed July 26, 2009

This hotel is a joke. Everything looks so old except the the sign out front. While walking up to the hotel we noticed that the upper rooms to the lobby were all vacant, you can see the filth on the curtains and an old rocking chair in the window. All the rooms are located in two different buildings outside. From the picture it looked like they were inside.The lobby looks dingy and outdated, with brown tiles and green walls. The breakfast area looks like a kid attempted to put it together. The lobby bathrooms were discusting. Some of the hotel staff were very friendly while others were just nasty and rude. The gentleman that checked us in late at night was very nice but the other gentleman in the morning was just rude and on his cell phone sitting right behind the desk, not even attempting to hide the fact he was on his phone. Later that day he was sitting in the lobby in the chairs chatting with his friends ignoring guests that walked in like us. The room we stayed in was nasty, dont take your shoes off the carpet is very gross. The chair had an oily feeling to it. The bathrooom looked like it wasn't cleaned properly, I honestly didn't even want take a shower there. The beds were actually comfortable but I recommend bringing your own blanket the one on the bed just smelled funny as if it had not been washed. On the plus side there was a micro and fridge in our room. The location was very close to the hospitals and University but late at night there are lots of people walking the streets which make me feel a little uneasy. We would have never stayed here if we were allowed to cancel our reservations. And the pool is out of order....IN JULY!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple