“Spend a little more for better sleep.”

Super 8 Gainesville
Ranked #22 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
New Orleans
“Spend a little more for better sleep.”
Reviewed November 28, 2010

We stayed for one night, on our way from Louisiana to Orlando - a stop along the way to rest before a long drive. We had a very open mind, considering what we paid for the room, but maybe our expectations were too high after reading so many great reviews...

The pros:
The breakfast was really quite nice. There was a do-it-yourself waffle iron, with a machine that dispensed batter, and a timer to let you know when the waffle was done.

The cons:
The phone didn't work, so the man at the front desk replaced it with another one, which didn't work. No big deal, we had our cell phones, but couldn't place a wake-up call as a back-up plan. The smell of mold in the room was very strong. There was a silverfish in the shower. The AC was hard to regulate, and we froze all night, so didn't really sleep well.

If you're looking for an inexpensive room, this is what you'll get. I would suggest spending a little more money if you'd like a better night's sleep and a nicer environment.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank NewOrleansSusan65
super8gainesville, Owner at Super 8 Gainesville, responded to this review, January 24, 2011
I apologize that you were not satisfied with your stay. We thank you for your response and have diligently worked on the issues you have notified us about.

This is what we have done to resolve the issues:
We called Middletown Pest Control/Massey's to treat the silverfish.
We have ordered new in room phones to resolve the problems. The employees have been coached about resolving guest issues with follow up to make sure the problem is resolved.
Regarding the musty odor, we have treated the rooms with a special enzyme solution that dimisheshes the source of the odor, rather than just a cover up.

We take pride in our service and product. We at Super 8, were disappointed to know that you were less than satisfied with your stay. Please contact us directly for an atonement option on your next stay with your previous confirmation number from your November 2010 stay.

We hope you give us a second chance and we can show you the improvements we have made.

Thank You.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Fort Myers Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2010

This is the absolute worse place to stay in Gaineville. 1) Unfortunately we had a 1 floor unit. Upon entering our room we were comfronted with a nasty MOLD smell which was attempted to be covered up by anemonia. Absolutely toxic. The hotel and every hotel around the property was booked so we were stuck in this room for the weekend - thank goodness we did not spend any time here except to sleep. 2) When our group checked out and we got our bills they were all different. The rate online was significantly higher than the rates of the individuals that called the hotel directly. IF YOU STAY HERE ALL THE HOTEL DIRECTLY FOR THE CHEAPEST RATE!!! Super 8 corporate will not adjust your bill to ge the lowest rate. For this reason I will never stay at a Wyndam Hotel Property ever again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank bayflash
super8gainesville, Owner at Super 8 Gainesville, responded to this review, October 13, 2010
I am sorry that you had such a negative experience. Thank you for notifying us about the issues you had in the room. We have taken immediate action to research to fix the problems that we may have. We take customer service very seriously and take pride in knowing we offer a good product.

I see how you could have been fustrated about your rate issues. At the time of your booking, you agreed to a certain room type at a set rate that could not be changed. Other rooms booked, does not reflect your rate unless you had a group booking at a contracted price. All rates are based on room type and availability. We hope you were happy with the rate that you agreed upon when you booked your reservation and the room type you chose.

Thank you for your stay.
Florida
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We travel to Gainesville regularly but this was our first time at the Super 8. We found the staff friendly and helpful, the rooms clean and comfortable and the grounds well maintained. The AC was great and was the type that didn't cycle on and off so no waking up thoughout the night. Rooms were equipped with Microwave, refrigerator, coffee pot, iron and ironing board. Not a luxury hotel but a great value for the price and one that we'll come back to. PS Despite other complaints about the breakfast, we found it hit the spot and for the money saved we can buy our own fruit!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
western PA
Reviewed August 21, 2010

We went to Gainesville for the purpose of finding an apartment for my graduate student son to live in, so this was our "home away from home" for a while. Everything was very clean in our room, and we never smelled any smoke or heard noises from other rooms. The air system was new-ish and was the kind that stayed on constantly (rather than come on, turn off, come on, turn off), so we had uninterrupted sleep. It also cooled the room VERY quickly, which was a relief!

Most of the staff we interacted with was very friendly and helpful, both before our stay and during our stay. There was one young guy who was a real jerk when we checked in late at night who could NOT take his eyes off the lobby TV long enough to present himself as a person with a brain, but otherwise we were pleased with the staff.

Water pressure with the showers was great.

Loved the fact that we had a micro and refrig in our room.

One thing we didn't complain about that maybe we should have: one night, 2 large trucks parked sideways in the parking lot, under the lights. This caused US to park in the dark, and our car was completely full of my son's stuff for him to move to Gainesville. Management was probably not aware of it, as the lobby has NO view into the parking lots at all.

Breakfast was disappointing (but not unexpected) for me, as I cannot eat wheat. I had to completely provide for myself there--no fruit, no orange juice.

This motel was situated right off I-75, and was immediately across from tons of shopping, restaurants, groceries, etc. It was a perfect location for us. We will stay here when we go to visit our son!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2010

Went to Gainesville to check out the university - and parents had made reservation at the Super 8. Was really surprised. The place was nice, clean, and reasonably priced. It was really busy, but the place was clean, good breakfast, and cookies at night. The people at the front desk were nice and even let us hang around the pool & play football. My parents even had a room too and they loved it, probably more for the price, but that's okay. Let us check out late without question. If you're going to Gainesville - this is the place to stay. Not far from the University and tons of places to eat and hang out. All around - great place!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Super 8s Motels are consistent enough so that when little things go wrong, it’s very noticeable and irritating.

Part one: CHECK-IN. We had reserved a Queen non-smoking room with a credit card on the road earlier in the day.
1. On the counter: a snarky sign about pets that established an adversarial relationship between staff and guest (picture).
2. After a few clicks of the keyboard, the clerk said, “OK, you have a couple of options: we have a smoking room at your rate or a non-smoking room with upgrades, for $6 more.” After I objected, she said, “OK – you have a non-smoking 2-double-bed room on the third floor for your original rate.” No elevator, by the way. Thinking that this was the “upgraded” room, I agreed.
3. We parked near the back, where she told us our room was. We got to the back exterior door, slid our keycard in, and nothing. We looked at a sign - “for your safety, we lock all doors other than the lobby after 10pm.” We schlepped our bags through the parking lot to the front, then up three flights to our room.
4. As we walked through the corridor, back to the rear of the hotel (closest to the loud Interstate), we noticed that each room had a “SMOKING” or “NON-SMOKING” sign on it. Quite often, smoking and non-smoking rooms were immediately adjacent to one another. This moronic decision meant that there was little chance that any non-smoking room would actually be smoke free (picture).
5. We finally got to our room and found – well, no sign on the door. Like it had been ripped off. Upon entering the room, there was a distinct smoky odor (though no ashtrays), and certainly no upgrades (no micro-fridge, for example).

Part two: THE MORNING.
6. In the morning, I walked down to the “Super Start!” breakfast. Here we were in Florida in December. You might have expected at least one piece of fresh fruit, but unless you call Froot Loops fruit, no.
7. Upon check out, I found a young man behind the desk chatting on the phone. After I stood there for a few moments, and after another guest came in to check out, our “host” finally asked the caller to hold, put the phone on his shoulder, and asked brusquely, “do you guys want a copy of your receipt?” We both said yes, and he printed the receipts and slid them over to us, together.
8. Item: SAFE WARRANTY, $1.50. As I expected, there is a hidden fee for the use of a safe that we didn’t ask for or use. After I asked for it to be removed, the clerk gave me a hard time, saying that I agreed to pay it when I signed in, he did remove it. I asked to see the registration, and this charge is shadily included as a part of the “tax,” though the fine print does indicate that the “hotel charges” included a safe charge, which I could ask to have it removed upon check-out, so I did, and it was. The clerk’s last word to me was this nasty piece of advice – about his own business! – “you know, you should always read the fine print before you sign anything.”

After that, even crazy I-75 seemed hospitable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank cartorob
travelinmomof4, Manager at Super 8 Gainesville, responded to this review, January 3, 2010
This guest made a reservation thru Super 8 Central Resevation rather than call the hotel directly on 12/29 @ 5:29pm with a guarenteed late arrival for a non-smoking handicap queen. This guest is not visibly handicapped. Guest arrived on property at 12:20 am on 12/31. At the time of reservation CRS had put us into an overbooking for that room type. The guest was left a home # rather than a cell & was unable to get a hold of. At the time of check in we did not have a non smoking room available on the ground floor. The guest however was asked if he would like an upgrade - he declined.
On the same day that this guest made his reservation another reservation which was made on 12/16 was due to arrival - guest in town through the local VA Hospital was in a wheelchair. The other guest was a walk in whom arrived on property before said guest even made his reservation, she was an elderly guest who arrived on property at 5:07 pm need a handicap bathroom and was unable to manage steps.
At the time of said guests check in - he was explained all of this and was quite upset - the circumstances were out of everyones control - when he checked in he signed a registration card which says on it : a safe fee of 1.50 will be charged but it can be removed at check out - by guest signing they are acknowleding the fact that not only they read it but understood. The safe fee was removed at check out. Guest made quite a disturbance at check out which we in turn have filed a case with Wyndham in reference to this guest. We would be glad to send over case notes and log book details involving this guests stay along with receipt showing the additional fee was taken off but also the registration card he signed. We are terribly sorry that we had an unhappy guest but we also went out of our way to try and help the guest but he declined.
Indian Head, Maryland
Reviewed December 19, 2009

I stayed here for an unforeseen trip (funeral) and was very pleased. On business trips to Gainesville, I stay at the Cabot Lodge across the street (another fine hotel). My budget was tighter and for almost half the price of the Cabot (which is STILL considered cheap), the Super 8 was almost as good! Keep the price reasonable and I will stay here again! Location is excellent, and I could do my running (speed sprints) up and down the cul-de-sac street that this hotel shares with a few others.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo