“I smell smoke”

Ranked #23 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“I smell smoke”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I know it was only a super 8 so what can I expect......right ? The hotel is located just off the highway (very convenient) and is close to a Miriad of restaurants. You can find ANYTHING you could want to eat and be back at your hotel in ten minutes. The lobby is tiny and the front desk was basically in the breakfast area. The woman at the desk was very nice but needs a vacation desperately. She seemed to ALWAYS be there. I got my room on the third floor and carried my things up the 3 flights to my room (no elevator). The first thing I noticed, because I had no choice was the overwhelming stench of stale cigarette smoke. The hotel is layed out with smoking and non smoking rooms next to each other (why would you do that ? The room was clean, but there was a problem the toilet did not work. Back down three flights. I told the front desk that I was going to need a new room. As it turned out the handyman was right there and went up and fixed the toilet. The pool looked clean and well maintained. My biggest pet peave is no wake up call or even worse......leaving a wake up call and NEVER GETTING IT !!! The last day I was there I left a 6:30 am wake up call and fortunately woke on my own at 6:00 am because the call never came.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
super8gainesville, Manager at Super 8 Gainesville, responded to this review, December 28, 2013
Im glad to see that overall you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. I will speak with the staff in regards to your concerns. I hope you will stay with us again on your next visit to Gainesville.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Venice, Florida
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Clean-clean- clean. Those were the first words my wife said upon entering our room. That makes my stay enjoyable. Sure you can hear the elephant upstairs and the ice machine outside the door but for a quick one night stay the price & place was right.Friendly staff & good coffee in the AM.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Next time please book your reservation through the hotel directly so we can be sure to accomodate any requests you have. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Gainesville.
Covington, Georgia
Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stopped here for the night. Staff was courteous. NO ELEVATOR!!!! Had to climb 3 flights of stairs with luggage! The room's a/c had not been turned on; so room was very stuffy and hot. Room had odor. 15 year old son said that the TV was "19th century" and needed to be updated. Hotel was ok for the money and an ok place to stay for the night. Very convenient to I75.

Room Tip: Ask for room on 1st floor unless you can climb stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
super8gainesville, Owner at Super 8 Gainesville, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Its always nice to hear that you were welcomed pleasantly and your enjoyed your stay. We are always happy to get feedback from our guest. See you on your next visit.
San Antonio
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The staff, room, and breakfast were all fine. But there were some noisy kids (female athletes) who ran and screamed in the 3rd floor hall for over two hours Friday night, and again Saturday night. They had no supervision (no adult chaperones), and no staff intervened. I did not complain.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

I am sorry that you experienced that from another guests. We try our best to get the guests to be respectful of others but sometimes it can be challenging. We will work on trying a better process to work with disorderly guests to ensure you do not experience that on your next stay. Thanks for the feedback, and come back and see us to see the improvements.