“great stay”

La Quinta Inn Gainesville
Ranked #16 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Baton Rouge, USA
Reviewed December 2, 2013

The price was good and the room was better than average, but the real pleasure came from dealing with the desk staff and the manager. They helped me resolve a mistake in my reservation that made for a happy holiday.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed December 2, 2013

I won't make this terribly long, but I had to report on my stay here back on 11/27/2013. I was looking for a relatively cheap hotel in Gainesville as a stopover on a drive from Atlanta to Miami. La Quinta has been a pretty good chain hotel for me and the reviews on this hotel looked pretty good so I booked it. But alas, our stay did not bear out those decent reviews. My first inkling was when I pulled in and they told me how to drive around to get to the room. I asked if I could just go through the lobby. Nope - outside access.

Ok, I've stayed at a La Quinta with outside access before and it wasn't SO bad. But when I walked into the room (209) I was immediately hit with a powerful odor of mold. I'm pretty convinced it was from the carpet which badly needs replacing. That smell was just awful. To their credit, OTHER than that, the room was quite clean - none of the "bugs, hair in the bathroom" complaints. The housekeepers obviously did the best with what they had to work with.

Next problem - well, you've probably heard about the proverbial paper-thin walls. I don't think the problem was with the walls here though - it was with the window/door. On a couple occasions during the night and early morning people would walk by talking. Not loud, just at normal level. It sounded like they were right beside my bed! I swear I could have whispered back to them and they'd have heard me!

I don't THINK I'm being hypersensitive, but it was just weird how clearly they were heard! Of course they woke me and my wife.

In my opinion, this hotel was not only NOT better than any Super 8 - type motel, it was worse for more $. It has not only damaged my opinion of La Quinta, but really it's damaged my opinion of the reviews here. I never thought this was some 4 star hotel, but really it's far below any La Quinta I've ever stayed at.

However, to be fair this was one person's experience in one room. In a room without that moldy smell, and perhaps where there simply weren't any people talking just outside my room, I'd not have had nearly the negative opinion that this one night caused. Still, my reviews are just that - MY experience, and I won't be staying here again. There's far too many alternatives to risk it again.

Room Tip: I would assume up higher would help with the sound issue. But all I can really say is - don't s...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Gainesville hotels

Florida, New York
Reviewed November 26, 2013

After a rough start, given a top floor room did it.
Clean, nice staff, good place for pets.
There is a small pond/grassy area, across the street where you can walk your best friend.
Good size swimming pool, bring your suit.

Location is great, close to 175, hidden behind a road across from the Main Oak Mall and Perkins. A challenge to walk due to traffic but possible.

There's a fancy chinese restaurant across the street, many more down the main drag, very close.

Just know that during Univ of Florida Game day, it will get jammed nearby. However, you have options to go around, keep your GPS handy and you will be ok.

Room Tip: Choose top floor, refrig is extra$10
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
new haven michigan
Reviewed November 16, 2013

I liked this motel.We were smokers, and place was clean and nice,but being on top floor is a pain.Kept getting lost.Beds were clean and comfortable,nice TV.Bathroom was clean.Clerks were friendly.Parking had good access.Nice pool.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 13, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was a little hesitant on what to expect from La Quinta. This hotel went above my expectations.
First, the staff is exceptional - they were amazing with the information they gave us, to the welcome we received at 1.30am, to the extra towels that were left in a bag at our door - thank you!
Second, the bed - we had a King beg in room 239 - it was very very comfortable - slept amazing.
Yes, the hotel rooms can use a little update - but I am not staying at the Ritz either. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and the staff was amazing.
This hotel is pet friendly, so that is a plus to pet owners. There was a slight smell when we walked into the room - but this smell is something I found all over Gainesville - I don't know how to explain it. But the smell went away when we turned on the AC.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple