“Visit with Josh”

A La Quinta traveler
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed August 18, 2013

How can you start with a total wreck. Let's just say housekeeping needs to be improved. Maybe the staff is overworked or understaffed. Lots of mold in the bathroom along with numerous hairs of different sizes and colors. Unidentified material on the rug in the corners of the room. Undersized sheets with balled up mattress pad partially under the sheet and hanging over the side. Now the small stuff, tv goes out completely if the weather is bad anywhere in Gainesville. The WiFi needs to be rebooted almost every half hour, luckily you can do the from your room and good luck finding a seat at breakfast. I have stayed at a few La Quinta's with nice rooms but this one needs to change their name.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel would be better
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank EarlyBirder
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We were just up in Gainesville to help move our college daughter into her apartment. We have not stayed at a LaQuinta inn before and certainly do not plan to in the future after this stay. After getting to our room, we actually questioned even spending the night there, but it was after 11pm. and we just had no other choice. The room was very old and dirty looking. Sheets on the beds were stained, and we were just hoping that they had indeed been cleaned and changed. Shower tiles were stained, moldy and cracked. The carpet was dirty. Bathroom towels were as thin as a cheap washcloth. The bathroom door did not shut. The door inside the room did not lock and the hotel has exterior facing corridors. On the only positive note, at least the bed was comfortable, and when we woke up we could leave! While in Gainesville, I would definitely book only a Hilton brand or B&B in the future, as we have never had a problem with these. Should this option not be available, we would not make the trip! I absolutely do not recommend this place.

Room Tip: I think I am safe in assuming there are no good rooms at this place!!
1  Thank ga2rgirl65
Reviewed August 15, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I was in Gainesville for a relative's graduation from UF. I chose this hotel because of some good reviews on Trip Advisor. I don't know where they stayed, but this motel does not deserve a high rating in any category.

When I arrived they said I did not have a room because I was scheduled to arrive a day earlier, and the front desk lady informed me that they were sold out. Yes, originally I was booked for the day before but I had called 4 days prior and changed the dates. Luckily I still had the call on my phone so could show them the day and time of the call. They found me a room.

I get to the room and the stench was so bad I could not stay there. It was a moldy/musty smell. I called the desk and they did move me.

Room 2: Holes in the sheets, stains in the bath tub, and no internet. I bypassed the front desk because they sounded upset with me for changing rooms. So I called the tech # on the card on the desk. I did get connected finally.

I am on day 3 of my stay and am glad to leave this place. High-speed internet? No way. It is so slow that I could not get my work done because it took too long for pages to load. The place is very worn (globs of caulk on the tub, shower curtain smells moldy, etc.). Noisy--you can hear everything in rooms next to you.

Service: terrible. Slow and sometimes did not respond at all. Family I was traveling with had asked for a "Do not disturb" sign to put in their door as they had a dog. The front desk said they would come to the room and put it in. When we returned hours later--no sign.

I will never stay at this La Quinta again and may even avoid all La Quintas if this is what I get.

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Let me start by saying I was redeeming a Free Night, plus staying an additional night at LQ, after being a repeat guest at various LQ locations over time. I had earned a free night - finally. I drove almost 9 hours to get to Gainesville, after several stops for rest areas and food. Upon arrival, and a warm greeting, I was placed in a room by the elevator! I told the lady, Jennifer, I could not stay by the elevator as I am a VERY light sleeper. She agreed that would not be the ideal location due to the noise level, and instead placed me in a room at the back of the hotel! WOW - thank you LQ for treating repeat guests this way. Now I will definitely consider my loyalty to your hotel chain / brand.

Arriving in the room, we were greeted with such a stench, we literally had to step out for several minutes. I knew beforehand that this location is pet-friendly, but they DO NOT do a great job with housekeeping. The carpet was stained, dirty and strewn with pet hair. I did not call the front desk because I was already told that I had two options - room in the back or room by the elevator! I had asked at check-in for a room on the top floor. I figured that any other room would smell the same since this LQ does not have specific rooms for guests with pets, but they place them all over the hotel. We had to go out and purchase a Pet Odor Neutralizer and Odor Absorbing Gel to combat the stench. The freezer was frozen over and caked with ice, and we had to clean the fridge and microwave since they appeared to not have been cleaned since the last guest.

The bath area was not clean - probably well stained. Ice container cover was so dirty, we decided against using ice from the hotel for three days! I left a note for housekeeping begging them to vacuum the carpet thoroughly, as I cannot live with pet hair in my face. If you are a pet owner / lover, this might be your ideal hotel. If you love pets but not enough to live with them in your house, this is NOT the hotel for you to stay in Gainesville.

Pool was clear and inviting, but the tables are dirty and falling apart. There are lots of chairs around the deck area. The furniture in room 247 was so OLD, the base of the drawer unit was totally falling apart. Toilet was dirty - stained. It appears no effort was made to clean the room prior to our checking in.

Breakfast area is clean and was kept stocked. Meal is minimal - two types of cereal, bread, bagels, orange, banana, and fruit juices. Usual coffee and tea available. Cold boiled eggs. Cream cheese, butter, peanut butter and jelly. Waffles.

Location is ideal for shopping and dining. Ideal also for a visit to UF for the college tour. Really close to I-75.

If you do not have to do LQ in Gainesville, go elsewhere. There are tons of other hotels around, hopefully cleaner and better smelling, that you may patronize. I think they take it for granted that they are ideally located to UF and the I-75, so guest comfort and hotel upkeep are of minimal or no concern.

At check-out, the lady at the reception asked about my stay, but did not appear interested or concerned as I mentioned the flaws.

Older type motel, lots of paint peeling from wall, stains on walls and curtains.

Room Tip: Rooms are all used by travelers with pets. Stay away if you cannot live with pets, pet hair.