“Clean, friendly, and cheap”

La Quinta Inn Gainesville
Ranked #17 of 46 Hotels in Gainesville
Reviewed November 18, 2007

The LQ gainesville is not the newest looking LQ but it was clean, quiet, and affordable (last minute rate of $59). The front desk woman had a smile on her face and was very friendly and helpful during checkin. I was on the 3rd floor which was a standard two double bed room. No fridge or microwave was included but the bedding, bath, and carpets were all clean. All rooms face the outside. Overall I give the LQ Gainesville 4/5 stars for friendly and cleanliness. Only reason I did not give it 5/5 was due to it being an older facility with rooms facing the outside. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank nygator79
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn Gainesville

Reviewed August 24, 2007

Stayed here while when we brought our daughter for college check in weekend. Our non-smoking room smelled awful - moldy and something else. Internet service did not work in our room or in the lobby. It was a sold out weekend, and when we asked for a few additional pillows we were told there were none.

Mattresses are so cheap and uncomfortable, sagging and no mattress covers. Bedding was similar, cheap, scratchy and thin.

Complimentary breakfast was fair/poor quality- not enough seating, either. This is my second time staying in Gainesville this summer, first time at La Quinta. The feeling I am getting is that hotels in this town know they have a steady flow of new customers with families of the students coming and there are limited options. In other words - we as consumers are stuck. We stayed at The Paramount Plaza "Resort" which was terrible on our first stay, and next weekend we are staying at the Holiday Inn on University, so I will report on it next.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank FreethinkingOne
Reviewed July 3, 2007

Have stayed at a lot of La Quintas over the years and this would rate toward the bottom of the pack. Run down, not very friendly or efficient service and not worth the money. The one good thing was the a/c. The thermostat was broken, so either it was on full all the time or you had to turn it off completely. As I love it cold and my better half doesn't, I got my ice cold room without any complaints (except to the hotel staff) for a change. Sometimes bad can be good!

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed March 12, 2007

I stayed for the same soccer event as the last person that rated but we did not stay as a team. We stayed in a 2 bed standard bedroom on the second floor in the even numbers near the front. Immediately within entering the room we could see the carpeting was filthy, someone had thrown their disposable earplugs in the air conditioning and the bathroom.....

This place was filthy. I had to immediately contact the front desk to have someone clean the toilet and the floor. It was covered with hair. The head of housekeeping, Jennifer came up with a spray bottle and one towel. She preceded to clean the toilet with the towel then wipe our floors with the same towel. We never took our shoes off the entire weekend. Jennifer said that Detrisha, the housekeeper would be written up and I hope she was. The next day she did not vacumn and we found my sons missing shorts and socks in the made up bed. We had put out the little sign asking for fresh sheets!!! Obviously that didn't happen.

I asked for a different room but the were booked for the weekend.

We choose not to stay with our team at Newberry Inn or Holiday Inn again because of the problems I mentioned in my last review. I would rather have had the clean bathroom at the Newberry.

I filed out a complaint card, made my disappointment known at the front desk and yesterday contacted La Quinta directly. I have not heard back yet.

Sundays breakfast situation was implorable. Filthy tables, lack of food. Spring break or not, La Quinta needs to have a plan to take care of their customers. They need a plan for busy times and sick or missing employees. Customer care comes first.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Becky F
Reviewed March 10, 2007

This was our second visit in the past two weeks to Gainesville and our group of soccer players and their families stayed at the LaQuinta this time. After our visit to the Holiday Inn on Newberry, this seemed like heaven.

The LaQuinta is definitely nothing fancy but we were very pleased to enjoy comfortable beds and clean, fresh smelling rooms. The walls appeared to have been freshly painted. There were some things that need updated or refreshed (i.e. pool furniture, room furniture) but not to the point of looking bad. One note...a non-smoking suite was mistakenly issued to one of our teammate's parents (who requested a regular double) but it didn't smell "non-smoking". They were quickly switched to a regular double which smelled great.

I think the minor problems we experienced (confusion for some of the team on check-in, lack of food at the breakfast) were due to short staff problems this particular weekend. The front desk clerk explained that she was without 2 workers due to illness and vacation (Univ. of FL spring break). She was very friendly and capable and worked very hard to help everyone as quickly as possible. The housekeeping staff even came in to help her out with the breakfast area when they were barraged with hoards of hungry soccer players. It's difficult to get upset when you see hotel workers hustling to get the job done!

Overall, we were very pleased with our stay for these reasons: clean, comfortable rooms, warm pool, free breakfast, and great rates. Some things future travelers considering this hotel might want to consider:

- Pillows are flat...bring your own or double up.
- Breakfast can be busy on weekends and seating is limited. Be patient!
- This hotel is located right near the mall...and a good mall at that!
- All rooms face the outside.
- And...for those of you who might be "challenged" sometimes like I can be... the privacy drape really IS there but it is hidden to the right side of the window and pulls all the way across to the left. I was NOT the only one in our group who took a while to figure that out!!!

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed February 10, 2007

I booked this stay on [-] for a rate of $64.52 including tax and fees. It was suppose to be a 2.5 star hotel, however even on hotwire’s site it is listed as a 2 star hotel. Not expecting a difference in the star levels I continued with my stay.
When I arrived at the hotel I was disappointed that this hotel had all exterior rooms. I prefer the security of a hotel with interior rooms, but for the price of the stay I decided to deal with it.
Check in was quick and easy and the clerk was warm and friendly.
When we opened the door to our room we were overwhelmed by a smell that smelled like a combination of urine and industrial cleaner. Even when we left our room we could smell the stench on our clothes. While in the room we started feeling sick from the odor.
The beds were unbelievable small. They were bigger then a twin bed, but smaller then a full size bed. It was big enough for one person however, not big enough for two average size people to sleep comfortably. When we laid down on the beds we felt the middle of the bed sink in and the springs poking us. When we rested our heads on the pillows they flattened down to about ½ an inch. Needless to say we did not receive a good night’s sleep. Although the sheets and the blanket were clean with no stains or hairs they were scratchy.
The bathroom was clean, but I found a few stray hairs and the bottom of the tub was stained. The towels were also scratchy and appeared overly used.
I never bothered returning to the front desk clerk to say anything because the stay was booked on hotwire and I knew I couldn’t cancel the reservation.
At check out the clerk asked me how everything was and I told them about the stench of the room and the bad beds. The clerk told me that the stench was the ammonia they use to clean the floors and that they know their beds are springy, but they will be getting new beds probably at the end of the month. The clerk informed me that if I had said something at check in that they could have moved me to another room. However, what good would have saying anything have done? I would have gotten moved to another room with a bad bed.
Maybe I shouldn’t expect much for the price, but I would have gladly paid more for a comfortable room that I didn’t feel sick in and that had a bed that I could actually sleep in. The hotel was well aware of the poor quality of their beds and sold their rooms anyways. I use to work in a hotel and we NEVER used strong chemicals to clean our rooms or purposely allowed our guest to stay in a room that could make them sick. Even though we booked through a third party website we should not have been subjected to these conditions.
In the future I will definitely pay more to stay somewhere that is comfortable. Just because a hotel has a low rate that does not mean it will be a bargain.

Stayed: February 2007
2  Thank lakecity211
Reviewed April 22, 2006

I stayed here for ten days during a surgical procedure for a relative. The proximity to North Florida Regional Medical Center is outstanding - and easy walk or a very short drive without traffic down a side road. Also walking distance are restaurants, a huge mall, and a serviceable health club.

The property is well maintained, quiet and secure, more than what you expect for $71.00 per night. The service staff is polite and the pool is very pleasant although it can become crowded with noisy kids. Breakfast is free but unless you like waffles or cereal you are out of luck. I personally only eat cereal and fruit so I found it fine. There is no fitness room on site, but you can use a fitness center for free that is about 1/4 mile away. There are no washer and dryer on site and I found this to be a drawback.

You can open your window and leave it open if you feel safe -- I did. There is virtually no road noise in the rooms.

This is a good hotel to stay in if you need to be near the hospital or as a stop along I-75. There is also free high speed internet, wireless as well as ethernet.

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business