“disrespectful staff that doesn't care about it's guests”

Hampton Inn Gainesville
Ranked #8 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
Plant City, Florida
“disrespectful staff that doesn't care about it's guests”
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I live about 2.5 hours south of Gainesville, Fl. We were having a family get together and a LARGE number of us booked rooms about 2 weeks in advanced. We of course called to check to make sure there were baby bed ( since most of us have little ones ) and also to make sure they could accommodate a large group ( making sure there were no special events in the area and ect ).
We have 17 month old twins and also one on the way... basically we have a ton of stuff when we travel. Upon checking in, when we asked for the baby beds... we were told " we don't have any". Of course we were stunned and told the front desk worker " that we requested beds as well as many of our group. The clerk ( if thats what you call it ) said " well, you can either go to a different hotel or go buy some somewhere".
Yes, thats really what we were told.
If my entire family ( about 30 of us ) had not been staying here, I would have left... but what was I going to do, you know?
We check in and yes, the rooms were nice. Beds were kind of hard ( for my liking ). Shower head leaked to the point where it wet the entire floor and the a/c in the room worked fine, however the rest of the hotel was rather warm.
We called the manager about the baby beds and the rudeness of the employee. She said " oh, yes, she called me to tell me you might be calling". Really? So, the front desk clerk KNEW she was rude and warned you!? Classy.
We never got baby beds nor were we even offered a discount.. even though we had to go purchase our own beds at target. REALLY.
Upon checkout... we were asked "how was our stay". Granted, by this time it was a different worker. We told her and the said, "wow, that SUCKS".
We left a comment card, however I doubt it made to anyone who would give two cents or do anything about it.
I think the only satisfaction this Hampton Inn cares about is getting paid for doing nothing right.

Room Tip: do not stay here
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank afdcan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed April 9, 2011

We stayed at this Hampton Inn to visit family in Gainesville. We weren't impressed by this hotel. It was in a good location (close to the University of Florida and I-75), we stayed during a weekend when there were a lot of college teams visitng UF for different sports. When we checked in, the lobby was loud (at 10PM at night) with lots of college students prepping for the weekend. There were also lots of roaming around at 2 or 3 AM. I have a feeling this happens a lot during the year. When there are lots of events happening at UF and the hotels book up, the price for this and other hotels also get really expensive, so it wasn't great value either. The room was a 2 Queen bed room with a 32" flat screen TV. The hotel overall looked older and in needed of a refurbishment. The breakfast rooms fills up really fast as well. With 5 family members, it was hard to find seats unless you were one of the last people eating.

Room Tip: Try to stay when there aren't many UF events.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Fayetteville, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 22, 2011

Very quiet, very clean, very friendly staff. Glad I stayed here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank beans40
VALDOSTA
Reviewed January 20, 2011

Looks lke this place was recently-renovated. The amenities that go with the rooms appear to be brand-spanking-new. And even though the hotel is just off I-75, it's tucked away back into the woods enough that you are not bothered by trucker horns or other forms of highway noise.

The staff was friendly, and breakfast was the usual Hamtpon Inn spread. Only negative that I'd report would be there are no guest/coin-operated laundry machines. You'll have to get that done another stop along the way.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangor County Down
Reviewed October 25, 2010

First ever stay in a Hampton Inn and did not really know what to expect. First class rooms with quality bed and free wi-fi which worked like a dream. Small but ok gym which was not well used. Breakfast was fine although surprised at the cardboard plates and plastic cutlery. The absence of a bar and restaurant I understand goes with the brand. Location is excellent for restaurants in vicinity.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 24, 2010

My family stayed here on June 17, 2010. We chose this because it was close to the interstate and had a pool for the kids. Nice, clean and cheap! Yummy warm cookies at 7pm. Great breakfast as well! Only complaint- door from pool was difficult to open. Needs to be fixed! Would stay again!!

• Stayed October 2010
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2010

The hotel itself is wonderful and the staff is friendly and the breakfast soooo good.. But the hard lesson learned on Friday night was that the hotel has exterior accessible rooms. My need is as a result of surgery. But I also pick Hilton brands for their interior corridors and that spells safety for me.
But I did not know room was an exterior room till I got there. That was not in the WEB descripton. Unfortunately I arrived after cancellation time and the clerk had one other room available a king for $10 more. She was unable to adjust the rate to my original one.. I just wanted a place to sleep. She said they would be closing in those rooms next year. But it could have been any hotel or motel...so I suggest if you need the accessible room find out where it is in the hotel before you book.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo