“Mostly a trouble-free stay.”

Courtyard Gainesville
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Gainesville
Seattle, Washington
“Mostly a trouble-free stay.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2010

Since we have family members that work for Marriott, we always pick Courtyard when we have to travel somewhere (and a larger Marriott, JW, Renaissance isn't available).

This hotel is RIGHT off I-75 in Gainesville. Perfect for anyone visiting UF.

The hotel is clean and the service is great, but it is really starting to show it's age. Every Courtyard I've ever stayed has flat screen TV's, this one doesn't. But I'm just being picky. I recommend this place!

The only thing though is the free wifi that is seriously slower than dial-up. C'mon now. Waiting 60 seconds to bring up a website should be a clue this needs to be fixed.

Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
ann arbor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2010

The hotel was nice and the beds were very comfortable and the fitness room pleasantly surprised me. During the week the staff was very professional, but once the weekend hit, it seemed like some of the staff got lazy. I work at a hotel in my hometown, and its not a Marriott brand, I won’t say which brand it is though. My family and I always stay at Marriott’s when we are traveling because we always know the product we will get and the same can not be said for my brand.
At one point we observed some of the staff lounging on couches in the lobby, and hiding in hallways in front of the pool. One front desk clerk was on her computer, watching a movie in the lobby drinking a latte and on her cell phone in a revealing pink dress. That was pretty appalling to me, especially since, like I said before, I work at a very large hotel chain. There were two people who really stood out in a very positive way however, and one was a gentleman working maintenance, always checking the pool and fitness room, and very friendly. The second was Patrick, the graveyard shift clerk, who was funny, and really made us laugh.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
JTabone, General Manager at Courtyard Gainesville, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Dear LollyPopK,

I would first like to thank you for choosing the Marriott brand as your
number one choice while you travel. I understand that you have a lot of
lodging options and we appreciate you making us number one. Coming from a
hospitality employee, you choosing to stay at Marriott hotels is a great
compliment!

I would also like to thank you for your kind comments regarding two of my
associates. Your comments will be passed on to both of those employees and I
will make sure they are recognized for their great customer service. At the
Courtyard by Marriott we set very high standards for all employees and I
appreciate you taking time out of your day to recognize this high level of
service.

Furthermore, I would like assure you that the behavior you witnessed from my
employees while you were here is not acceptable by either Marriott, or my
standards. Unfortunately, my management team and I are unable to be at the
hotel 24 hours a day to supervise our employees. We set very high standards
for our employees and expect them to be meet and exceed those standards
whether we are at the hotel or not.

We will be taking every action to ensure that this type of behavior is not
encountered by any other guest. If you are ever in the area again please do
not hesitate to contact me and I would be glad to have you stay again.

If there is anything I can do for you now or in the future please don't
hesitate to ask.

CY.GNVCY.GM@Marriott.com
Naples, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2010

My son and I stayed at this Courtyard on a Friday and Saturday night in late March. While I found the property fine and most of the staff very nice and properly trained, an issue occured on Saturday evening which left me shaking my head at the incompetance and lack of problem-solving skills given to the front desk clerk. At 6:50pm I called down to the front desk to report that the toilet in our bathroom was not functioning properly and could they please send a maintanence man up with a plunger? The front desk clerk put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back to say that maintanence was gone for the day and would she like me to have her put in a work order for the next morning???? When I explained that that wasn't a suitable response....I mean really, did she honestly expect me to stay in a room without a functioning toilet for more than 12 hours??? She had no other answers, other than to repeat the line "would you like me to put in a work order for the next morning?" I then asked to speak to the manager and she said she was alone and the manager wasn't on property that night. I asked her if I could come down and get a plunger and fix the toilet myself, to which she responded, "the maintanence room is locked and I don't have a key" Finally, she offered to give me another room for the night, which I had to accept and move to without any help from any staff.

When I told her that I felf that she is really being put in a bad situation by her management at night, alone, with no help, she said nothing and that was that. When I came down to get the new room key, there was another employee standing there at the desk with her...turns out she was with housekeeping, yet she couldn't be bothered or evidently didn't have the ability to handle guest issues after maintanence goes home for the night! What a way to run a hotel.......

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
JTabone, General Manager at Courtyard Gainesville, responded to this review, April 22, 2010
Good Afternoon FineWineLover

I would first like to thank you for staying with us while in the Gainesville, Florida area. I realize you have a lot of choices while in the
area and I appreciate you choosing us!

Furthermore, I would like to thank you for your compliments that you regarding my staff. I assure you that all associates go through intensive brand training when hired, as well as periodic "refreshing" training. I expect the very best out of every associate and expect them to use all problem solving techniques available to them.

However, it is apparent that we were unable to meet your expectations during your previous stay. I would like to sincerely apologize for the level of service you received while staying at our property. This service is not what I expect from my associates, and not what every guest has grown to expect from the Courtyard by Marriott brand.

Although it does not fix the problems you had here, I can assure you that every corrective measure has been taken to guarantee this level of service is not received by any guest in the future.

If you are ever in the area again I would be glad to have you back to show you the wonderful service I expect from my team.

If there is anything I can do for you now, or in the future please do not hesitate to contact me.

CY.GNVCY.GM@Marriott.com
Coral Springs, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2010

I have no idea why they rating services give this hotel three stars. The room we got was dated. The towels were very old and scratchy. The tiny, tubed television was fuzzy. As a whole, it doesn't appear that our room has been updated since the 90s.

Of course, as with other Courtyard chains, breakfast was NOT free -- they wanted over $40 to feed my family of four.

To be fair, the hotel wasn't horrible. It simply wasn't a 3 star and certainly wasn't worth its relatively high price tag. Last time we drove through Gainesville, we stayed at the 2-Star La Quinta. That hotel cost us half the price and there was no noticable difference between the rooms. And, the La Quinta gave us free breakfast.

Needless to say, I won't be returning.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank mespy
JTabone, General Manager at Courtyard Gainesville, responded to this review, March 23, 2010
Dear mespy,

Thank you for visiting our hotel and providing valuable feedback and comments.

We are excited that our property will be receiving upgraded flat panel TV's and in the meantime do make every effort to maintain the highest standards in upkeep and operations to ensure guest satisfaction.

I'm sorry that you experienced dissatisfaction with our hotel and that you did not feel you received the experience expected at a three star hotel. We strive to go above and beyond typical free breakfast offerings at other
hotels and in order to accommodate families; we do offer special breakfast rates available at the time of booking your room. These rates include breakfast for a family of four such as yourself; and I would be happy to
help you personally book one of our Stay for Breakfast specials next time you pass through Gainesville.

I thank you for being a guest in our hotel, and want to assure you that I will follow-up on your concerns. I would like to earn your continued
business, so if there is any way that I can be of assistance to you, now or in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me.

cy.gnvcy.gm@marriott.com
Miami
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2010

The hotel was very clean and the rooms surprisingly spacious. Nice little work out center in lobby. Service and staff very friendly. It would have been better if they had thrown in breakfast at no additional cost as many other chains are doing. Hotel just off I-75 and a short drive from the UF campus. If you are looking for something more upscale than a motel this is your place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

Stayed here for a week while my daughter was in a nearby camp. Breakfast was a wonderful start each morning before working from the room. With a view of the pool it was a very nice location. The restaurant is close to many, many restaurants and very easy access to the highway. Staff was very friendly and very accommodating, especially working around my conference calls.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
tampa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

Great hotel, nice room, clean. Would stay here again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple