“AVOID AT ALL COSTS, unless you like rundown prison cells...”

Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Gulf Breeze, FL
“AVOID AT ALL COSTS, unless you like rundown prison cells...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2007

YUCK!
Booked this on Priceline and I will never use Priceline again. I did their "name your own price" option and selected a 3 star hotel, since they did not have any 4 stars in Gainesville. This hotel is a 1 star hotel at best. It is old and rundown in every way.

We got stuck in the elevator twice! The doors open crooked and we had to bang on the doors to get help. The room keys didn't work, so we had to go to the front desk to get new. Even then, only one worked and we had to play with it to make it open. The color scheme of the entire hotel is greyish brown and very unappealing.

Our room was in that brownish color and very dark. The bedding is awful - so thin and wrinkled, almost sheet material for the spread on top. The sheets barely stayed on the mattress just by sitting on the bed. Bathroom was mildewed and there was no vent, so it was very hot when we were trying to get ready. The only nice things I can say about this place is that the room size was acceptable and the close location to UF is good.

• Disliked — dark, dirty, depressing room and getting stuck in the elevator
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank FreethinkingOne
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Richard@paramountplaza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

Ok, we booked this with Priceline for $49 a night. We checked in, found the room after walking down a dark carpet-stained hallway, sat in stunned silence for 10 minutes and left. After washing my hands in the bathroom, a sewerage aroma filled the entire room. The balcony was filled with spiderwebs and mold. The linens and towels were dingy. We were considering staying and just dealing with it until I decided to look under one of the beds. Obviously it had not been vacuumed forever...lots of dust, hair, and old pretzels. The ice machine was not working on our floor as well, and the door to the pool had a broken lock, so anyone could get into the building. We did not complain, just gave back our keys to the front desk and left quickly. I contacted Priceline when I got home. This is listed as a 2 and a half star resort! More like 1 star if that. They would not give me my $49 back, they offered a $10 credit toward a future stay. Obviously, I am not ever using Priceline again. Too risky. I did use them for 3 other stays this summer and they were fine, but the risk is too high you'll get a dive. If we stayed, the rest of our vacation could have been ruined if the hotel had fleas or bedbugs, which I did not see, but would not rule out. Stay away from this place!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank momtokande

florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2007

I visit gainesville several times a year because my son is a student at UF. Usually I stay at the hilton which is very nice. My son recently moved to a new apartment and I decided to try a different hotel hopefully closer to my son's apartment.I went online and research the different hotels in gainesville and discovered the paramount plaza . It was located very close to my son's apartment he lives right across the street from Uf ,and It looked very nice from pictures online , but after reading reviews on trip advisor I was hesitent about reserving a room there. I decided to take a chance and go to gainesville without a reservation and check out the hotel first hand.
upon arriving at the paramount it is a well kept building and well manicured grounds. when I walked into lobby I liked what I saw. It appeared very clean , air temperture quite cool on a hot august day. The staff at the front desk where pleasent and helpful.I decided to give them a chance. I appreciated the security . all rooms are located in an inside corrider. you have to use your room key to gain entrance into hall leading to your room. I felt very safe which was important to me as i was traveling by myself with a two year old. The rooms are a bit worn , and could do with an update to keep up with level of service one would expect paying 119.00 a night ,but all in all the room was very clean. there where plenty of towels and adequate toiletries,The best feature to the room was a blacony that overlooked well kept grounds and even a lake.The pool was very clean and set on the lake so it was very tranquil. they provide pool towels and this was a nice touch.I did have a chance to check out happy hour which was offering domestic beers for 2 00. service was good. In the morning my daughter and i had breakfast in the hotel resturant. service was good and they served me enough food for four .breakfast was very satisfying and i am sorry to say we could not eat all and left so much behind , but not because it was not tasty. All in all I enjoyed my stay there and will stay again on my next visit

• Liked — the balcony
  • Disliked — rooms a little outdated
  • Stayed August 2007

South Windsor, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

I recently stayed for four nights at the Paramount and found it clean, spacious and very nice. The sheets and towels were a bit rough compared to other hotels but the location and the staff were wonderful. I would however agree with other reviewers that you shouldn't eat there, at least not for breakfast, I can't attest to the other two meals. The service was great and very pleasant, but my eggs were stone cold one day and my pancakes the next time I tried were even colder. They were also inedible. Yuck. My son was happy with his meal both days, but he is happy to eat just about anything! Thank you for the nice stay though, Paramount. I found it quite good.

Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2007

I am a travel nurse and stay in Gainesville 3-4 days a week. The hotel had an ad for $39 a night which was not available. I booked my 3 days. The halls were dark. The carpet was smelly. I got stuck in the elevator 3 times during my stay. Fortunately for me the 1st time I got stuck in the elevators an employee was there and I watched him get the elevator going. So, I was able to get it going when I was alone. The room was dark and smelly.
I saw large BUGs in the room. I carry my own bug spray and killed them. I was resting during day and another large BUG came out from under the recliner and crawled all over the chair until I killed it. I was going to stay another day until this happened.I packed my bags and got out of there! It looks good from the outside. However, it's a DUMP on the inside. I wish I had a picture to submit.

• Disliked — BUGS in my room. Live, moving BUGS!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business

ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2007

Spacious and clean rooms, but not worth the rate that I found on hotels.com and expedia which was $99 per night. I ended up getting it for half that on priceline. The hotel is right on a lake and the first floor where we stayed had a persistent mildew smell. The towels were extremely rough and parking was difficult especially when they had events at their conference center.

The hotel staff were very nice and when they erroneously charged me directly for the room when I tried to check out, they fixed it immediately.

• Liked — The view of the lake
  • Disliked — Mildew smell
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
I'm so sorry to hear about your negative experience with your stay. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2007

We stayed there June 12/13, 2007 and had a bottom floor room in the 1000 building. The room was comfortable, clean and entirely satisfactory. Could not check in at 2.30 pm when we arrived.
Corridors on this floor had a drab, dreary and unexciting almost institutional colour scheme, . could badly do with a change in colour to make them more inviting. Would stay here again.

• Liked — Price/location
  • Disliked — decor of corridors
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, June 1, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Paramount Plaza Hotel & Suites. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new carpet, furniture, mattresses, microwaves, mini-fridges, and flat screen TV's in each room. Our on-site restaurant is also being updated offering a hot breakfast buffet and daily happy hour specials. Make sure you contact us again to check out the changes we have made since this review.

(352)377-4000