“Paramount Plaza-"What you get for the money."”

Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Ranked #28 of 47 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 24, 2010

Stayed at the Paramount Plaza in June for pleasure trip to check out the college town of Gainesville, Fl.
Got a great deal online at hotel website. It's what you'd expect for the money.
It is centrally located and only a few minutes drive into town.
We stayed in the older "2000" wing of the hotel.
Although we had a balcony lakeside view-
I would not stand out on the balcony if you paid me! It was a tad dirty, and many bugs were aloft. It was raining off and on so the humidity level was way up.
The carpets were dingy in the room and in the hallway, although the room was clean. The beds were comfortable with a slight bleachy smell. I guess that is considered a good thing?
The in-room safe was broken.
Didn't use room service or the pool, business center or gym.
Parking near the entrance of my building was often scarce.
We did have to request extra soap and shampoo and also towels a few times while we were there. Went to front desk to pick up soap/towels ourselves.
When it was time to checkout there were no hotel carts available to load our luggage on.
All in all our stay at this hotel was just "okay" but it could have been better.
I was not impressed.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
PlazaMgmt, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2010

Thank you for staying with us recently and taking the time to share your thoughts. I apologize that your stay was just okay, we truly strive to ensure all of our guest do enjoy their stay. I am also very sorryt hat you did not get to enjoy your balcony. However, we have been and are still continuing a process of pressure washing and deep cleaning each one. I sincerely hope that you would consider our hotel in the future as we continue to try to improve our property.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,394)

Reviewed July 18, 2010

The over all experience at Paramount Plaza was nice. Checking in was simple and easy, the front desk staff was very polite. The room was great, beds were comfortable, bathroom clean, great wireless internet, etc. Shortly after checking in the front desk guy called to make sure our room was good and asked if we needed anything. Which made us feel like we were special. Me and my friend stayed only 1 night but If we go back to Gainesville we will definitely stay there again. Thank you Paramount for the great experience!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Reviewed July 16, 2010

I have stayed here no less than 10 times in the last few years and I have never been dissapointed. Nothing is perfect but you cant beat the service and value at this property.
I travel constantly for business and this place is a quiet oasis. Rooms and grounds are clean, staff is super nice, even the resturant is good. I dont know where the negative reviews come from. I have nothing but good things to say about this hotel

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at the Paramount Plaza and taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We greatly appreciate your staying with us a number of times in the past, and we hope that you will continue to stay with us in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2010

Paramount Plaza was an affordable yet very nice place to stay at in Gainesville, Florida. From booking the room before our stay to the service we received during our stay, the people working in the lobby couldn't have been any nicer. The rooms were spacious and clean, and they have free WiFi high speed internet, The hotel was located centrally in Gainesville near restaurants, and just a few miles away from the University of Florida. Overall, my experience at this hotel was GREAT and i would definitely stay again the next time i visit Gainesville.

1  Thank gatormom1245

Reviewed July 12, 2010

Very sketchy area of town, drugs and hookers prevalent. See Naleigh's review below and mine could be identical except my stay was 2 weeks before. I got my room on Priceline and prepaid or I would have left, my Dad was in the hospital at Shands so I only slept there,
but mold and smell unbearable, I had to spray down with lysol before sleeping. The staff was nice though and did refund my "amenity" fee since internet was "down" in my building. The glowing reviews must be bogus or they have different clean rooms for a few guests who have not stayed in a real hotel room before.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Julie R

Reviewed July 10, 2010

Even with a $2.50/day resort fee and taxes, my room was under $60 using AAA discount. It's been a number of years since I stayed at this property and I believe it was a Sheraton then. I was very pleased with our stay. Excellent service, nice size room with a lakeview balcony. The pool is resort size and only had a few people in it when we were there. I had noticed some reviews complained about wireless. I asked when we checked in and we stayed in the 1000 building with no problems at all. Looking at other Gainesville options, the only thing close to this price would be a mom and pop motel or a budget hotel at the interstate and I much prefer something closer to town with some character.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
PlazaMgmt, Front Office Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2010

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at our location. We strive to provide the best value for our guests in Gainesville while still providing all the latest amenities (wireless internet, business center, shuttle service, and fitness center.) Many of our guests do thoroughly enjoy the Paramount Plaza's scenic location on the lake and I am happy to read that you were able to get a lakefront room. I was also thrilled to read that we will be your hotel of choice when in the Gainesville area. Again, thank you for staying with us and sharing your thoughts with the Trip Advisor community.

Reviewed July 6, 2010

My Fraternity brothers met up in Gainesville over the forth of July weekend and had a great stay at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful with information about the area. We enjoyed having drinks out by the pool and just being able to hang out and socialize in a comfortable setting. My thanks to Dan and his staff for setting us up with a nice reception area at the last minute, the food was fantastic!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends

Thank you for spending your 4th of July weekend at the Paramount Plaza while visiting with old friends. Our staff works to provide excellent customer service to all of our valued guests and I am glad to read that we were able to set up a reception for your reunion at the last minute. If you are ever in need of lodging in Gainesville, I hope we will be your first choice.