New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Ranked #17 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Deltona, Fl
“Charge for 'FREE' amenities”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in 2010 & it was 2.5 stars at that time, and is now upgraded to 3 stars due to renovations. I won this hotel on Priceline for $66 before taxes. I overheard the front desk quote that evenings rate at $69, so not a great savings, but still for this price, a nice place. I am guessing that prices are higher when there is something going on at the college, which is very close. The reason I am giving 4 stars as opposed to my previous 5 is that a charge of $2.78 showed up on my bank statement a few days after I got home. I called to find out what this mysterious fee was for. I was told that I was informed at check-in there would be a daily amenities charge & it could be proved because it was circled in red on their card, which gave me a chuckle. No initialing, just a red circle around something—oh well, & no recollection of being told of the charge or seeing the red circle at check in. I inquired what the amenities were that I was paying the extra $2.50 + tax per day included. It includes parking, use of the fitness center & the business center, use of the pool, & WI Fi. This is a ‘principal’ complaint & not because I am cheap & probably the reason I didn’t pursue having the charge removed. Its very unprofessional, in my opinion. I base my star ratings on the cost of the room vs. the cleanliness, FREE amenities, etc. of a hotel.

The hotel has added new carpet in the halls & rooms, new paint, altho some of the hallways were still a work in progress. New flat screen tv’s have replaced the analogs, new bathrooms & beds & bedding, & new wall hangings. I believe there were many complaints back in 2010 on not having king beds, but this seems to be corrected. Our room was clean & well furnished with towels, etc. for the one nite we stayed. There is a small balcony off the room with 2 chairs. Unfortunately, the room next door, has their back end of the a/c on your balcony & is extremely loud, so we opted to sit down by the pool instead. The surrounding grounds are lovely with a nice lake, alligators included. The pool area is large with many chairs & tables. There is a bar & restaurant with decent prices & looked appetizing, but we did not eat here. There is a Starbucks in the lobby, altho free coffee is provided in the room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank redundantecho
Robert K, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. I will be addressing all the issues that you spoke about with each department head. We have gone through many changes and the renovations are still underway. We hope to be finished with everything by mid summer 2013. The Lakeside Grill & Bar long with our Starbucks Coffee station. Our pool is a great added feature that sits on Bivens Lake and we are glad that you got to enjoy it. I hope that when you are back in the area again that you will contact us for your accomidations. Please call me direct to book your reservation, 352-377-4000 ext 3182

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Seneca, South Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The good...very friendly customer service oriented staff, spacious rooms, beautiful grounds, delicious, inexpensive muffins at Starbucks, good overall location in Gainesville.
The bad...the pillows felt like small bags of foam pieces, very lumpy. And they add a $2.50 nightly resort/activity charge. But the only activities tht I could tell are the pool and fitness center, which nearly every hotel has. The activity fee seems a bit pretentious. Just add the the $2.50 into the price of the room if you need it that badly.
With all that said, when it is not a ball game or graduation weekend, the rates are great for the rooms you get. We'll be back for son's wedding. (It is an off weekend.)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We are so glad that you stayed with us. The Paramount Plaza charges a small amenity fee not an activity fee. Our amenity fee covers the cost of such things like the wirelss internet, parking, happy hour, guest laundry, business center, in room safe, safe deposit box, Avis car rental just to mention a few. We try to offer a great rate everyday for our guest and demand will cause our rates to jump sometimes. We are currently under major renovations and part of that will be changing all our pillows. We hope that if your back in the area again you will give us another try, please contact me direct at 352-377-4000 ext 3182

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2013

I am graduating this weekend and came to the lakeside grill with my parents. We came last night and canceled our other reservation to come back here. The bartenders, servers, and management were awesome! Allen was great and Josh has cool tricks!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert K, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
We are so happy that you had a great time. Allen is a great long term employee and Josh is our new Bar Manager and a great asset. Congrats to you for graduating from UF.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Graduation weekend..
Allen the Lakeside Grill made our visit a true memory...
We enjoyed happy hour and dinner twice.....
Actually cancelled reservations at a restaurant to go back to Lakeside.
Had great drinks and dinner!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for the kind review. We hope that if your back in the area again that you will allow us to accomidate you. Allen is one of our great long term employees and we will let him know about our comments

Robert
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have given this hotel positive reviews in the past but it just gets better !!!
The staff is truly wonderful, the renovations and beautiful and the "new" menu in the resturant is very good !!! My family and I stayed there on the way up to Atlanta for spring break and it was great. Unfortunately while we were on our way back to South FL my mom passed away. We had to get home, repack and head back north. I contacted Robert (mgr) and let him know we were going to need a room. Even though they were booked solid they found a way to accomadate us. They were undergoing pretty major renovations during that time and on the trip back pretty much everything was new. We wound up staying there 4 times in 2 weeks and I cant say enough about the room and the experiance. Why stay in a boring big chain hotel next to the interstate when you could be staying here ???

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HollywoodGrizz
Robert K, General Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Mr Grizz the Paramount Plaza and staff are truly sorry for your loss. We are so pleased that we accomidate you and your family. It is a joy to know that my staff made you feel at home, unlike the big chains that I have worked for many years, the Paramount can offer you that little somthing extra that you might not find elsewhere, like fresh brewed Starbucks Coffee, new renovated rooms overlooking Bivens Lake, or a balcony in everyroom. You might also find a nice stroll on the 7 acers of land. Again, thank you for the great review and we look forward to many more return visits.

Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed here on a recommendation from a friend. What a value on graduation weekend. The restaurant and bar staff were so fun and we felt like we were home. Stay here. The staff was friendly and accommodating. Under renovation right now and still nice.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
What a great review ! I would like to say thank you for your taking the time to let us know about your visit. I is a pleasure to know that we made you feel at home and that Allen took such great care of you. I will make sure that he is aware of your review. It's comments and reviews like yours that keep us moving to the top. We hope that if your back in the area again that you will allow us the pleasure of accomidating you again. We hope to have all our renovations done by mid 2014.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

Attended GHS Reunion (57 yes). I had Room 1301 and it was also used as our hospitality room. Everyone loved everything about the hotel. It was a pleasure working with Mark McClain.We plan to return there again next year.

Thanks for being there.
Louise Litsinger

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Robert K, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review for us. It is guest comments like yours that help us climb to the top. It is nice that we have those great Family Suites like room 1301 that sit on the water with a balcony. When you are back in Gainesville again make sure to ask for one of our newly renovated suites. Again, thank you for the rave review.