“Skanky! Stay at your own risk!”

Wyndham Garden Gainesville
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Gainesville
GreenLeadersSilver level
Austin, Texas
“Skanky! Stay at your own risk!”
Reviewed February 11, 2008

This used to be a Sheraton, so the physical layout is good -- rooms are nicely sized. When I got ready for bed, I pulled the sheets back to check and discovered the sheets had small specks of matter on them. When I called to the desk, they asked what I'd prefer they do - and I suggested changing to clean sheets would be helpful. In about 15 minutes a hotel employee appeared and said he had the wrong sheets; he returned in another 15 minutes and handed me a bottom fitted sheet and left. I called the desk again to complain about the omission of a top sheet, and the clerk said it would be sent, but it never arrived. I made up a bed with that sheet and a blanket. My greatest concern was that the bed had bedbugs - but it did not appear to be the case.

In the AM, I discovered the in-room coffee maker had no carafe. When I got to the restaurant and Starbucks bar, I found there was a single employee -- who was on a room service call. After a 10 minute wait, I managed to buy a cup of coffee and muffin. Colleagues who attempted a hot breakfast waited considerably longer.

• Stayed February 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank heathjp
Richard A, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Gainesville, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
We, at the Paramount, appreciate you taking your time to leave a review. Our property is undergoing major renovations including new mattresses, furniture, carpet, TV's, mini-fridges, and microwaves. Our full service restaurant is also being updated featuring a hot breakfast buffet along with great evening Happy Hour specials. We offer a shuttle service that runs between the airport, Shands hospital, and the University of Florida for guests' convenience. I hope you have a chance to give us another try to experience the changes. I'm sure you will be impressed with the difference in the property since this review was written. Contact us directly to book a reservation!

Richard@paramountplaza.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed January 10, 2008

My fiance and I needed a place to stay for the night, as our condo was being renovated and we did not have access to the bathrooms during the renovation process. We booked one night at the Paramount Plaza Hotel because it was conveniently located down the street from our complex. The front lobby appeared to be newly renovated, and our room was nicely decorated. However, the hallways to our room resembled an office building from the mid 80's. The hallway lighting was dingy and we had to walk through a maze of doors and staircases to reach our room. This is not the current owner's fault...just an example of poor design (I think it was a Radisson Hotel before it became a Paramount). If you are looking for a top-notch hotel and are willing to pay more for a room, visit the Hilton hotel next to campus. Otherwise, save money and stay at the Paramount and sacrifice a little bit of luxury.

• Liked — location, price
  • Disliked — parts of hotel don't look like they've been renovated since the mid 1980's.
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple

Pembroke Pines,Florida
Reviewed January 2, 2008

We have stayed at the Paramount Plaza in Gainesville,Florida several times and we love the convenient location,the comfort and cleanliness of the rooms as well as the amenities featured; coffee in the room,movies available on tv,great on-site restaurant and the safe and secure atmosphere.We highly recommend this Hotel to anyone traveling to Gainesville or Ocala.We find the staff to be very accommodating and pleasantly helpful!We tell all our friends and relatives about this unique hotel and we wouldn't stay anywhere else but here!

• Liked — Convenience,location,amenities,comfort,cleanliness,friendliness of Staff
  • Disliked — No Negative comments-none
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family

Florida
Reviewed December 13, 2007

This hotel has a lake view with beautiful oak trees and the traditional moss hanging from them that gives a quaint atmosphere. the pool is very nice with the outdoor gazebo where they hold weddings at different times of the year. They have a dining room and lounge. Internet access is free and nice areas for lounging around. All and all a nice hotel to relax and enjoy your stay in Gainesville.

• Liked — The atmosphere and friendly staff
  • Disliked — The TV location
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple

Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed December 12, 2007

Since the rates were quite inexpensive, I was not expecting luxury accommodations. The staff was friendly and very helpful and the fact that they had a shuttle bus and a rental car location were big pluses. The rooms were more than adequate. The fact that they did not have any free offerings for breakfast or happy hour was a disappointment but not a deal breaker. I plan to stay there on my next visit to Gainesville.

• Liked — Friendly, helpful staff
  • Disliked — WiFi was not working
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo

oklahoma city
Reviewed November 15, 2007

My overall experence with the Paramount Plaza Hotel and Conference Center in Gainesville Florida was much more than I expected and the amenities and customer service are far above what is offered and delivered to me while traveling on a regular basis. bIf staying in Gainesville Florida, it is a must stay and great value!

JT

Stayed November 2007

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed November 12, 2007

This hotel was the hotel chosen to host a large conference for students involved in university residence life, of which I was an attendee. The rooms were paid for as part of the conference fee, so I can't comment on value. However, despite the hotel's website boasts of an "upscale" property, the traveler coupon books listed rates as low as $38.95. Not a good sign.

The hotel itself looks nice from the outside, with the lakeside pool and gazebo. The lobby too looks updated with plants and a piano located outside the restaurant's entrance.

This hotel was built in the '70's, when it was fashionable to build hotels with guest buildings that aren't connected o the check-in/lobby area. Rooms are in the 1000 section or the 2000 section, the latter being in the building farthest away from the lobby. The walkway between the lobby and the guestroom buildings isn't even covered, so it was fortunate that it didn't rain! The paint job in the hallways seemed to be poorly done, in the sense that pieces like door frames weren't masked before the paint went on. Areas of the interior hallways weren't well lit, and the elevators are troublesome. While I didn't get trapped in them, they creaked, groaned, moved very slowly, and in general didn't inspire confidence. The carpeting and walls of the elevator were pretty beat up as well.

Room 2412 showed signs of wear. It almost looked like the hotel had put in new furniture and amenities in the room but without fixing up the room itself. The result is that the paint is still sloppy and the carpets are still worn and stained. The hotel makes an attempt to look upscale by putting on faux "duvet" covers. Problem is, those covers are paper thin, not to mention pilling and unraveling. So they only look upscale. The elastic on the sheets was worn to the point where the sheets barely stayed on the bed. Other than that, though, the bed was fine and did provide a good night's rest. The room was clean besides the stained carpeting.

On the first night, the shower water failed to heat up. On the second night the water temperature was fine, though on both nights the drain worked slowly. The caulking around the bathtub was coming off in thin strips- not a good sign.

Some of the students who were a part of the conference could access the hotel's wireless internet. Some could not. I, unfortunately, fell into the second category, even after restarting my computer, refreshing and repairing the connection, and attempting to get help from the desk. That was mostly unhelpful, as they told me to do the things I had already tried. Eventually they shrugged their shoulders in an "Oh, well" sort of way. So accessing the wireless here is completely random, and the staff will not help you if you have problems. There is only one computer in the lobby, and its internet connection was slow more often than not.

A small note: Sometimes when the hotel has a conference, they close the kitchen in the restaurant to prepare banquet food. So call ahead if you're interested in eating in the on-site restaurant.

The hotel hosted a banquet dinner and dance party, and both were handled well by the staff.

Overall, it's hard to characterize this hotel. While it fundamentally gets the job done in a decent manner, there are too many small problems that accumulated. That and the poor Wi-fi connectivity (and the staff's inability to help with it) drag the entire property down. The staff is friendly enough if not exactly helpful, and it is clean enough for an overnight stay. And they do handle large conferences well. However, I'm sure there are better hotels in Gainesville if you look around. But if you can get the $39 coupon rate, then go ahead and try them. But if you plan on using their wi-fi, don't. That way, you won't be disappointed if it doesn't work.

• Liked — Acceptably clean, can get low price
  • Disliked — Spotty Wi-fi, property needs renovations, unhelpful staff
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business